Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Dec 2007 (Tuesday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's The Closest You Have Come To Being Robbed Of Your Camera Gear?

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2007 18:07 |  #1

As I have been building up my collection of equipment it has become apparent just how valuable the contents of my camera bag are, even with just a few lenses, one body and some accessories. Some of you must carry round many thousands of pounds or dollars' worth of equipment with you.

This fact probably isn't lost on the average street criminal, so I was wondering if anyone here has any scary stories of how you nearly lost all your gear to a criminal whilst out photographing.

I'm sure a lot of you work alone and in some rough areas, so it must be a real worry there.

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 11, 2007 18:31 |  #2

The closest I've come is when my girlfriend threatened to confiscate my camera if I pointed it at her one more time trying to take a candid :P.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2007 18:33 |  #3

That's really dangerous. You could have lost more than your camera! :lol:

Gear list

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,242 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 11, 2007 19:23 |  #4

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4485519 (external link)
As I have been building up my collection of equipment it has become apparent just how valuable the contents of my camera bag are, even with just a few lenses, one body and some accessories. Some of you must carry round many thousands of pounds or dollars' worth of equipment with you.

This fact probably isn't lost on the average street criminal, so I was wondering if anyone here has any scary stories of how you nearly lost all your gear to a criminal whilst out photographing.

I'm sure a lot of you work alone and in some rough areas, so it must be a real worry there.

Mike

I shoot in a lot of bad neighborhoods but the closest I've ever come to getting stuff ripped off was when I was shooting a high end wedding 12 years ago or so at Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago. I had a bag with a couple of Sunpack 622 and 4 or 5 quantum batteries in it and stopped a guy dressed in a suit from walking out with it.

I have a good friend that was at the Drake hotel and brought all his stuff in and it was on a cart. Went to move his car and when he came back it was GONE. 3 Hasselblad 500C/Ms, 4 or 5 Zeiss Lenses, studio lights, backdrop, portable lights, EVERYTHING gone. He was luck his assistant had a couple cameras and some strobes or he woulda been really up the creek.

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2007 19:27 |  #5

Blimey! That reminds me that I must make sure my gear is insured.

Mike

Gear list

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 11, 2007 19:37 |  #6

I'm out frequently at 2-3am walking to and from pubs in town for gigs and social photos and so far haven't had any problems... I'm very conscious of the fact that I'm carrying around approximately $8,000 of gear and am quite cautious - parking as close as possible to venues, leaving with people I know etc. etc... not always possible but I like to be careful.

Everything's insured, I'm more worried about getting a beaten in head for the gear rather than losing the gear as, well, when it comes down to it it's only stuff and I can get more.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 11, 2007 19:38 |  #7

I am not sure this would have been robbery or stupidly gifting. About 6 months ago, I was in Dublin on business. Some locals told me about a place to shoot sunrise along the coast about 30 miles across town from where I was staying. I got up really early and was there for the shoot. Upon leaving, I noticed one more opporunity. I sat down the camera bag, put the camera on the tripod and took the shots.

As I was about to put the tripod away, I thought I would leave the camera connected as there may be a good shot around the corner, so I put the mounted camera in the car and took off. There was nothing around the corner and rush hour Dublin would be upon me soon, so I headed back to the hotel. At the hotel, I went to unpack and realized I had left the camera bag on the dock - with my 24-105L and 100-400L, polarizers, memory cards etc. So the bag was 30 miles away and across a big city. Stress, Panic!!! I drove the next hour like a man with a mission. Arriving at the dock, there sat my bag next to a local fisherman. The guy figured a schoolboy had left it and was going to take it home so it wouldnt get wet when it rained later in the day.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

Matthew ­ Hicks ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 11, 2007 19:51 |  #8

Best I've got is the time I had a lens cap stolen by a snowbank...

Calgary Wedding Photography by Matthew Hicks: www.matthicksphoto.com (external link)

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 11, 2007 20:40 |  #9

Well I got my head bashed in (jumped from behind) and spend a week in hospital over a couple of leicas. The guy left with nothing (I do remember feeling the back of his eye socket with my finger so maybe he had a black eye), I was blind for a week or so and had no sense of balance for about 3 months. Does that count as close?

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2007 20:56 |  #10

Jim, then there's the added problem of keeping an eye on your camera bag when you are occupied taking photos!

