Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how many feet =XXmm?

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 13, 2008 09:27 |  #1

if i have a sigma 12-24mm, and i am taking a photo at the 12mm side of it...how many feet would i have to step back with a 24-105 to get the same frame?

haha does this make sense?

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 13, 2008 09:50 |  #2

Twice as far as you are with the 12mm FL.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Jan 13, 2008 10:08 |  #3

Mayby this can help http://photo.net/learn​/making-photographs/lens (external link)
If not I have the mathematical formula incase you want to calculate from scratch. Good luck.
Greetings

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 13, 2008 10:14 |  #4

As Wilt said, double the focal length is (as a good approximation) the same as halving the distance. So, if you were taking a photo of a subject 10 feet away at 12mm you would need to be 20 feet away at 24mm (i.e. step back onther 10 feet). If you were taking a photo of the moon, you would need to step back about a quarter of a million miles :)

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 13, 2008 11:07 |  #5

i am looking more for a formula. what if i am using a 17-40 f/4. and what to get the same shot w/ my 70-200?

simwells
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 13, 2008 11:14 |  #6

bigcountry wrote in post #4693686 (external link)
i am looking more for a formula. what if i am using a 17-40 f/4. and what to get the same shot w/ my 70-200?

You'd have to have roughly four times the distance between the object and you, than you had with the it 17mm to it at 70mm.

Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 13, 2008 11:27 |  #7

bigcountry wrote in post #4693248 (external link)
if i have a sigma 12-24mm, and i am taking a photo at the 12mm side of it...how many feet would i have to step back with a 24-105 to get the same frame?

For one thing, you will NEVER get the same image unless you were shooting a two-dimensional subject such as a wall or a sign. Here's why.....

This is part of Photography 101, and is all about controlling perspective in your images.

Many inexperienced photographers choose focal lengths merely to be able to frame a subject from whatever camera position they feel is convenient at the moment. They probably don't even realize that there is a huge composition advantage in finding a better vantage point for the shot. The reasons are that distance between the viewer (or camera) and subject is what changes perspective and a different angle, combined with a perspective change can potentially make a huge difference in the quality of composition in a photo.

When I am trying to be completely "in control" of my images, I will - when possible - choose my camera position based on what it does to the perspective. Then, and only then, I will choose a focal length to fill the camera’s frame with the intended image.

Here's a simple example of how perspective control can work for you:

Let's assume that you are taking a photo of some friends in a scene that has mountains in the background. You stand 20 feet from the people and view the scene. A 50mm lens will let you fill the frame with the group of people and some of the background quite nicely, so you take a shot. Then you realize that the mountains are rather small in the background.

Back up to to 40 feet (twice the distance) from the group of people and view the scene, you will see that the mountains are now larger relative to the people - twice the size they were before, in fact. However, the people are smaller in your viewfinder. You now need a 100mm lens to keep the people the same size as in the first image, but the mountains now appear twice the size that they were in the first shot.

Why is this? It's because the additional twenty feet that you put between yourself and the people is insignificant relative to the fifteen miles between your viewing spot and the mountains.

When you are closer to subjects, perspective still comes into play. If you shoot a portrait from a location very close to the subject, the nearest objects (a nose, for example) will be larger relative to more distant objects (such as an ear) than they would appear from a greater distance. That is why experienced portrait photographers like to use a little more distance - and thus a little longer lens – than some beginning photographers would choose when shooting conventional portraits. The subject will usually be happier with the perspective achieved by the greater distance.

Reinforcing what others have said (your "formula"): Double the distance, double the focal length to keep the primary subject the same size in the image.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 13, 2008 11:48 |  #8

bigcountry wrote in post #4693686 (external link)

Let's state this so you do not have to keep asking the same questions for different combinations of focal length comparisons...

Shooting distances (with same subject area in the frame) are always proportional

12/24 = 1/2

17/70 = 1/4.1

as Skip's message states, this is to keep the same amount of subject area at the plane of the subject. But , as he states, the 'perspective' is different for different focal lengths (i.e. the relationship of objects in front or behind the subject) because the camera position is the different to retain same subject area in the frame.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 13, 2008 12:48 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #4693882 (external link)
Let's state this so you do not have to keep asking the same questions for different combinations of focal length comparisons...

Let me ask the question this way...
now if i have a canon 300mm 2.8 IS. and a canon 15mm fisheye, how far back would i have to go get the equal distance?

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,870 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 13, 2008 12:56 |  #10

bigcountry wrote in post #4694189 (external link)
now if i have a canon 300mm 2.8 IS. and a canon 15mm fisheye, how far back would i have to go get the equal distance?

Let me answer this way:
What John McEnroe was famous for saying...

Dave
Image editing OK

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2008 12:59 |  #11

You have to step back outside the curvature of the local space/time continuum. Tricky.

This (external link) should answer some of your questions.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 13, 2008 21:37 |  #12

(300mm/15mm)*n = the same framing,
where n is the distance you are standing when using the shorter lens.

It is the proportional distance. 300mm is 20 times the 15mm FL, so you stand 20 times as far!

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 13, 2008 22:03 |  #13

bigcountry wrote in post #4693248 (external link)

haha does this make sense?

Ahhhh,,,,the best zoom lens ever made,,,,your legs....

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 13, 2008 22:15 |  #14

Thanks for the explanation Skip. I cringed after reading the post.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 13, 2008 22:50 |  #15

ok, let me ask you this.

if i have the canon 35mm 1.4 L, and i am shooting away from my subject at five feet at f/1.8, how many feet back and at what apeture and focal length would i have to go w/ a 70-200 2.8 IS?
Thanks!

sponsored links

5,344 views & 0 likes for this thread
how many feet =XXmm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.