Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Dec 2007 (Wednesday) 06:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a Manfrotto monopod..

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 21, 2007 08:54 |  #16

Depending on your heigth, I use the 685B with a 488CR0 ball head. Its quick, and gives me the ability to extend above my head. I'm 5'9. Good luck!

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

sponsored links
versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 21, 2007 11:32 |  #17

In2Photos wrote in post #4546208 (external link)
It can allow you lower shutter speeds, but I wouldn't rely on it for that purpose. There is still the possibility of movement. I rely on my monopod to simply hold the camera/lens for me, rather than to allow me to shoot at slower shutter speeds.

What about using a monopod "stabilized" against a tree/fence? I do mostly landscapes/nature and sometimes I just don't have time for a tripod.

Gear List

Michael

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2007 12:40 |  #18

I bought and use this (external link) on my 680B Monopod for added support and stability. Looks like B&H has a good condition used one too right now for $13.

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/5533.jpg

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 21, 2007 12:55 |  #19

versedmb wrote in post #4547035 (external link)
What about using a monopod "stabilized" against a tree/fence? I do mostly landscapes/nature and sometimes I just don't have time for a tripod.

Well sure that could help. The item Ben mentions above looks like a great addition as well. Anything you can do to get the shot.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2007 13:08 |  #20

There is also this addition which is cool for low shots that require more stability. Dont know all the types of photography you will be using your monopod for, but just an FYI. LINK (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/126664.jpg

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 21, 2007 15:05 as a reply to  @ post 4546208 |  #21

Also found this thing for added support.....

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1198271​012&sr=8-1 (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Gear List

Michael

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2007 15:20 |  #22

versedmb wrote in post #4548114 (external link)
Also found this thing for added support.....

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1198271​012&sr=8-1 (external link)

Yep theres another. Though I did some research on that one and the reviews I have read around the net including here all seem to agree that those who have those legs dont use them. They usually say that they dont trust them as tripod legs to hold up a camera, and they dont really help much with stability.

cazray
161 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2007 15:23 |  #23

My other half has just today bought a really nice monopod the Manfrotto MN682B this monopod is fun as it has legs which are screwed inside and if you need to convert monopod to tripod they are there, so best of both worlds.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 21, 2007 15:36 |  #24

cazray wrote in post #4548219 (external link)
My other half has just today bought a really nice monopod the Manfrotto MN682B this monopod is fun as it has legs which are screwed inside and if you need to convert monopod to tripod they are there, so best of both worlds.

DO NOT use those little legs to support your camera without you holding onto the monopod. They will not provide the stability you need to keep your camera from crashing to the ground. I would not even use them that way with the monopod fully collapsed.

The only valid use I can think of for the little legs is to hold your monopod vertical while you are getting your camera out of the bag to put on the monopod. The little legs will be more of a hindrance than a help in most applications for a monopod that I can think of. You wouldn't be able to pan (by rotating the monopod) smoothly with them out, for example.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Dave__C
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2007 18:38 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #25

I have the 679B which is a 3-section pod. The 680 is 4-sections. I like 3 because it's faster to setup and collapse, but the 4-section is more compact.

If you are tall (6 foot+) be cautious. I am about 5'10". The 679B without a head is too short for me. With the 3229, it's perfect. If you are 6 foot, then even this combo might be slightly too short.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this monopod. It is stronger than I expected. I have seen posts suggesting that it is so sturdy, you can even use it as a walking stick while hiking.

My gear:
Canon 5D mk III, 7D | Canon 70-200 mm f2.8L IS, 100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L, 24-105 mm f4L, 16-35 mm f4LIS, 50 mm f1.4, 100 mm f2.8L IS macro, | Canon 580 EX II Flash

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2007 21:54 |  #26

cazray wrote in post #4548219 (external link)

Im pretty sure this Monopod is the same as the 680 but with the legs already in the kit. You can just buy them later and add them to the 680.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,249 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 22, 2007 00:18 |  #27

versedmb wrote in post #4547035 (external link)

that's when an IS lens comes in handy.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 22, 2007 11:20 |  #28

Read this link on how to use a Monopod :

http://www.outdooreyes​.com/photo5.php3 (external link)

NightHound posted this before and it's good info help !

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 22, 2007 11:30 |  #29

I do find that with proper monopod technique (it takes some practice), I can get about a 2 stop advantage in shutter speed. It's not the same as IS, though, because if your technique is off, you lose the advantage. I do regularly shoot with my 80-200 at 200mm, 1/125 to 1/160 and get sharp shots with the monopod, sometimes as low as 1/100, but that's about my limit.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 22, 2007 11:46 as a reply to  @ Jman13's post |  #30

i use the 681B and 486RC2 mostly because i needed the extra height. im 6 foot 4 and fully extended my eyepiece is about 2 inches above my eye. when i switch to portrait have to stoop a bit or spread my legs wider. i like the fact that the 681 is only 3 sections so i only have 2 latches to flip. i have the 488RC2 on my tripod and in my opinion its overkill for a mono. i don't need the pan feature or the extra weight on a mono-pod. as far as the effectiveness against camera shake i wouldnt say the mono-pod gets me much. i need 1/320 at the long end of my 70-200 and with the pod i can go 1/200 (that's with my 1.4x on).

J.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

3,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a Manfrotto monopod..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.