Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jan 2008 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The amazing speed of optical slaves

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2008 21:44 |  #1

Well they might just give me back my "King Measurebator" title for this (not that I want it).

After dealing with a sync speed issue with my Elinchrom Skyports, I began to wonder how much an optical slave might delay the flash it's attached to and make such an issue worse. So I decided to test it.

This shot shows my ceiling being illuminated by two flash units - The one on the left is triggered by the Skyport radio set and the one on the right is attached to an optical slave. So in this setup, the flash on the left is the "master".

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/239389454-O.jpg

When the shutter speed is increased beyond the camera's X-sync speed, the flash fires while the second shutter curtain is closing. The dark area in the bottom of the frame is the part of the sensor shaded by the shutter curtain.

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/239389463-O.jpg

Notice that the height of the black area is nearly the same on both sides of the frame. This indicates that the flash connected to the optical slave fired almost simultaneously, even though it didn't fire until it "saw" the other flash. If the second flash fired with any significant delay, the black bar would be higher on that side of the image.

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/239389488-O.jpg

The difference between the last two images represents the distance the shutter curtain travelled in 0.00625 seconds (1/1600 second). The nearly imperceptible difference in the height of the black area on either side of the frame indicates that the delay of the optical slave was less than 1/10,000 second.

What does all this mean? Well, it means that an optical slave will not cause a reduction in the practical maximum shutter speed with flash, even if you're using a camera with an electronic shutter that can sync at 1/1000.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links
Welby
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2008 21:47 |  #2

Another handy post thanks Curtis ;)

Mark www.gravelpics.com (external link)
5DMKIV, 7DMKII, 6D, EF 17-40 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L, EF 300mm f/4L, Tamron 28-75 F/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 II, Kenko 1.4, 580EX II, Vivitar DF400MZ x 2, poverty wizards.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 03, 2008 21:49 |  #3

No surprise there, Curtis, since the optical slave is working at the speed of light and there's not much to the circuitry--just a photo-sensitive transistor and an SCR semiconductor switch or equivalent, both also working at the speed of light. :)

On the other hand, a digital triggering circuit needs to convert the "fire" signal into digital code which is transmitted in series by the Tx and then received by the Rx, decoded and then converted to a signal that triggers the triggering circuit. That serial conversion before transmission and then after reception is what's slowing the RF triggering devices. Actually, the same applies to the ETTL IR signals, too. :)

...Leo

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2008 21:59 |  #4

Maybe no surprise to you smart people, but for those of us whose entire knowledge of electronics could fit on a postage stamp, it's pretty darned amazing. :cool:

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 03, 2008 22:07 |  #5

Curtis N wrote in post #4626256 (external link)
Maybe no surprise to you smart people, but for those of us whose entire knowledge of electronics could fit on a postage stamp, it's pretty darned amazing. :cool:

Have you seen the amount of electronics they can put in a postage stamp these days? Half a century ago, the equivalent amount of electronics would have required a big room with a connecting room to accommodate the air conditioning system required to cool the electronics. Now, that's pretty amazing. :D

...Leo

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 03, 2008 22:07 |  #6

The current front-page article on Strobist, I believe, is about a guy who found that the only way he could get remote Speedlights to keep up with his 1DII was to use optical slaves; ETTL and radio triggering didn't work fast enough...

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 03, 2008 22:15 |  #7

bieber wrote in post #4626289 (external link)
The current front-page article on Strobist, I believe, is about a guy who found that the only way he could get remote Speedlights to keep up with his 1DII was to use optical slaves; ETTL and radio triggering didn't work fast enough...

I'm not sure I quite understand that. The flash sync speed is only 1/250. The PW units, for example, can keep up with that shutter speed without a problem so I'm curious to know in what way the RF triggering units failed to work. Was he referring to the frame burst rate?

...Leo

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 03, 2008 22:19 |  #8

I have said this before, but optical slaves are my primary mode of triggering all of my flash units except one. That "one" typically has a long cord, or a radio slave.

I only use something else when the use of the optical slave just does not work in that application. But, since I mostly do studio, or ad hoc studio work, I seldom need to use anything other that optical slaves.

