Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Dec 2007 (Tuesday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PLEASE HELP!!! LOST XMAS PICTURES!!!

kato1
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 26, 2007 15:52 |  #46

Have you tried taking any photos onto another CF and downloading them?
If they download alright then I think it would be reasonable to assume that the camera and computer are okay. That would only leave a CF card problem, or operator error.

EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EOS 10D + BG-ED3,
50mm f1.4, 17-40 L f4, 70-200 L f/2.8 IS,
580EX II, 550EX, 420EX,
Manfrotto 055XPro tripod/808RC4 head.
Sekonic L-308s

sponsored links
myanh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 26, 2007 15:52 |  #47

what software did you use??

zacker wrote in post #4572405 (external link)
i lost abounch of wedding pics and got some software to recover them, i also recovered my vacation pics from the year before...lol i didnt think theyed stil be on the card after a few different reformats!!

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 26, 2007 16:01 |  #48

kato1 wrote in post #4572493 (external link)
Have you tried taking any photos onto another CF and downloading them?
If they download alright then I think it would be reasonable to assume that the camera and computer are okay. That would only leave a CF card problem, or operator error.

I think this is a great idea. Try taking pictures NOW and uploading them to your computer. If it doesn't work with new photos, you're probably not gonna get your old ones from yesterday.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

bcdoug
371 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 26, 2007 16:21 |  #49

pc file inspector, available at http://www.pcinspector​.de …overy/info.htm?​language=1 (external link)

i've used it to recover files from flash cards up to hard drives. never failed me. if a file is there, it can find it.

like others have said, get a card reader for this. the cf card will show up as a removable drive in explorer (my computer) and you can view the contents exactly like it was a hard drive.

Canon Rebel 300D - EP-EX15 - BG-E1 - EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 - EF 28-135 1:3.5-5.6 IS USM - EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 - EF 50mm 1.8 MKII - EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 USM - Speedlite 550EX - 420EX w/off shoe cord 2 - opus monopod - opus umbrella kit - some filters - a few cheapie tripods - too many camera bags
with no experience, and now no money!

myanh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 26, 2007 16:31 as a reply to  @ bcdoug's post |  #50

GREAT NEWS!
I bought a card reader, installed digital picture recovery and recovered ALL my pics.

THANKS everyone for all your helpful advice.
Happy holidays~!

greg20d
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 26, 2007 16:41 |  #51

myanh wrote in post #4572657 (external link)
GREAT NEWS!
I bought a card reader, installed digital picture recovery and recovered ALL my pics.

Happy holidays~!

Thats great I'm glad to hear that
the people here can be very helpful
Greg

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 26, 2007 17:05 |  #52

Hey aren't you going to show one of those pics....glad it worked out.

myanh wrote in post #4572657 (external link)
GREAT NEWS!

Happy holidays~!

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 26, 2007 19:32 |  #53

myanh wrote in post #4571675 (external link)
Yesterday, when i connected my camera to the computer.. and i checked I My Computer -> Canon EOS 30D...

There were no objects in the folder.

HAH, I knew it (told ya TeamSpeed). :p

Collin wrote:
When I transfer my shots via. My Computer -> Camera, there is always a lag between the photos becoming 'present' on the screen. Sometimes it never shows up, which means I have to disconnect the camera and try again.

I had a feeling that this would of made you think your shots were gone. Glad to know I was right!

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,863 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 26, 2007 19:58 |  #54

Collin85 wrote in post #4573498 (external link)
HAH, I knew it (told ya TeamSpeed). :p

I had a feeling that this would of made you think your shots were gone. Glad to know I was right!

I am very happy it all worked out. Still doesn't explain the situation where the camera could not preview the pictures on the card later. Something still very strange there, but it appears all is good, and I happily choke on my words! ;) My guess is that whatever software automatically fired up must have tried to reformat the CF card, or the OP formatted or deleted all pictures by accident.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 26, 2007 20:49 |  #55

Glad you got your shots back. This is always a risk with digital, but somehow, you can do something to get the pictures back. Have fun PP!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 26, 2007 23:33 |  #56

TeamSpeed wrote in post #4573627 (external link)
Something still very strange there.........

I have to agree. I have to say I'm not totally convinced we've been told the whole story. Whatever, it is good the OP has his pics back.

Steve.

Gear List

Triptoph
504 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 27, 2007 03:49 |  #57

Glad it worked out well :)

-Tony

kato1
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 27, 2007 04:31 |  #58

That's GREAT news. So are we going to get to see any ?

EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EOS 10D + BG-ED3,
50mm f1.4, 17-40 L f4, 70-200 L f/2.8 IS,
580EX II, 550EX, 420EX,
Manfrotto 055XPro tripod/808RC4 head.
Sekonic L-308s

Dockland
195 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 27, 2007 05:06 as a reply to  @ kato1's post |  #59

When I first got my 300D i was shooting RAW and windows XP wasnt showing any files on my memorycard via Import from Camera/Scanner wizard. I wasnt failiar that RAW files wasnt supported in Windows XP as jpg files.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 31, 2007 04:38 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

OK - on your sisters computer. Go into my computer (start button > my computer). You'll see a list of your drives. Right click on the C drive. Select search from the drop down menu. You want to search for "all files and folders" (click on that link). In the section where it says "all or part of the file name", type in this:

*.crw

And then click search. It may take a while, depending on how fast her PC is. If this doesn't return any hits, try this as the search criteria:

*.cr2

Please make sure to type them exactly as is! If there are any RAW files from the Canon on there, it'll find them on her system.

If you shot jpeg (as I understand it), then it's going to be tougher. All I can suggest is to search for:

*.jpg

and

*.jpeg

If you get any "hits" from your searches, check out where the files are located - the easiest way to do this is to right click on one of the files, and select 'properties' from the drop down menu. On the window that comes up, click on the General tab (if it isn't already open on that). About half way down it should say "location". You should be able to see what the location is from there. If the location is so long that it gets cut off on the right hand side, click once where the actual location is, and use your right arrow key on the keyboard to scroll to the right, taking note of the whole location.

Good luck!

Dave

PS have you checked in the following location:

c:\documents and settings\your_sisters_​windows_login_name\my documents\my pictures ??? That's usually the default location...

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

5,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
PLEASE HELP!!! LOST XMAS PICTURES!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.