Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting Raw for first time.

jssealion
20 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 08, 2008 10:54 |  #1

I am going to try shooting in Raw for an indoor swimmeet for the first time ever. I use a 20d with 70-200f2.8 and I can use a flash if needed which is a 580. Any suggestions on camera settings etc. for non flash or flash. Thanks

sponsored links
kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 08, 2008 11:07 |  #2

If you've never shot raw before and had to post-process the files and convert to jpeg, I'd either shoot a load of unimportant things first, or shoot both jpeg and raw at an important event - Just in case :-)

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 08, 2008 11:39 |  #3

Shooting in raw will not change your settings. Shoot as you normally would to get a good image. You will just have the ability to fix the image if it does not come out right.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Nouks
824 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 08, 2008 12:58 |  #4

Atl-Fotos wrote in post #4658407 (external link)
Shooting in raw will not change your settings. Shoot as you normally would to get a good image. You will just have the ability to fix the image if it does not come out right.

I agree, but with a jpg you're able to "fix" the image too. With a little change:

"Shooting in raw will not change your settings. Shoot as you normally would to get a good image. You will just have the ability to fix the image a lot better if it does not come out right."

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Website (external link)Portfolio (external link)Archive (external link)

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 08, 2008 14:00 |  #5

Shooting in JPG only is the equivalent of shredding your negatives (in the film days) before you see the prints. Maybe the prints are fine and you will be OK, but maybe the prints are bad and they could benefit from printing differently from the negative. But if the negative is gone you are out of luck. You can always scan the print and try to tweak it in PS but you are starting with something other than the original and data is lost forever and you have no way to get back to the original :(

You paid the money for the gear you may as well try and get the most out of it. That means shooting in RAW and learning how to use the tools to get the most out of it.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 08, 2008 15:37 |  #6

I heartily agree with Dermit....RAW RAW RAW!
I see no sense in shooting both...it will only slow you down.
Keep your exposures just a touch to the overexposed side. Don't blow the highlights though. This will keep you from having noise problems in the shadows.
Good Luck at your event. No reason to be nervous...shooting RAW is more forgiving. Practice a little at the venue ahead of time if you can. Always a good idea.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 08, 2008 15:40 |  #7

Gebruikersnaam wrote in post #4658904 (external link)
I agree, but with a jpg you're able to "fix" the image too. With a little change:

Post Processing a RAW file gives you far more scope that PPing a jpg.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Nouks
824 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 08, 2008 16:26 |  #8

neil_r wrote in post #4660077 (external link)
Post Processing a RAW file gives you far more scope that PPing a jpg.

That's why I added "a lot better" to Atl-Fotos' opinion ;)

Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 08, 2008 16:29 |  #9

Many apologies.... abject lesson to self don't speed read, don't speed read, don't speed read........:oops::oops::oops:

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Nouks
824 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 08, 2008 16:30 |  #10

neil_r wrote in post #4660414 (external link)
Many apologies.... abject lesson to self don't speed read, don't speed read, don't speed read........:oops::oops::oops:

Ahw... It's okay! Doing it myself all the time ;)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 08, 2008 16:35 |  #11

jssealion wrote in post #4658114 (external link)
I am going to try shooting in Raw for an indoor swimmeet for the first time ever. I use a 20d with 70-200f2.8 and I can use a flash if needed which is a 580. Any suggestions on camera settings etc. for non flash or flash. Thanks

Now, if you're doing a swimming meet for the first time, a few practice shots are in order.

My guess is that with f/2.8 at an indoor pool, you may be able to shoot without the flash.

I'd try ISO 800 to see if it provides enough shutter speed to stop the action (if that's your intention), and bump up if necessary.

I do most of my flower shots at ISO 640 on a 30D to freeze wind driven motion. On the 20/30D, 640 is pretty noise free.

As the others have noted, jpeg/raw settings would be the same, but you should use RAW.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 08, 2008 19:48 |  #12

With Canon's DPP shooting RAW is no different than shooting JPEG except that the RAW file allows for much more leeway (ie: range) in altering exposure, color, etc.

Just thought I'd repeat what everyone else has said :D

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2008 20:26 |  #13

Really, there is no difference when shooting, except your burst mode in RAW will fill the buffer up about twice as fast. Forget any picture style setting and all that stuff, it has no bearing on a RAW file. You will see those in the back preview window, but the RAW file will be what you see is what you get. Don't shoot both.

Not shooting important shoots in RAW is just inviting disaster. The lighting and exposure screwups you can fix in RAW mode makes any extra time processing them worth ever minute in insurance. Once you shoot RAW, you will never go back. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

jssealion
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2008 10:42 as a reply to  @ canonloader's post |  #14

Thanks for the replies, I have shot many swimmeets (JEP) and have never used RAW. I shot in manual mode without flash, iso 800 and 1600, shutter was 1/500. Ihave not had the time to use photoshop elements 4, because my real job keeps getting in my way. I hope that photshop elements 4 will allow me to do the necessary adjustments. Any help you can give me about using photoshop would be appreciated. Thanks John

sponsored links

1,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting Raw for first time.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.