In addition to being fast, they are:

• very inexpensive
  • require no batteries
  • typically do not wear out (I have some that I still use that are decades old)
  • Are almost indestructible (I mostly have the units that are the simple circuits totally encased in resin). You could drive a car over them and they would typically still be fine.
  • Did I mention they do not require batteries.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2008 22:19 |  #9

Regarding the Strobist post  (external link)bieber mentioned, It wasn't a sync speed issue, it was a frames per second issue. He said he tried his "Bogen radio slaves" and they didn't pop on every frame at 9 fps.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 03, 2008 22:26 |  #10

FlashZebra wrote in post #4626382 (external link)
I have said this before, but optical slaves are my primary mode of triggering all of my flash units except one. That "one" typically has a long cord, or a radio slave.

I only use something else when the use of the optical slave just does not work in that application. But, since I mostly do studio, or ad hoc studio work, I seldom need to use anything other that optical slaves.

In addition to being fast, they are:
  • very inexpensive
  • require no batteries
  • typically do not wear out (I have some that I still use that are decades old)
  • Are almost indestructible (I mostly have the units that are the simple circuits totally encased in resin). You could drive a car over them and they would typically still be fine.
  • Did I mention they do not require batteries.
Enjoy! Lon

Exactomundo.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 03, 2008 22:58 |  #11

Curtis N wrote in post #4626384 (external link)
Regarding the Strobist post  (external link)bieber mentioned, It wasn't a sync speed issue, it was a frames per second issue. He said he tried his "Bogen radio slaves" and they didn't pop on every frame at 9 fps.

I couldn't get my flash mounted on the camera (1Dmk3) and set to power level 1/128 to pop on the 9th frame either at the highest burst rate. For some reason, the flash always stopped firing after the 8th frame. Tomorrow, I'm going to use an external power source and see if I can get the number of frames passed 8.

I did try with the PW units and at 10 fps, the flash fired every other frame although every once in a while, it did fire two in a row. I have a feeling that if I had two MultiMax units, I wouldn't have a problem firing the strobes at 10 fps because the MM can be set to 30 fps. Unfortunately, the PW Plus units can't go that fast. With the Plus units, the flash fired once every 2 or 3 frames.

...Leo

Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 04, 2008 04:11 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #12

More flash pron for the King Measurebator :)

Olympus p/s on board flash triggers the Wein Peanut, Sunpak 383, check EXIF speed --1/2000.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,363 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2008 05:47 |  #13

PacAce wrote in post #4626605 (external link)
I couldn't get my flash mounted on the camera (1Dmk3) and set to power level 1/128 to pop on the 9th frame either at the highest burst rate. For some reason, the flash always stopped firing after the 8th frame. Tomorrow, I'm going to use an external power source and see if I can get the number of frames passed 8.

Probably just simply that the flash recharge couldn't keep up.

1/128 is 2^7 or 8 "stops" (2^0 = 1 or full power) difference in power level. During the 9 shot burst the flash would have had to manage to recharge at least 1/8 power (possibly more) to actually have sufficient juice for the 9th frame.

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 04, 2008 06:01 |  #14

Curtis N wrote in post #4626256 (external link)

lol... thanks Curtis..

.......... and now we know, the rest of the story.

I wish Canon would use something like the Nikons do for wirless from the camera.

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

pjtemplin
311 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2008 06:14 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

1/128 is 2^7 or 8 "stops" (2^0 = 1 or full power) difference in power level. During the 9 shot burst the flash would have had to manage to recharge at least 1/8 power (possibly more) to actually have sufficient juice for the 9th frame.

Huh? 1/128 is 8 stops difference, but it's 1/128th nonetheless. After 8 shots, it would have fired 8/128ths, or 1/16th of full power. I just grabbed a 580EX II out of my bag, set it for multi 1/128th, and with a flash rate of 8hz it's good for 80 sequential pops. At 16hz it's good for 50, and at 20hz or higher it's good for 40.

1D MkIII, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, nifty fifty, 3xSpeedlite 580EX II, Rebel XTi w/ kit 18-55mm

sponsored links

20,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
The amazing speed of optical slaves
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.