Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone else thinking of 'doing away' with zooms?

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 06, 2008 22:02 |  #76

When I'm shooting basketball, I feel comfortable with my 135/2.0. When I'm at a small indoor concert, I'm comfortable with my 100/2.0 or 200/2.8. When I'm traveling on the Monterey Coast, I feel comfortable with my 70-300/DO. When I'm inside the Monterey Aquarium, I feel comfortable with my 17-55/2.8.

This makes me either very wise or very naive. Wise because I'm enjoying myself using lenses that are OK for what I'm shooting; or naive because if I really analyzed what I'm doing, I could have taken better shots. Right now, I'm so concerned with what's in my signature that I don't think of whether I should be using a particular length prime or zoom (since I already decided that before I walked out the door).

Sometimes we amateurs make things too complicated. We try to work on step #9 before we've completed steps #1 to #8. After "mastering" my signature, I might be ready to contemplate whether the scene before me is better taken with my 85/1.8 or 135/2.0. But before I get to that stage, I'll just smile and take the shot with whatever lens I have on my XTi.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

sponsored links
daleftw
238 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2008 22:10 |  #77

I'm upgrading my kit zoom to another zoom, and my way of thinking is, if I have enough time to sit around framing the subject using foot-zoom and then carefully set the DOF and all that stuff, I will use a prime. If I have to get the shot over and done with quickly, zoom is the go. Can't afford to miss shots because I spent too much time stuffing around getting everything right.

Canon Eos 5 | 28-135mm | 20-35mm | 50mm 1.8 | modified 28-80mm | 540EZ
As many megapixels as I could ever want all rolled into a film canister.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2008 22:13 |  #78

The good news Dale is that the more you practice and the more you shoot fast or under pressure, the better you'll get ;). It's just a matter of time.

daleftw wrote in post #4646727 (external link)
..... Can't afford to miss shots because I spent too much time stuffing around getting everything right.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 06, 2008 22:14 |  #79

I will not do away with my zooms. And I won't do away with my primes either.

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2008 22:17 |  #80

LightRules wrote in post #4646749 (external link)
I will not do away with my zooms. And I won't do away with my primes either.

What about your recently discovered 6.5fps burst? :D

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,647 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 06, 2008 22:18 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #81

I don't have any zooms.

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 06, 2008 22:42 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #82

I'm going to get another prime soon (not sure which one) so I went through all my photos in Lightroom to see which prime lens I would use the most. I was surprised to realize that I'll probably use another prime only in specific situations and will be a low percentage of my shots. The zooms are just too versatile for me. I like the low light capabilities of fast primes, but I can't imagine lugging around a bag full of primes on vacation with my family.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2008 23:21 |  #83

Yeah, come to think of it, I need another prime too......and maybe another zoom:)
Edit: still don't have a second body either...hmmm

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

ps249
420 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2008 00:32 |  #84
bannedPermanent ban

actually I wish they would do away with primes

40D
50 f/1.8 | 28-135 IS |
MAUREEN SOUZA FOR PRESIDENT!

Lostboy77
418 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2008 01:01 as a reply to  @ ps249's post |  #85

Several months back I found myself in a financial situation where I was forced to rethink my photography hobby. I then decided that I was only going to keep the items that I felt I could not live without. What I ended up keeping was a 5D (with grip), my all time favorite lens, the 50/1.4, and downgraded my 135L to the 100/2. Out the door whet my 24-70, 70-200, 200L, and a three day old 40D, 17-55 and 10-22. It was a sad day.

In retrospect, the move was a good one for me. I fell back in love with my 5D and I have discovered that I really don't miss my zooms. The only lens I wish I would have kept was my 200L, but it just wasn't getting enough use to keep it at the time. before I go to Maui next fall I will probably pick up a 17-40 because I will want something wider than normal but for the most part I'm happier now.

So, yes . . . put me down for going all primes and not regretting it.

P. S. when I want the convenience of a zoom, I leave the kit at home and pocket my G9. works every time.

Canon EOS M50 - EOS M
EF-m 15-45mm IS STM - EF-m 18-55mm IS STM - EF-m 22mm f/2 STM
EF-s 55-250mm IS STM - EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - Speedlite 430EX II

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 07, 2008 01:09 |  #86

I myself am doing away with a tammy 200-400mm 5.6 and going for a 100mm 2.0 Just dont use the long lens enough to keep it around. Maybe one day a prime "L".

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 07, 2008 01:36 |  #87

I'm keeping my zooms - in fact getting a new one too! For the work I do I need the flexibility of zoom - it's impossible to use foot zoom in a photo pit. Just because you some photographers use zooms though doesn't mean that a good photographer doesn't pay attention to composition and framing a shot.

I also love nice primes; have just ordered the 35 f1.4L and would love to own a copy of the 300mm f2.8L some day.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

Chandler.
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2008 01:42 |  #88

I just read every response in this thread. There are some insightful opinions here. I have a unique situation where weight is an important factor for me. When I'm on crutches, which I often am, my 70-200 2.8L bouncing around on my neck strap isn't fun to lug around. However, a lighter lens like my 10-22 isn't a big deal at all. I don't think I'll sell my 70-200L because its versatility is so vital in many situations, such as sports shooting. However, I will definitely be adding a 135L, 50 1.4 and possibly a 35L to the arsenal once I get a 5D. The one area where I think nothing but a zoom makes sense is UWA. Unless you're going 14L or Fisheye, I think a UWA zoom is vital if you're going to be utilizing that focal range often.

As for the OP talking about how he thinks primes make you think more, I would agree, because that is the case for me.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

sjones
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 07, 2008 01:43 as a reply to  @ blackshadow's post |  #89

Creativity is what is within you, and whatever means you use to coax such creativity is a personal choice. If you choose to exclusively use primes, you will confront certain limitations, as several other members have pointed out.

On the other hand, many of the world's greatest photographers had no other choice but to use primes, and in light of their success, it appears axiomatic that any obstacles inherent with primes are surmountable.

If you are more comfortable using primes at this stage, no argument can refute this. To be sure, if you are a professional, then utility might inform choice above all else, I presume. But if you have the luxury of pursuing photography for pleasure, and if you what you enjoy most is using primes, then there is really no debate.

I switched to primes, for that matter, to all manual focus, a year ago, (blame condyk) and no plans exist to switch back. Have I missed some shots because of this; probably, but so what, I'm not getting paid for this. It's about having fun.

July 2018-July 2019 (external link)
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Chandler.
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2008 01:45 |  #90

sjones wrote in post #4647910 (external link)
If you are more comfortable using primes at this stage, no argument can refute this. To be sure, if you are a professional, then utility might inform choice above all else, I presume. But if you have the luxury of pursuing photography for pleasure, and if you what you enjoy most is using primes, then there is really no debate.

That would be me (most of the time), and I think the above statement is absolutely true.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

sponsored links

5,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else thinking of 'doing away' with zooms?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.