Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jan 2008 (Wednesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Storage?

Mr. ­ Plow
171 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 09, 2008 18:43 |  #46

1 - Plug in CF card

2 - Use Canon Camera Window to download the files to a external 500GB firewire disk into Y-D-M folders

3 - Use Directory Opus (which also has RAW viewer) to view thumbnails and discard bad photos.

4 - Use Directory Opus sync feature to copy the files to another external 500GB firewire disk

5 - Use Lightroom/Photoshop to make edits and save exports in a sub folder like Y-M-D-JPEG

6 - Use Directory Opus to sync the disks again

7 - At the end of each day do a FTP dump to a disk I have running in my work office

8 - Format CF card

Directory Opus is an excellent and powerful Windows Explorer replacement...highly recommended.

sponsored links
BCurrey
36 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 10, 2008 16:37 as a reply to  @ Mr. Plow's post |  #47

What brand of DVD's do you use? I've read about the Gold ones, but they are expensive, and I'm not convinced they are any better than regular ones.

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,501 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2008 17:33 |  #48

I'm using a DROBO now...

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

dtrayers
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 10, 2008 17:39 |  #49

Steve Beck wrote in post #4675879 (external link)
I'm using a DROBO now...

I've heard about the DROBO. How is the DROBO different than my Infrant ReadyNAS RAID Server? Is it better?

-Dave

http://www.trayersphot​ography.com (external link)

Gear List

Screamer
803 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 10, 2008 17:44 as a reply to  @ post 4631953 |  #50

I currently use Aperture on a Power Mac G5 with 1.5 TB of internal storage. However, I leaning to make a jump to Lightroom, pending MacWorld announcements.

For backup, I actually have what I do for my workflow, and what I do for my clients. My main backup is a 4TB Infrant ReadyNAS. I also keep a 1TB WD FW800 Pro Edition II external handy as a scratch disk for file migrations/parking.

Aside from what I use on a daily basis, I offer monthly harddrive archival to clients for a fee....kind of like a negative library back in the day. For this, I use regular old USB2.0/FW external drives. Most are 250GB capacity.

- Phil
Canon 1-Series Bodies, 5Dmk3 (for cinema), & XF305| L Glass & Zeiss Primes| Some lighting stuff from Sweden ;)
|http://www.philmacino.​com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 10, 2008 18:08 |  #51

Taiyo Yuden are the best DVDs around. Still I don't trust DVDs, make sure you have a copy on a hard drive (offsite) as well as on DVD.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 10, 2008 21:06 |  #52

muscleflex wrote in post #4656470 (external link)
i used to play with mercury when was a kid.

Ah, that explains it.

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 10, 2008 21:09 |  #53

BCurrey wrote in post #4675496 (external link)
What brand of DVD's do you use? I've read about the Gold ones, but they are expensive, and I'm not convinced they are any better than regular ones.

Taiyo Yuden media tends to be the best quality for value. Newegg sells it pretty cheap.

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

Screamer
803 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 10, 2008 21:21 as a reply to  @ chakalakasp's post |  #54

Meritline is also a great source for Taiyo Yuden.

- Phil
Canon 1-Series Bodies, 5Dmk3 (for cinema), & XF305| L Glass & Zeiss Primes| Some lighting stuff from Sweden ;)
|http://www.philmacino.​com (external link)

rfreschner
ishka bibble
2,576 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 11, 2008 05:03 |  #55

I have had an external drive quit working after only 2 months and it's replacement give me read errors that caused me to reformat, so I'd never trust just one drive. I currently have 2 external drives that I back up to separately (don't want to mirror mistakes from 1 drive to the other) and I also use Mozy as my remote online backup site.

Rick
"We both can't be wrong; I must be right"
Bob Welch
Gear List

ItzBitzHair
405 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 10, 2008 00:01 |  #56

I wanted to ask you a question on your NAS with the server how are you able to get into your network through your routers security system.

dtrayers wrote in post #4619441 (external link)
After a shoot I sort out all the rejects and archive the 'keepers" to a 1TB NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive. It's RAID 5, so I get about 700GB of usable space. It's about 80% full. I keep a copy of the near term stuff on a local 250GB drive in my PC and I also carry a copy the really recent stuff on a 200GB portable USB drive. I'm getting nervous about keeping the archive on one physical server, even if it is RAID, so I'm going to get a couple of 500GB USB drives and an enclosure and make backups of everything on the NAS then store the USB drives off site.

The NAS has a FTP server, so I can access any image I need while at work or on the road.

I use Lightroom to keep track of it all.

www.haasports.info (external link) <- View my gallery !!!

dtrayers
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 10, 2008 06:19 |  #57

ItzBitzHair wrote in post #5083110 (external link)
I wanted to ask you a question on your NAS with the server how are you able to get into your network through your routers security system.

It's called "port forwarding" or "virtual server". Essentially, you open a port on your router (for FTP it's typically 21) and tell the router to send any external network traffic on that port to an internal IP address, in this case the NAS.

You then have to configure the NAS to accept FTP connections and put a very strong password on it.

Lastly, you need to know the external IP address of your router. This is the address assigned by your ISP. My router also supports a feature called Dynamic DNS. This is a service that assignes a DNS name to your IP address, and if the IP address changes, it'll update the DNS. So rather than remembering that your external IP address is 67.190.xxx.xxx, you can pick a name, like myFTPserver.mydns.org.

If your router supports it, you shoud be able to read about it in the manual.

-Dave

http://www.trayersphot​ography.com (external link)

Gear List

kblair210
517 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 10, 2008 14:36 |  #58

If your router doesn't support it, check out http://www.dyndns.org (external link) as they offer a free service for doing this.

SmugMug (external link) - Toys

Uhland
864 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 10, 2008 20:10 |  #59

I was using DVD's but that is just way to troublesome.
Then I went to external HDD but offsite is still a bother and costly.

Now I use An external Drive AND mosy.com
Unlimited backup off one PC for 5 bucks a month.
They use Amazon so its as safe as it is going to get along with heavy encryption.

:mrgreen:https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

LiSkynden
145 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2008 08:28 |  #60

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #4649504 (external link)
Add to that the fact that ALL hard-drives will eventually crash (only a matter of time), and that makes digital storage on a single HD even LESS safe than negatives in a shoebox in your closet.

I was just gonna say this, cause its SO true!

I just ran out of space on my HD where i keep the digi photos, and now i have to put another 100€ to a new HD ...but the "shoe box" is still there in the closet and doesnt cost anything. Its not even full yet and there are negatives from 20 years!!!.

I was gonna ask which is the best and safest place to storage your photos, but well, after reading the posts here, there arent any. :rolleyes:

sponsored links

5,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Storage?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.