Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 08 Dec 2007 (Saturday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Florida bird pics help me ID please

bromm
Cream of the Crop
6,920 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 09, 2007 08:51 as a reply to  @ post 4468445 |  #16

I looked at your photo data (EXIF data) and noticed you had exposure compensation set at -.5, when shooting dark objects against a lighter background go +(positive) exposure compensation, the greater the backlight the more +EC you need. you could also set your exposure bracketing to get three shots at different exposures to find the right balance. Your photos look sharp, so once you get the exposure correct you are on your way.:D

Trevor Wadman

Canon 40D/350D Canon 400L F/5.6, Canon 70-200L F/4 non IS. Tamron 100-300,Canon 18-55 Kit Lens. Canon 1.4 II Extender, Canon 430EX speedlight.
http://s41.photobucket​.com/albums/e286/bromm​/ (external link)

sponsored links
gajipr
THREAD ­ STARTER
177 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 15:16 |  #17

bromm wrote in post #4468622 (external link)
I looked at your photo data (EXIF data) and noticed you had exposure compensation set at -.5, when shooting dark objects against a lighter background go +(positive) exposure compensation, the greater the backlight the more +EC you need. you could also set your exposure bracketing to get three shots at different exposures to find the right balance. Your photos look sharp, so once you get the exposure correct you are on your way.:D

thank you sir i will take this into consideration. yes thats makes alot of sense i just corrected the exposure compensation. Happy holidays..take care

cheers joey

Portrait | Engagement | Event | Wedding | Spiritual Photographer
http://lotuseyesphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Alex ­ Paul
Goldmember
3,708 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 09, 2007 16:27 |  #18

Hi Dave... It is my understanding from info from the Audubon Society, that common Gallinule is indeed the species that has 12 sub species.. One of those sub species is the Common Moorhen, another is the Purple Gallinule, so are the Coots... etc. Now I could be wrong because it has happened before, but I believe I understand what the Audubon society is stating.... Take care :)....Alex

davewalters wrote in post #4468445 (external link)
To clarify Common Gallinule is the same as a Common Moorhen - same bird, different names.

"If I had any pride I'd be ashamed of myself"
Gear: Yes
300D with kit lens. ;)

davewalters
458 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 09, 2007 17:33 |  #19

Hi Alex not entirely sure what you mean tbh but here in the UK we actually refer to the species as Moorhen or Waterhen. It's my understanding that the ABA refers to it as Common Gallinule to differentiate from American Purple Gallinule and Purple Gallinule (both full and different species unrelated to Coots) which is introduced, as is Moorhen to the U S of states.

Dale ­ Siscoe
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 09, 2007 18:16 |  #20

What lake in central florida, I am from Lake Istokpoga, also great first shots.

My Gallery at http://www.dale.zenfol​io.com (external link)

gajipr
THREAD ­ STARTER
177 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 18:32 |  #21

Dale Siscoe wrote in post #4471404 (external link)
What lake in central florida, I am from Lake Istokpoga, also great first shots.

Lake Apopka in Winter Garden florida...fact lake apopka used to be one of best fishing lakes in the US check out WIKIPEDIA below !

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Lake_Apopka (external link)

Portrait | Engagement | Event | Wedding | Spiritual Photographer
http://lotuseyesphotog​raphy.com (external link)

MDoc
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 09, 2007 19:52 |  #22

Some very nice shots of our florida birds Joey

Ray : "My pictures are only worth 100 words"

Alex ­ Paul
Goldmember
3,708 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 10, 2007 18:54 |  #23

Hi Dave... If you Google Common Gallinule, you will see the explanation... listed. If I read, and understood it correctly, (at least in the States) the Species is as you say, but the breakdown into sub species is what is most interesting... It listed the Coot as a sub species which was news to me.... along with 11 others which also includes the Common Moorhen.... Hey I just enjoy shooting them... I'm glad you forced me to check as it is an education for me as well... Take care my friend...Alex

davewalters wrote in post #4471182 (external link)
Hi Alex not entirely sure what you mean tbh but here in the UK we actually refer to the species as Moorhen or Waterhen. It's my understanding that the ABA refers to it as Common Gallinule to differentiate from American Purple Gallinule and Purple Gallinule (both full and different species unrelated to Coots) which is introduced, as is Moorhen to the U S of states.

"If I had any pride I'd be ashamed of myself"
Gear: Yes
300D with kit lens. ;)

sponsored links

2,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
Florida bird pics help me ID please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.