Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Dec 2007 (Wednesday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Apple Mac?

Costa ­ Del ­ Canon
295 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 12, 2007 15:05 |  #1

I need a new lap top, thinking of getting an apple for the 1st time.
I shoot stills on mi beloved 20d, but also use a camcorder which I want to edit on new lap top. Any ideas out there as to which model I should go for? I don't want to spend more than £1300
Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas

Silence is Golden.....Duck Tape is Silver!

sponsored links
Rumjungle
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2007 17:04 |  #2

If you're doing both photo and video editing, get the best that you can afford. I don't know the going prices in your country, but shoot for a 15.4" Macbook Pro. Remember that you'll want plenty of RAM and that you may want to avoid a glossy screen if screen reflections bother you.

Gear

atomick
98 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2007 20:22 |  #3

Rumjungle's got good core advice here. We have a MacBook (13" white) and a MacBook Pro (17") in the house, and the build quality between the two is very, very different. If you can, handle one in a store or from a friend. The keyboards are definitely worlds apart, too.

RAM sadly taps out at, I think, 3GB for even the MacBook Pro's - get as much as you can. For Photoshop and video editing scratch disk usage (both very intense), 7200rpm hard drives can also make a big difference. So, depending on your budget, you could look at a souped up 13" MB or more standard 15" MBP.

Oh, and don't forget about the screen you'll be editing on. This is where there is a big difference between the MB and MPB line. If you have an external monitor for editing, this may be less of an issue. The resolutions between the two screens may also be a significant factor.

Either way, for what you want to do, either is an adequate tool and you're likely to be totally thrilled either way. I'm a freelance imaging and design professional so the build quality and firepower of the MBP line appeals to me, but you may be different and should take that into account.

5D | 15 f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L
--> Atomick Industries (external link)
--> My Corner of The Flickrverse (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2007 20:50 |  #4

For the cost of a MBP compared to a MB, I'd go with the MB. Buy a nice 22" DVI external display, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a 500 gig firewire hard drive. All for less than the cheapest 15" MBP. You'd have enough left over to buy a lens or flash or something, maybe even a copy of Photoshop CS3. You can run the new MB, which has the Santa Rosa chipset with the X3100 gpu, in either mirror or dual-display mode. Have your image on your second display and all your tools in your MB's display. Or, you could run it in clamshell mode with the MB closed and put aside. RAM is easy to install and the hard disk replacement takes about 5 min when those 1 TB 2.5" 7200 rpm hard drives come out in 2 or 3 years. Get 2 gigs of RAM (not from Apple, though).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 12, 2007 21:24 |  #5

I'm planning on getting the Macbook 13" in white. I don't see the point of combo drives nor the point of spending $200 extra for a slightly larger hard drive.

According to the Apple website, the Macbook can take 4GB of memory in 2x 2GB sticks. It would make sense to buy the Macbook as it is and then insert 2 x 2GB sticks for $200 from NewEgg than for $850 from Apple. Plus you can sell the 2 x 512mb sticks originally in the computer on ebay!

I would go for the smaller Macbook on the basis that if you need a bigger screen/keyboard you can use your existing PC monitor and USB keyboard plugged straight into your laptop. Laptops are about portability after all which is one reason that 7" Asus also looks tasty.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

Nick5
Goldmember
3,300 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 12, 2007 22:53 |  #6

I am looking at the 15" MAC myself.
I do not have a laptop as of yet. I have a MAC at my office, Windows at home. The question which has been asked before Screen: Gloss or Matte?

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

showngo
250 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2007 00:03 |  #7

For video editing go with a Macbook Pro, you need the extra power.

Ben
My Gear (external link)

motion_projekt
Goldmember
2,469 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 13, 2007 00:27 |  #8

17" MacBook Pro hands down.

EOS 5Dmk3x2 | 24L | 50L | 135L
Instagram (external link) | Gear | SportsShooter (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Blog (external link)

speedracersong
323 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 13, 2007 00:27 |  #9

i thought the mac book doesnt have a dedicated video card so if you plug it in to an external monitor the resolution will be sucky.

vdao1972
212 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 13, 2007 00:48 |  #10

I had the same dilemma about 4 months ago. Macbook or Pro. I ended up deciding on a Pro for a couple of reasons.
1) Matte Screen. I freelance and do most of my photo editing on location then transmit the images via my mobile. I would love the MB for the size (coming from a 12" Powerbook) but in the end, needed a matte display. Glossy displays tend to oversaturate photos. Something you don't really want if working with photos.
I did look into buying a Macbook then replacing the original glossy with a matte but it would have cost way to much for the mod. Would have been cool though.

2) VRAM. I don't work with video yet but most photojournalists are moving in the direction of using stills, video and sounds to create slideshow stories. So I needed a machine that would scale to my needs.

3) Durability. In all honesty, the Macbooks seem quite flimsy compared to the Pro.

It depends on your needs. If you need a video editing road warrior, get the Pro. If not, get the Macbook and a nice second display.

Also, there are rumors of a 12" ultraportable Macbook Pro that will be announced at Macworld in January. Supposed to be super light with an SSD and no optical drive.

GEAR
blind eye productions (external link)

vdao1972
212 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 13, 2007 00:50 |  #11

Oh yeah also, I want to correct Atomicks comment: "RAM sadly taps out at, I think, 3GB for even the MacBook Pro's"
True but that was before the Santa Rosa chips which are in all the new Apples. Both new model Apples will take up to 4GB of RAM. Actually, I think the Santa Rosa can actually take 8GB's total of RAM, they just don't make sticks of RAM that large yet in a laptop form.

GEAR
blind eye productions (external link)

Costa ­ Del ­ Canon
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 13, 2007 03:15 |  #12

Thanks to everyone, more hints and advice please I am going to have a good ponder over the weekend. I'll be buying it in the UK (probably Manchester).

Silence is Golden.....Duck Tape is Silver!

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 08:55 |  #13

showngo wrote in post #4494992 (external link)
For video editing go with a Macbook Pro, you need the extra power.

The 2.2 gHz MB and 2.2 gHz MBP would do video editing just the same. All 2D rendering is managed by the cpu, not the gpu. Same is true for the great majority of photo work, with Aperture being one of the exceptions. Photoshop and Lightroom do not use the gpu much at all.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 09:00 |  #14

motion_projekt wrote in post #4495060 (external link)
17" MacBook Pro hands down.

For photo work, it would be much more economical to get a MB with an external 24" display. A lot cheaper.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2007 09:05 |  #15

speedracersong wrote in post #4495061 (external link)
i thought the mac book doesnt have a dedicated video card so if you plug it in to an external monitor the resolution will be sucky.

It will drive an external display to 1920x1200. So long as you're not doing 3D work (e.g., gaming, vectors), the MB will do just fine. It uses 128 mb of system RAM as vRAM, thus the need to get a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM.

sponsored links

2,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Apple Mac?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.