Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Dec 2007 (Wednesday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash and Bracketing?

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2007 12:44 |  #1

I know I can test this but I'm curious if anyone knows the answer?

I'm wanting to bracket some shots using either studio lights or Speedlights in M Mode.

Somewhere I'm thinking I read that the bracket feature won't work while shooting flash.

I want the shutter speed to change in my sequence.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 12, 2007 12:51 |  #2

Shutter speed will have absolutely no effect on studio flash exposures (unless you end up exceeding the X-synch speed limit)...you HAVE TO alter Aperture or the Intensity of the light! Of course, altering Aperture also alters your DOF as well.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 12, 2007 13:58 |  #3

taygull wrote in post #4490840 (external link)
I know I can test this but I'm curious if anyone knows the answer?

I'm wanting to bracket some shots using either studio lights or Speedlights in M Mode.

Somewhere I'm thinking I read that the bracket feature won't work while shooting flash.

I want the shutter speed to change in my sequence.

What exactly are you trying to achieve by the bracketing? Some flash units, like the 580EX, allow you to bracket the flash exposure automatically. However, if you are using studio lights or a Speedlite off camera or connect via the PC terminal, then you won't be able to bracket the flash exposure automatically.

...Leo

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2007 22:28 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #4490906 (external link)
Shutter speed will have absolutely no effect on studio flash exposures (unless you end up exceeding the X-synch speed limit)...you HAVE TO alter Aperture or the Intensity of the light! Of course, altering Aperture also alters your DOF as well.

That is 100% incorrect.

Reducing shutter speed will introduce movement and ambient light.

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2007 22:31 |  #5

PacAce wrote in post #4491362 (external link)
What exactly are you trying to achieve by the bracketing? Some flash units, like the 580EX, allow you to bracket the flash exposure automatically. However, if you are using studio lights or a Speedlite off camera or connect via the PC terminal, then you won't be able to bracket the flash exposure automatically.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to determine if the camera will or will not allow bracketing when the flash is hooked up.

By reducing shutter speed I introduce partial movement into the sequence of shots. The faster the shutter speed the less movement the slower the shutter speed more movement/motion.

I have a subject where I will be freezing part of the image but want motion to shown in another part. So what I'd like to do is bracket the shutter so I can get 5-7 shots in the same "motion" with varying degrees of motion.

McKinney, TX

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2007 22:36 |  #6

Only way to auto-bracket shutter speed is in Av mode as far as I know.
I don't think using flash, dedicated or otherwise, will prevent use of that feature.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 12, 2007 22:47 |  #7

taygull wrote in post #4494548 (external link)
What I'm trying to accomplish is to determine if the camera will or will not allow bracketing when the flash is hooked up.

By reducing shutter speed I introduce partial movement into the sequence of shots. The faster the shutter speed the less movement the slower the shutter speed more movement/motion.

I have a subject where I will be freezing part of the image but want motion to shown in another part. So what I'd like to do is bracket the shutter so I can get 5-7 shots in the same "motion" with varying degrees of motion.

Since the flash will always freeze the motion, I'm assuming that the motion that you want to capture will be lit by ambient lighting, right? in that case, you don't need flash exposure bracketing, which is what most of us were assuming you wanted to do.

When a dedicated flash is attached, AEB is automatically cancelled so you would only be able to do AEB with flash or strobe if it is connected via the PC sync terminal. But it takes time for the flash or strobe to recycle after firing so you'd need to wait until thte flash or strobe is ready before firing the next frame. That means you probably won't be able to shoot in burst mode unless you set the power of the flash such that it can keep up. Not sure if the strobe works the same way, though, as far as recycle vs power is concerned.

...Leo

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2007 22:52 |  #8

PacAce wrote in post #4494633 (external link)
When a dedicated flash is attached, AEB is automatically cancelled.

Hmm.

More stupid Canon programming.

But my B1600 at 1/16 power will keep up with 5 fps burst so it could be feasible.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 06:58 |  #9

Curtis N wrote in post #4494664 (external link)
Hmm.

More stupid Canon programming.

But my B1600 at 1/16 power will keep up with 5 fps burst so it could be feasible.

That is what I was thinking....

So I'm guessing (I'll try it later today), using my pocket wizards with some AB's I'll be able to use AEB. Since I am wanting a mix of ambient light in the shot I'm sure I can still get the shot with an ISO around 800 and power down the flash. DOF is not a huge concern either so I'm sure I'll have enough flexibility to cut the power so they can recycle quick enough.

Thanks!

McKinney, TX

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 13, 2007 07:18 |  #10

taygull wrote in post #4496002 (external link)
That is what I was thinking....

So I'm guessing (I'll try it later today), using my pocket wizards with some AB's I'll be able to use AEB. Since I am wanting a mix of ambient light in the shot I'm sure I can still get the shot with an ISO around 800 and power down the flash. DOF is not a huge concern either so I'm sure I'll have enough flexibility to cut the power so they can recycle quick enough.

Thanks!

Just a word of warning. The strobes have a longer flash duration than the flash units do so, depending on how fast whatever it is you want to capture the motion of, the strobe may not be able to do a good job of freezing it as well as the flash would.

See this thread for more details: https://photography-on-the.net …t=320826&highli​ght=freeze

...Leo

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 13, 2007 08:28 |  #11

Chris, I will be interested to see the results.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 08:51 |  #12

Curtis N wrote in post #4496318 (external link)
Chris, I will be interested to see the results.

So will I!:lol:

I've got a backup plan and I may not even need to shoot this way...I just want to have it in my back pocket.

I'd share more on the specific image but since it is for a publicaiton I'm bound to not share much of the idea.

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 08:52 |  #13

PacAce wrote in post #4496069 (external link)
Just a word of warning. The strobes have a longer flash duration than the flash units do so, depending on how fast whatever it is you want to capture the motion of, the strobe may not be able to do a good job of freezing it as well as the flash would.

See this thread for more details: https://photography-on-the.net …t=320826&highli​ght=freeze

Thanks, I'll check that thread out later today.

McKinney, TX

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 13, 2007 09:22 |  #14

taygull wrote in post #4494529 (external link)
That is 100% incorrect.

Reducing shutter speed will introduce movement and ambient light.

It is true about motion capture under certain conditions, and my earlier statement was an oversimiplification to an extent (but I wasn't trying to be the encyclopedia of studio flash in one message!).

But it is not '100% incorrect'! if the flash is the ONLY significant source of lighting in the scene, and your shutter speed is up near the max speed for X-sync, and your aperture is some typical studio flash exposure of around f/5.6 or f/8, and your ISO is set for quality reasons down around ISO 100, changing the shutter speed indeed will not make a difference in the exposure because the flash is making the entire exposure!

You qualified your conditions five messages later, so I had no idea of the purpose of your question. It would have helped to state the conditions and the goal, at the opening.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 11:02 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #4490906 (external link)

Fair enough Wilt,

but for other readers when you ay "Shutter speed will have absolutely no effect on studio flash exposures" that is a 100% inaccurate statement.

If you had said in an environment where there is no ambient light then you are correct. I never said I was in a studio or that there was a lack of ambient light.

I agree I could have given more info but...saying something has "absolutely no effect" is still not accurate with or without all the info.

McKinney, TX

sponsored links

2,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash and Bracketing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.