Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Are Some Of The Best Photoshop Plugins/Actions/Filters?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2008 07:36 |  #1

I was looking for a sticky or thread with this information but couldn't find it.

I'm developing some great techniques for skin smoothing and I also see all kinds of actions, plugins and filters designed to simplify or enhance the process.

I'd love to see everything that's out there but for now my primary interest is in finding those Photoshop add-ons that are most useful to photographers doing photo retouching for portraiture, fashion and glamour.

I'm looking for realistic effects and photo filters, not the ones that turn the skin into plastic or apply effects (at least for now).

Free is always good but I'm more than willing to pay for the ones that are worth it and give me what I need.

Any recommendations?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
amccomis
361 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 13, 2008 07:56 |  #2

atncentral.com has a metric ton of them -- all free -- and with viewable before/after samples. start there for the free ones, and then check out photog's blogs to read about their latest one they bought and their raves about them to know which ones are worth buying.

Had gear, but sold it off. Starting back in with a SL1 / kit lens. Looking to expand the collection.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2008 08:14 as a reply to  @ amccomis's post |  #3

Hi amccomis,

Thanks for the link but what I'm seeing there is not really what I'm looking for and no offense to the authors of those actions listed there, but quite honestly many of them are just terrible and the effects are amateurish.

I'm looking for more high end actions, plugins and filters that professionals are using to really add that great finishing touch to skin or the face. I wish I could better describe or show an example of what I'm looking for but I'm just starting my search and don't have examples.

As I said, I have no problem paying for quality. Many times it makes more sense than to mess around with actions that are just mediocre.

Any other links?

Robert

corporallouis
288 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 13, 2008 09:01 |  #4

TMR Design wrote in post #4692979 (external link)
As I said, I have no problem paying for quality. Many times it makes more sense than to mess around with actions that are just mediocre.

Any other links?

Try: http://www.kubotaworks​hops.com …_id=16183&categ​ory_id=258 (external link)
This might be close to what you want. It's from onOne Software that Kubota assisted with developing some actions. Their (onOne's) website has a lot of info on this program in their tutorials. Check out Kubota's site for lots of retouching actions also. Have a look at Nik's Color FX Pro 3 as well as Tiffen's Dfx filters. Kodak has some facial retouching applications. There are numerous more ones out there....

Canon XTi with grip, Canon 5D and BGE4 Grip, Canon 70 - 200 f4 L, Canon 100-400 L IS, Canon 24 - 105 f4 L IS, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, Canon Flash 580 EX ll , Hasselblad 500 C/M, Tele-Rolleiflex TLR 135mm, Manfrotto 055XPROB / 488 RC2 head, Manfrotto 681B monopod

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2008 09:13 as a reply to  @ corporallouis's post |  #5

Thanks corporallouis,

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thank you. :D

Robert

Screamer
803 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 13, 2008 09:36 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #6

onOne Photo Tools Professional and Alienskin Exposure 2 are excellent...aren't cheap either. I do use both in post.

- Phil
Canon 1-Series Bodies, 5Dmk3 (for cinema), & XF305| L Glass & Zeiss Primes| Some lighting stuff from Sweden ;)
|http://www.philmacino.​com (external link)

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2008 09:41 as a reply to  @ Screamer's post |  #7

Hi Phil,

Do you perhaps have an image (or images) where you've used those plugins? I would love to see real world application.

Robert

Screamer
803 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 13, 2008 10:46 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #8

Here is a quick couple ("befores" are top, "afters" are below). I'll preface this example by saying, I do subtle adjustments. The less I have to do in post, the better for me.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

- Phil
Canon 1-Series Bodies, 5Dmk3 (for cinema), & XF305| L Glass & Zeiss Primes| Some lighting stuff from Sweden ;)

Screamer
803 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 13, 2008 11:00 as a reply to  @ Screamer's post |  #9

Here is another one. On this one, I used both plugins (Photo Tools Pro and Exposure 2)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

- Phil

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2008 11:04 as a reply to  @ Screamer's post |  #10

Thanks Phil,

The first 2 samples are very subtle. The last one is very nice and I love the effect.

Robert

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 13, 2008 11:06 |  #11

Power Retouche Pro (external link) _ provides a pretty good suite of plugins.

multiple*choices
49 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 14, 2008 14:51 |  #12

Screamer - I love your work!

MCP
Photoshop Training (external link) | Photoshop Actions (external link) | MCP Blog (external link)

lnterestlng
393 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2008 17:09 |  #13

Robert,
Most of the actions I use are not complete processes but more for saving time before/during/after my skin work, or any other work for that matter. For example, when I want to D&B skin I'll use an action to setup my layers(see pic) so that I can just start working and skip the repetitive stuff like that. All I'll do is press a function key and then go to work. 10-12 seconds here and there adds up during the day.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

As you are realizing, with skin you just have to get your hands dirty so to speak and do it the right way. There will always be shortcuts and actions that people create and some will do for personal work but commercial work requires a little more involvement. Now that you have your pen tablet you can really get some work done.

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,501 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2008 18:03 |  #14

You do realize actions and plugins do things anyone can do in photoshop with all the built in tools. They all are using a combination of tools within PS to create effects just automating it for you.

I bought the Onone bundle that has all there plugins and I can tell ya the only I one I like is the genuine fractals print pro because it makes copping and resizing for specific print sizes fast with great results, most of the others seem like novelties. The photoframe plugin is pretty cool, fun to play around with.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

JonathanSQ
434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 14, 2008 19:22 |  #15

I use 'dSLR Tools' action set by Noel Carboni. He's a member at another forum I visit
for Astronomy. Extremely nice guy, nice product. I use his actions as a standard part
of my processing routine. I also have the Astronomy Tools Set, which is also great :D

http://actions.home.at​t.net/index.html (external link) <- Link to his page for Photoshop Actions.
PS: Oh, forgot to mention - the price is most excellent, all things considering :D

Note: You can edit my photo just tell me how you did it ;)
Canon EOS 350D/OPTech Strap | Canon EF-S 18-55mm | Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MkII
| Tamron 75-300mm
Bogen 679B Monopod |
Misc. CF cards, filters, bags, laptop, software, etc.
http://JWSquire.com (external link) - Home Page |
:D The desire to learn :D

sponsored links

16,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Are Some Of The Best Photoshop Plugins/Actions/Filters?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.