Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2007 (Monday) 19:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Live view almost useless on new 40D

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 24, 2007 20:11 |  #16

Hermeto wrote in post #4564600 (external link)
Exactly!
It is genuinely designed to be used with manual focusing, this is just kind of work around.

i played with a 40D last night at circuit city and it was pretty nice feeling, felt as big as my 5D, I didn't care for how the menu is navigated tho. The live view was novel, especially with the grid lines

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 24, 2007 20:15 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Despite all wrong expectations people might have about Live View, that is a nice feature on a nice camera.
If you know what you’re doing, it can be useful in many ways.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 24, 2007 20:18 |  #18

Ya know folks, your really complaining about something that was fully disclosed in all of the online and available documentation.

This is like buying a Ford Taurus and getting upset that the cruise control only operates the accelerator, dag nabbit you want your auto pilot!

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 24, 2007 20:21 |  #19

flyingwolf wrote in post #4564634 (external link)
Ya know folks, your really complaining about something that was fully disclosed in all of the online and available documentation.

This is like buying a Ford Taurus and getting upset that the cruise control only operates the accelerator, dag nabbit you want your auto pilot!

i wasn't complaining, just sayin it's mostly useless, which is what i thought when i first heard you can't AF with it.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,593 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 24, 2007 20:53 |  #20

If you haven't used this with macro shots or if you don't even have a 40D or Mark III, any arguments you might make about live view "being useless" is therefore about as useless.

Not only during macros is this useful. If you have your camera on a tripod such that you have the height where you want it perpendicular to the portrait area (which for those of us vertically challenged probably means you might have to have the camera in an awkward height to use the viewfinder well), you can use live view to compose your shot, assuming you already have the focus locked, and your aperture high to get a deep DOF. As you have folks shuffling in and out of the "photo zone", all you have to do is enable live view, compose the shot, then take it. Works great.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Scunner
161 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 24, 2007 21:01 |  #21

I remember way back in the day when electronics manufacturers, Canon included, would bundle a user manual with their hardware. Oh, for those halcyon days...

Gordon

Camera : none atm :(
Lenses : 17-55 2.8 IS, 85 1.2L
Other : Speedlite 580EX, Epson P-2000, PIXMA Pro 9000

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 24, 2007 22:04 |  #22

Useless is a very strong don't you think. Remember the 40D is not designed to be a P&S.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 24, 2007 22:35 |  #23

I've been using a viewfinder for so long that I haven't even tried the live view.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Cristnotchrist
124 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 24, 2007 22:40 |  #24

Its extremely helpful and almost necessary in certain circumstances.
I find it to be an amazing feature to have. Albeit i use the viewfinder 98% of the time, the other 2% would not turn out half as good without live view.

Attack life, Its going to kill you anyway.

gmmjw06
43 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 24, 2007 23:22 as a reply to  @ Cristnotchrist's post |  #25

I’ve hooked mine to the lap with live view and got some incredibly crisp night shots. Can even focus remotely. I’d say it works very well.

Mike
My Gear

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2007 00:07 |  #26

I used it to see over a crowed at an outdoor Christmas choir. Simply turn to live view, raise the camera over all the big heads, focus with your CF.n and shoot. People then saw me lifting up the camera and to my astonishment, the seas began to part. They thought I was from the paper or something and beckoned me to the front row. That is one advantage to these cameras often taken for granted!

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

IB///M
227 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 25, 2007 01:00 |  #27

I use it as a quick mirror lockup. And it's much better than the ordinary MLU since I can still see the image while the mirror is up.

5D mark II
17-40 f/4 L | 35 f/1.4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS L | 400 f/5.6 L | Kenko 1.4x | 580 EX II

IB///M
227 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 25, 2007 01:01 |  #28

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #4565338 (external link)
Simply turn to live view, raise the camera over all the big heads, focus with your CF.n and shoot.

I do this too ;)

5D mark II
17-40 f/4 L | 35 f/1.4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS L | 400 f/5.6 L | Kenko 1.4x | 580 EX II

blackwell17
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 25, 2007 01:10 |  #29

you can do do an exposure mock too with it...its in the Cf.n menu...pretty cool

Nick
40D
- 50mm f/1.8 - 70-200L f/4 - 430ex w/ Gary Fong LS II

Katzer1
535 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 25, 2007 02:47 |  #30

Well, as others had pointed out, it wasn't hidden.
Looking at your signature, your investments in canon lenses is not that big, so if you really need that feature, you could switch systems and get the nikon d300, without a severe financial penalty (besides the d300 higher price tag of course).
Both systems are very good.
Erez

AussieCat wrote in post #4564483 (external link)
Is it just me or did most other people who bought the new 40d

become shocked and dissopointed to learn that the "live view" option is somewhat useless?

Well, to me it is, as - you can not auto focus in live view, you have to manually focus on the subject.

Amazing, its just 2nd rate now in my opinion.

Anyone else bothered by this?

The only good i can see in it is you have a tripod set up and you are doinga large group shot for example and you know your focus will almost be fixed

and if you need to refocus you have to put on "manual" on the actual lens or
you have to take live view "off" and then refocus normally, then reactivate live view.

Erez Katz, www.pbase.com/katzer (external link)

sponsored links

11,715 views & 0 likes for this thread
Live view almost useless on new 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.