Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 11, 2007 08:46 as a reply to  @ post 4481908 |  #241

Yes, I kinda noticed they weren't straight after I posted them, I did go back and straightened and re-cropped. I need to pay more attention to that (horizon, etc.) while shooting and also in PP. I didn't go up to 3200 due to the noise, but I guess it's a trade off noise for faster speeds? Definitely going to give it a try at the next one. Thanks!

Oh for NR, I did use some on the first shot. I am using Noiseware Standard edition.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2007 16:50 |  #242

nhbeast wrote in post #4476775 (external link)
My daughter had her first Level 5 meet this weekend. She did pretty well for her first L5 meet, she finished 6th in the AA. Here are a couple of shots I took. Haven't gotten through all of them yet though. C&C is always welcome. Thanks!

Nice job. I would be happy as a clam to get pictures like that.

jeremy

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 12, 2007 01:24 as a reply to  @ jdando's post |  #243

sometimes it seems to me the xti at a lower ISO comes out better than the 30d 3200/H

anyone experience this?

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

TopGear1Ds
600 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2007 02:27 |  #244

fiveFPS wrote in post #4488128 (external link)
sometimes it seems to me the xti at a lower ISO comes out better than the 30d 3200/H

anyone experience this?

What are you referring to: IQ, noise? low ISO on the xti should be better than 3200 on a 30D, 110% of the time...

thats just common sense

--Matt--
Gear

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 12, 2007 08:41 |  #245

jdando wrote in post #4484991 (external link)
Nice job. I would be happy as a clam to get pictures like that.

jeremy

Thanks,, I am extremely happy with the shots I got. Just always looking to improve :)

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 13, 2007 15:59 as a reply to  @ nhbeast's post |  #246

Thought I would get us back on the first page and post some results from our latest meet. These are our USAIGC girls (kind of like the second team), anybody else have a group like this in your gym? These girls do not train as much as team and boy did it show. Really made me realize how good my little monkey is.

This gym has the most horrid lights and the overall results really showed. I was amazed how the exposure varied from one pic to the next will the same settings. The problem that it created was hard to deal with. One image shot at 1/500 would be perfectly exposed with relatively little noise to deal with and the very next shot would look like I shot it in an orange cave with unmanageable noise.

IMAGE: http://images33.fotki.com/v1068/photos/1/1034366/5674796/8x10-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images33.fotki.com/v1072/photos/1/1034366/5674796/DSC_0049-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images34.fotki.com/v1081/photos/1/1034366/5674796/DSC_0090-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images33.fotki.com/v1070/photos/1/1034366/5674796/DSC_126-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images34.fotki.com/v1078/photos/1/1034366/5674796/DSC_101-vi.jpg

You can see the whole gallery here:

http://public.fotki.co​m …stics/usaigc-competition/ (external link)

Thanks for looking:) C&C is welcome.

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 13, 2007 18:12 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #247

Hey Guys,
It's been unusually busy lately, so no time to get pics up. I'll do it as soon as I can.
At the moment the parents are worried about the future of our girls gymnastics. The owner/coach has decided to move, as a result if the gym doesn't sell we may be left with no acceptable options. We have a small gym with several excellent gymnasts and of course we don't want the girls to be forced to quit due to lack of facility or coaches.

cameranewbie
50 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 13, 2007 19:22 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #248

dharmon,

Sorry your girls have to experience that. It happens occasionally here, as well. More options, but all of them require mileage.

Good luck.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,514 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 13, 2007 21:06 |  #249

This gym has the most horrid lights and the overall results really showed. I was amazed how the exposure varied from one pic to the next will the same settings. The problem that it created was hard to deal with. One image shot at 1/500 would be perfectly exposed with relatively little noise to deal with and the very next shot would look like I shot it in an orange cave with unmanageable noise.

You were probably seeing the lights flickering at 60Hz. I've seen this with Mercury Vapor lights shooting in M mode in a burst where the histogram moves around shot to shot. I think you can see +/- 1EV in the lighting.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 13, 2007 21:24 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #250

Fug,

That's why I shoot raw. I can usually find the correct white balance point on a kelvin scale and using DPP or adobe raw processor, adjust images in batch by properly exposed vs evil orange light. With DPP you can create a recipe and apply it to the images in batch...

It's definitely the lights cycling. Sometimes you can set your shutter speed to a divisor of 60 and get more consistent results. That's the theory any way. I'm not sure if that's a old wives tale, but I've tried it and noticed moderate improvement, but it could have just been wishful thinking. :D

Our gym does not have a rec team or second string. They are thinking of opening a rec gym to act as a feeder gym, best of the girls move into the competitive gym and I'd even consider investing as a retirement option. :)

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 13, 2007 21:24 |  #251

dharmon wrote in post #4500048 (external link)
Hey Guys,
It's been unusually busy lately, so no time to get pics up. I'll do it as soon as I can.
At the moment the parents are worried about the future of our girls gymnastics. The owner/coach has decided to move, as a result if the gym doesn't sell we may be left with no acceptable options. We have a small gym with several excellent gymnasts and of course we don't want the girls to be forced to quit due to lack of facility or coaches.

That's awful! Are there no other gyms in town? Hopefully you can find a new place for them to work out!

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 14, 2007 08:50 |  #252

bwolford wrote in post #4500933 (external link)
That's awful! Are there no other gyms in town? Hopefully you can find a new place for them to work out!

There is one other gym. many of our girls started there but left due to coaching issues, so many feel this is not an option. That gym is also known for taking girls to lvl 5 then moving them to cheerleading.
There is certainly nothing wrong with cheerleading,but our girls love gymnastics and aren't interested in cheer.

The owner of one of the best gyms in the state has shown interest in buying and operating our facility, which would be a God-send. We are prayerful that this is going to happen.
Our last option is a 1.5 hour drive. While the parents are willing to try this, we're not optimistic that 7-10 yr olds can handle the drive time and maintain their homework and grades.

God Bless:D

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 14, 2007 11:09 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #253

Darrel,

We have had political meltdowns at our gym as well but we are also fortunate that there are so many great gyms here in southern cal. Best of luck to you !

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 14, 2007 11:31 |  #254

bwolford wrote in post #4500930 (external link)
Fug,

That's why I shoot raw. I can usually find the correct white balance point on a kelvin scale and using DPP or adobe raw processor, adjust images in batch by properly exposed vs evil orange light. With DPP you can create a recipe and apply it to the images in batch...

Brice,

I shoot raw as well and usually have very little problem correcting the color tint created by cycling light but this was truly awful! Correcting the color was not as challenging as dealing with the noise when the images were - 1 to -1.5 EV. Here is an example at 100%

From this (manageable)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

To this (not manageable for anything other than a small print)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I shot these at f 1.8, 1/320, iso 1600 in manual mode. As you can see by the first image, I was shooting at +1/3 EV. I had to laugh at those with the P&S and camera phones trying to take pictures in this gym. I would love to just peek and see what they actually got.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 14, 2007 12:57 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #255

Dharmon,

We commute 50-60 minutes each way every day. My daughter takes 1/2 her classes in the local public school and 1/2 home schooled to make it work. Has been doing this for 3 years. There are 4 other girls commuting between 1 - 2 hours each way for our gym. It can work, but the girls have to be committed. and use that commute time to study. It can work out. Either way, buy by the elite gym or travel, I know it work out for you.

Fug, I see what you mean. I couldn't do much with the second image...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brice
Gear List

sponsored links

114,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.