Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should I do?!

tomrippity
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2007 23:09 |  #1

My brother borrowed my camera from me and left it in his car over night. When I got it back from him and tried to use it I noticed when looking through the camera that everything is fogged up or dewey. I laid it inside and let it sit all day out of the bag hoping it would correct itself, but it still seems to be fogged up and not getting any better.

What can I do to fix this problem? It may also be possible that the lenses themselves are suffering from the same problem. I have a Rebel XT that is only a few months old and I would rather not have to send it to the manufacturer and wait forever to get it back.

Thanks in advance!

-tom

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2007 23:16 |  #2

Leaving it out overnight is not a problem, I have done so many times when camping and sometimes it gets quite cold. Bringing it inside and immediately allowing the warm moist air to hit the camera caused the problem. You can try to heat it out by placing it in the sun or someplace real warm like a chair above a heat register. It should allow the moisture to evaporate. When/if this happens again, leave the equipment in the bag for 1/2 hour or so. Also, putting it into Ziploc bags before bringing it inside will keep the moist air away from the glass and metal parts.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 24, 2007 01:36 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #3

Check out that little wheel ;)

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 24, 2007 02:30 |  #4

How would your diopter counter fog inside the lens?

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 24, 2007 02:56 |  #5

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #4560955 (external link)

It may not eb fog but rather the diopter is off a bit and the OP just immediatly thought condensation due to temperature differences.

Never hurts to check the easy spots first.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 24, 2007 03:01 |  #6

good call on the diopter - i too have done worse things with my gear than leave it in the car overnight...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 24, 2007 03:14 |  #7

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #4560955 (external link)

It can't be actual fog.
"I laid it inside and let it sit all day out of the bag hoping it would correct itself"
Water evaporates. Thats what water does. Plus, leaving the camera in the car isn't really that hazardous, unless you're in a bad neighborhood  :p Apparently that was not the case.

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 24, 2007 03:20 |  #8

One thing to look out for, if you leave it in a cold car overnight, ad want to bring it in to warm it up, you are going to get some condensation, this cannot eb helped unless you methodically raise the temperature degree by degree.

But to be sure DO NOT bring the camera or lens into a smokers house.
The air has tar and nicotine in it. When the equipment developers condensation it will be made from the water in the air around it, including the tar and nicotine. You simply cannot remove that once its on your equipment without major repair bills. Outside yes, however the internal components will be covered.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 24, 2007 15:27 |  #9

flyingwolf wrote in post #4561079 (external link)
One thing to look out for, if you leave it in a cold car overnight, ad want to bring it in to warm it up, you are going to get some condensation, this cannot eb helped unless you methodically raise the temperature degree by degree.

But to be sure DO NOT bring the camera or lens into a smokers house.
The air has tar and nicotine in it. When the equipment developers condensation it will be made from the water in the air around it, including the tar and nicotine. You simply cannot remove that once its on your equipment without major repair bills. Outside yes, however the internal components will be covered.

Eww I never thought about that! What if there is no condensation and your in a high smokers area (such as my favorite pool hall). Will the "tar filled air" escape just as it came in, as long as it isn't liquefied on the glass?

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 24, 2007 23:01 |  #10

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #4563666 (external link)
Eww I never thought about that! What if there is no condensation and your in a high smokers area (such as my favorite pool hall). Will the "tar filled air" escape just as it came in, as long as it isn't liquefied on the glass?

Ofcourse it won't harm the camera. That's just paranoid :) Ask yourself this: how often have you seen smoking rooms where everything is sticky and brownish and covered in tar? LOL

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2007 00:20 |  #11

Good point, I used to maintain apartments. I'll never forget one lady who left some pictures on the wall after she moved out. The walls were yellowish but I didn't really notice until I saw the alabaster white behind the pictures.

Nice ­ Glass
198 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 25, 2007 00:22 |  #12

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #4565150 (external link)
Ask yourself this: how often have you seen smoking rooms where everything is sticky and brownish and covered in tar? LOL

Take a picture or poster off of a smoker's wall and you will see the difference.

tomrippity
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 25, 2007 01:23 |  #13

gjl711 wrote in post #4560347 (external link)
Leaving it out overnight is not a problem, I have done so many times when camping and sometimes it gets quite cold. Bringing it inside and immediately allowing the warm moist air to hit the camera caused the problem. You can try to heat it out by placing it in the sun or someplace real warm like a chair above a heat register. It should allow the moisture to evaporate. When/if this happens again, leave the equipment in the bag for 1/2 hour or so. Also, putting it into Ziploc bags before bringing it inside will keep the moist air away from the glass and metal parts.

Thanks a lot! I sat it at a safe distance from a space heater for a little while and came back and everything was perfect! I don't know why it wouldn't fix itself before then though, because it had set inside all day. There were a few dew droplets in one of my lenses but I let them slowly evaporate in hopes of not leaving water stains and it worked great.

Thanks again everyone.. I'll remember to check the Diopeter next time as well! Although, in this case I just was not patient enough

sponsored links

1,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should I do?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.