Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2004 (Friday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do I get the eypiece extender to stay on?

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Jan 11, 2004 16:25 |  #16

I was going to snag a couple for my two cameras, but have not as I heard they were being redesigned. Never have seen the new one though.

defordphoto | Celebrating the art of photography®
SD500, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1DMKII, 1DMKIII
www.ussbaracing.com (external link) | www.rfmsports.com (external link) | www.nwfjcc.com (external link)
An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams

sponsored links
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Jan 12, 2004 09:39 |  #17

Use extender with Angle finder C

The only time I use the extender is when I use my angle finder C, I had the same problem with the extender poping off. I tried for awhile to leave it on the camera, but it kept falling off. However, since I got it to go with my angle finder C so my forehead whould not hit flash, I now keep the extender with the Angle finder. Less likely to lose it that way.

BTW, the AF-C sure comes in handy when shooting from the floor, My neck is very thankful for that tool.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

mkatona
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 12, 2004 22:53 |  #18

I have the extender on my D60. After it falling off twice, I cut a piece of black plastic electrical tape about 1 1/2" long and afixed it to the seam where the eye piece and the camera join on top. You have to look hard to see it and no more problems.
Mike :wink:

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2008 21:46 |  #19

hmm, I'm deciding on whether or not to buy an eyepiece extender for my EOS 5D. Reason being was it just felt a crap load better not having my nose hit my LCD. I decided to consider it after looking through a Nikon D2x and I really like the large eyepiece and the fact it protrudes out for a nice easy feel. I'm curious however, I'm a little concerned since I see it seems to easily come off. My question is, how does it mount, I may be able to work around it.

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

DDan
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2008 21:56 |  #20

JCheungPhoto wrote in post #4690925 (external link)
hmm, I'm deciding on whether or not to buy an eyepiece extender for my EOS 5D. Reason being was it just felt a crap load better not having my nose hit my LCD. I decided to consider it after looking through a Nikon D2x and I really like the large eyepiece and the fact it protrudes out for a nice easy feel. I'm curious however, I'm a little concerned since I see it seems to easily come off. My question is, how does it mount, I may be able to work around it.

You are not limited to Canon eyepiece extenders. I put a Nikon dk-21m on the back of my 400D. The VF is more universal than I thought.

My Gear
DansRacePhotos.com (external link)

Dangerous Dan

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2008 22:00 |  #21

mkatona wrote in post #131519 (external link)
I have the extender on my D60. After it falling off twice, I cut a piece of black plastic electrical tape about 1 1/2" long and afixed it to the seam where the eye piece and the camera join on top. You have to look hard to see it and no more problems.
Mike :wink:

can you give a picture of that, much appreciated

ps: I'm also considering the nikon eyepiece extender.

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

Calindy
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 12, 2008 23:39 |  #22

Here is what worked for me. I put a small rubberband around the eyepiece, I fit it onto the camera, and then I cut off the rubberband pieces that are sticking out. It is the same idea as the paper, I have just found the rubberband works better!

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

Zonieart
602 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2008 00:01 |  #23

My day job is a mechanical engineer. I planned on researching a solution for you to see what would be acceptable. However, after taking my camera out of the bag, the dog-gone eyepiece is missing again (for the third time)! Time to buy another eyepiece and get rid of the extender, or at least engineer a solution to prevent the problem. On the extender (Canon EP-EX15) itself, do not try to force the slot arms out to obtain more pressure. They are made of cheap plasic and will snap with very little force. The design that canon uses to attach the eye-piece and extender (two slots with no latching mechanism) is a pretty inferior design practice.

Retired and Loving it!

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 13, 2008 00:02 |  #24

Do not REPEAT Do not use gorilla glue. Dont ask, I dont want to lie to anyone. Just trust me.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

claybuster
723 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 13, 2008 05:26 |  #25

msnow wrote in post #130088 (external link)
Tom--I got so sick and tired of it coming off I bought a new regular one and I'll never use it again. I was hoping it would work for me...I tried silicon, shimming (as described by fbaxley) and nothing really worked. Besides the setting numbers and indicators were so small (for my old eyes) with it on I didn't find it practical. It seems that those plastic rails get stretched out when you remove it (to put the new eyepiece on) and they just don't ever seem to rebound back to the normal width. I guess you could try heating them but damn, that's bad engineering. The guys at Canoga Camera told me it was a "common problem".

Like you I lost mine all of the time. I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and there were at least three occasions where people would walk up to me (holding my precious eyepiece) saying "did you drop this"?

Good luck and let me know if you find a permanent solution.

I was thinking about getting one because I wear eyeglasses. Is it possible to remove the lens from the eyepiece so the numbers and indicators would not look so small? Canon says it reduces magnification by 30%,I couldn't live with that but would like to just have the extra length of the eyepiece. Maybe I'll look at the nikon or get the canon one and see if I can come up with a solution to keep it on. Anyone want to sell the one they have? less any slicone or gorilla glue:D
Mike

MY GEAR
Whatever you are, be a good one- Abraham Lincoln

adam*
Goldmember
4,411 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 13, 2008 05:31 |  #26

How about a plastic cover over the LCD, that way problems solved :)

:: For sale: 70-200 2.8L :: Nikon D700 ::
:: my site :: www.pbase.com/adamgray​photography (external link) ::

Zonieart
602 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2008 09:48 |  #27

adam* wrote in post #4692556 (external link)
How about a plastic cover over the LCD, that way problems solved :)

How would that keep the eyepiece and extender on?

Retired and Loving it!

adam*
Goldmember
4,411 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 13, 2008 09:57 |  #28

You don't use the extender and you don't get gunk on your screen?

:: For sale: 70-200 2.8L :: Nikon D700 ::
:: my site :: www.pbase.com/adamgray​photography (external link) ::

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2008 09:59 |  #29

I put a very, very small dot of super glue in there.

When it needs to come off, it just 'pops' and a little fleck flies away.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link)┬á
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Zonieart
602 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2008 13:49 |  #30

adam* wrote in post #4693388 (external link)
You don't use the extender and you don't get gunk on your screen?

Now it makes sense. Thanks!:oops:

Retired and Loving it!

sponsored links

4,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I get the eypiece extender to stay on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.