Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2007 (Wednesday) 19:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the 20D still manufactured and sold new?

Cam_Bell
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 05, 2007 19:42 |  #1

Im looking for a DSLR and the 20D seems like a good choice, if I do get one Ill probably get it used, but I cant seem to be able to find it at local shops and lots of online stores. I know its out there, Ive seen it a few times, but the real question is, is it still manufactured and sold new? or has it been replaced by the 30D and dismissed as obsolete?

Also, is it compatible with old canon film camera lenses? the guy in the shop said no, so buy the pentax k10D (which I am still considering) but I have heard other wise and the canon site seems to say theyre compatible. the question is mostly in reference to saving money, whether or not theres a wide selection of used lenses I can buy.

Thanks

sponsored links
SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2007 19:48 |  #2

No, it is discontinued. That said, used 20Ds are still a very good choice, they trump over the 350D/400D and can be found for cheaper than the 400D.

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

twofruitz
840 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 05, 2007 20:05 |  #3

Up to the 40d buddy :) The 20d hasn't been manufactured in over 2 years.

Gear List

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2007 20:10 |  #4

If you change your mind about a 20D, I got an XT kit for sale ;)

20D is an excellent choice if you head that direction, you can probably din one in the sale section :)

Any EF or EF-S lens will fit the 20D (30 40D XT350D XTi400D). EOS film cameras only use EF lenses, which would be compatible. But the older canon mounts, nope.

-Andy-

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 05, 2007 20:16 |  #5

Cam_Bell wrote in post #4447836 (external link)
Im looking for a DSLR and the 20D seems like a good choice, if I do get one Ill probably get it used, but I cant seem to be able to find it at local shops and lots of online stores. I know its out there, Ive seen it a few times, but the real question is, is it still manufactured and sold new? or has it been replaced by the 30D and dismissed as obsolete?

Also, is it compatible with old canon film camera lenses? the guy in the shop said no, so buy the pentax k10D (which I am still considering) but I have heard other wise and the canon site seems to say theyre compatible. the question is mostly in reference to saving money, whether or not theres a wide selection of used lenses I can buy.

Thanks

The 20D is the newest camera I own and I love it. Mine was the first non-kit 20D into my local store in 2004 and it's still going strong.

The guy in the camera store is partially correct. If the lenses are EF or EF-S mount lenses, then they are compatible with any Canon EOS camera, whether it is digital or film. Most of the lenses I am using with my 20D I purchased for use with my EOS film cameras. They fit the EOS digital bodies with no problems at all. If the Canon lenses are the older FD, FL, R, and S mount lenses then they will not work on the 20D.

John

gkas
511 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Dec 05, 2007 20:23 |  #6

I happened to notice that buydig.com still has them new, with warranty for $799. I was really surprised. They're part of Beach Camera. I just got a Canon SD800 for my son at a great price. Plus, free shipping. They also have the 30D for $100 more!! A pretty good deal.

Gerry Kaslowski
gkas@socal.rr.com (external link)
Gerry's Pics http://MikeKazPhotogra​phy.com/Gerry/ (external link)

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2007 20:24 |  #7

JWright wrote in post #4448027 (external link)
If the lenses are EF or EF-S mount lenses, then they are compatible with any Canon EOS camera, whether it is digital or film.

sorry this isn't entirely true. 5D and above are not EF-S compatible, nor are any film cameras EF-S compatible.

-Andy-

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 05, 2007 20:26 |  #8

Do a google search, there are a number of reputable dealers still listing them in stock as brand new.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 05, 2007 20:33 |  #9

SolidxSnake wrote in post #4447872 (external link)
No, it is discontinued. That said, used 20Ds are still a very good choice, they trump over the 350D/400D and can be found for cheaper than the 400D.

I wouldn't say it "trumps" the XTi/400.

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 05, 2007 20:50 |  #10

MaxxuM wrote in post #4448124 (external link)
I wouldn't say it "trumps" the XTi/400.

in ergonomics it sure does :)

richardsc0
693 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 05, 2007 22:44 |  #11

I bought a 20D freshly refurbished from Canon off of e-bay this summer, and I don't regret it one bit. The 20D isn't fancy and brand new ... but Canon will still service it, and if you get one that's fresh from canon service, it should be almost like new!

randomlinh wrote in post #4448217 (external link)
in ergonomics it sure does

This is very true. My roomate had an XTi, and I really disliked it's size. My hands are not large, but the XTi still felt small in my hands. I wouldn't feel comfortable using say, the 70-200 f/2.8, on that camera.

wolf
738 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 05, 2007 23:18 as a reply to  @ richardsc0's post |  #12

Beach Camera (external link) has new 20d's for $813.

<> My Gear <>

taylorwilsdon
382 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 05, 2007 23:53 |  #13

wolf wrote in post #4448977 (external link)
Beach Camera (external link) has new 20d's for $813.

That seems like alot for an old camera. Why not just buy a gently used 30d for $775? Less money, better camera, not a refurb (roxors)

Shooting with the Canon 5D & Nikon D300... and now the 20D!

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,331 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 05, 2007 23:56 |  #14

taylorwilsdon wrote in post #4449117 (external link)
That seems like alot for an old camera. Why not just buy a gently used 30d for $775? Less money, better camera, not a refurb (roxors)

better yet i'll have a used, loooow-click 30d for sale in a couple of days for $699 that's still under warranty and i'll include two gigs of sandisk memory and an extra battery :D!

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

taylorwilsdon
382 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 06, 2007 00:02 |  #15

Exactly. That sounds like a great deal Ed, screw paying 8 bills for an outdated camera that cost little more then that when it was released, no matter how new it is.

Shooting with the Canon 5D & Nikon D300... and now the 20D!

sponsored links

2,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the 20D still manufactured and sold new?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.