Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Converting RAW

CanonPhoto87
303 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 16, 2007 21:07 |  #1

I am sure this has been on this forum a number of times but i just got my rebel xt and i shoot in RAW and cant get them to convert, i have canon professional photo but i dont know how to do it, can you convert them through PSE 6.0? anybody have a tutorial i could look at or a good explaination on how to convert my images.

www.myspace.com/slonsk​iphotography (external link)
Gripped Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Canon Speedlite 430EX, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6, Canon 500D Close Up Filter, Macro Reversing Ring.......

sponsored links
CanonPhoto87
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 16, 2007 21:24 |  #2

anyone???

Gripped Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Canon Speedlite 430EX, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6, Canon 500D Close Up Filter, Macro Reversing Ring.......

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 16, 2007 21:29 |  #3

Give people more than 18 minutes to answer. :rolleyes:

No, you cannot convert raws through PSE6. Unless you have Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop with ACR, or any of a myriad of third party raw converters, you will need to use DPP or Zoom/ImageBrowser.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

CanonPhoto87
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 16, 2007 21:31 |  #4

i figured it out.

vetkrazy
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 17, 2007 01:43 |  #5

cdifoto wrote in post #4518151 (external link)
No, you cannot convert raws through PSE6. Unless you have Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop with ACR, or any of a myriad of third party raw converters, you will need to use DPP or Zoom/ImageBrowser.

Why can you not convert raw files in PSE6? I have never had any trouble converting raw files with PSE4.

Wrap your ass in fiberglass.... You're only young once but you can be immature the rest of your life
http://vetkrazy.exposu​remanager.com/ (external link)

Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 17, 2007 01:46 |  #6

vetkrazy wrote in post #4519249 (external link)
Why can you not convert raw files in PSE6? I have never had any trouble converting raw files with PSE4.

I dunno. I figured it was a crippled PS6, which doesn't read RAWs, as far as I know. PS7 (which I have) definitely doesn't. Although I don't even know if you're meaning PSE as in Photoshop Essentials or PSE as in Photoshop Elements.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

vetkrazy
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 17, 2007 01:54 |  #7

I was assuming Photoshop Elements 6.

Wrap your ass in fiberglass.... You're only young once but you can be immature the rest of your life
http://vetkrazy.exposu​remanager.com/ (external link)

Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 17, 2007 01:55 |  #8

You're probably right. Software versions aren't my forte.

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 17, 2007 09:27 |  #9

If you download the ACR plug-in you can process raw files.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 17, 2007 12:21 |  #10

Yes, once and for all, Photoshop Elements CAN process RAW files.

Just like with CS2/3 you must have a version of the ACR plugin that is compatible with both your Camera's RAW files AND the version of Photoshop you are using. (In fact, its the SAME EXACT plugin that CS2/3 uses... just certain important functions such as camera calibration are missing when you use it in Elements.)

That said... I think the results are better, and more easily attained using the software that came with your camera DPP (Digital Photo Professional.) At least for me, ACR gives a strong color shift from Red to Orange, and without being able to set a camera calibration in Elements, it gets old VERY quick dealing with that.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

sponsored links

1,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Converting RAW
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.