Buddy, that was lucky! :-D

Trainboy, I hope it was insured! :lol:

Quad, yes, that does sound a bit too close for comfort. :-(

Gear list

Riff ­ Raff
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 12, 2007 02:19 as a reply to  @ Mike-DT6's post |  #11

I haven't come close. But around the time I realized that I was going to be walking out the door with about $4000 in the bag, I certainly called my insurance company quickly. I ended up both increasing the limit on photography equipment for my homeowner's policy (with the $1000 deductible) and getting a separate personal articles policy from State Farm (with no deductible). I worry slightly less now. :lol:

Shawn McHorse - Shawn.McHorse.com (external link) / AustinRocky.org (external link)
DSLR: 5D Mark III Compact: S100 Flash: 580EX II Bag: Tamrac Rally 5
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS,
50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8

my ­ name ­ is ­ always ­ taken
445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2007 02:54 as a reply to  @ Riff Raff's post |  #12

Traveling through spain a few years ago and waiting at the ferry port all day for a my ride to leave. I was distracted by one man infront of me ranting and raving on . me just looking at him wondering wtf he was on about ?. anyways he's friend was sneaking up from the back and some how stole my back pack from next to me .
then the guy just left as i was sitting there thinking.
I felt really empty and started to look around me, thinking i had a bag i then started to panic and yelling at people where's my bag and i remember looking up the road and seeing a man running towards me with my bag infront of him... behind him was a police man chasing him on his motor bike. well after a scaffel with the man to have him arrested and regaining my bag i felt better.
the contents of the bag where
a pentax camera (yeh not much but was alot at the time).
aload of films taken from 6 weeks of travels.
my pass port ( my life ).
some money and travel tickets .
and some other stuff
i was really panicing as a friend in london had her pass port stolen and could'nt work nor leave the country. was'nt the best feeling.
Although i got everything back and the bad guy in jail.. it is the closesd i have come with loosing everything.........

hope it never happens

https://smithersphotog​raphy.com.au/ (external link)
clintsmithers.me (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/CSmithersPhotograph​y/ (external link)
Google+

dandan
658 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 12, 2007 03:48 |  #13

i took my camera out while rollerblading to take a few shots of my friends. I stuck it down for a few seconds because i was attempting a somewhat dangerous stunt and didnt want to risk my camera breaking. I made a mental note to keep a very close eye on it. 10 seconds or so after i stuck it down i looked back to make sure it was still there and it wasnt so i looked around real quick and saw an old dude trying to make off with it. i yelled at him to give it back and i think he realized he was never going to make it out of there because i had about 5 friends with me and he did. the end

30mm, 50mm, 85mm, and some zooms here and there.
All nikon :D
- www.dan-mcnair.com (external link) - Webdesign and Photography (external link)

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 12, 2007 03:59 |  #14

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4486653 (external link)
Jim, then there's the added problem of keeping an eye on your camera bag when you are occupied taking photos!

I have a shoulder bag that all my gear stays in all night.. quick access and it keeps my gear secure. I even habitually check the zips with my off-hand occasionally when I'm in a crowd to make sure some nob hasn't opened it and poured a beer in.. it's been a close thing a few times :p

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

ANGUS
Cream of the Crop
6,897 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 12, 2007 04:12 |  #15

Closest so far was Airport Security trying to take my Monopod today.
Security: "Sorry these can't fly"
Me: "Im well aware of that, Thats why im at the airport today sir"
Security: "Im going to have to take it"
Me: "Im sorry but how would you feel if i made off with your Radio and Gun?, i paid for this im keeping it"
Security: "People could take this off you and use it as a batton"
Me: "People could use a hot coffee from the cafe for worse"
Security: "Point taken, However im doing my job"
Supervisor: "If i can't see it, its fine"
Me: Sticks monopod down pants (Only place it would fit) HAHA
Supervisor: "Fine"
And my gear is fully insured.

Angus
| 1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 5D MkII | 15FE | 16-35 f2.8 L | 24-70 f2.8 L | 70-200 f2.8 IS L II | 35 f1.4 L | 135 f2 L | 300 f2.8 IS L | 580 EX II | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

15,700 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's The Closest You Have Come To Being Robbed Of Your Camera Gear?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.