Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amvona720

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 14, 2008 11:10 as a reply to  @ post 4700581 |  #16

And then there are those like myself that had a bad experience and chose to not do business with them rather than filing a complaint. I can't be alone.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
jbdial1515
248 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2008 11:16 |  #17

And if you search on here, you will find a lot of people that have used them and have been very satisfied.

I for one bought a tripod from their ebay auction. I am not going to say it competes with the quality of a name brand but for the price point, it is excellent. It has served me wondefully.

I also thought I had problems with it to begin with and called their customer service and they were wonderful. I think I did have to call 2 or 3 times but the individual was very helpful.

30D | Canon 70-200 f/4 L | Canon 24-105 f/4 L | Canon 580EX II and 500 DG Super

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2008 11:21 |  #18

The OP's question was if anyone had any problems ordering from Amvona. The answer to that is "yes" (do a search for "amvona problems" for starters).

Amvona does not have an exemplary reputation as a supplier as evidenced by the BBB report which is significantly worse than, say, Bogen (comparable services and products) - a company many times their size.

One would presume that they would have more happy questions that unhappy ones or they would be completely out of business.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2008 11:28 |  #19

JohnJ80 wrote in post #4700581 (external link)
At least 24 people had various problems with Amvona - not the least of which were financial issues and falsified advertising issues. The question was if anyone had had problems with them - well - here are 24 that have. You can also find significant numbers if you do a web search.

If you read what satisfactory means, it is a very low bar - like no significant runs in with Law Enforcement.

J.

I'm speaking of tripods. How many of the 24 are tripods related? My point in this is that there are problems with any company you deal with. I know that I wouldn't use amvona for backdrops and ballheads and lightstands for they have many people complaining about how they handle these items.

As far as tripods are concerned, they are great for the pricepoint. Simply stating a blanket statement that the company has complaints means that they are a crap company. They are not the best but anyone should proceed cautiously when deciding what to purchase with a company.

As far as their ebay auctions for tripods, it was done swiftly and painlessly.

I know that the OP's question is any issues with Amvona. We are simply stating other point of views.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2008 11:46 |  #20

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4700727 (external link)
They are not the best but anyone should proceed cautiously when deciding what to purchase with a company.

I know that the OP's question is any issues with Amvona. We are simply stating other point of views.

Agreed. Also consider that while the feedback rating system on Ebay may not be perfect it does give some indication of a company's rep (Amvona is 99.6% in a sample size of 70,000, even taking two standard devs of that still gives good data). The problem with many retailers is that there is no system by which to judge them (let's be honest, most people do not file a complaint with BBB unless seriously wronged). In that sense, it's apples and oranges to compare so we blindly assume that the retailer with no rating must be better after reading some complaints about a company like Amvona. I'm not saying either is better, simply stating that it's tough to really compare the two and even if Amvona had a feedback rating of 90%, odds are still in the consumers favor.

Again, just another pov to the story. Always, buyer beware.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2008 11:51 |  #21

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4700727 (external link)
I'm speaking of tripods. How many of the 24 are tripods related? My point in this is that there are problems with any company you deal with. I know that I wouldn't use amvona for backdrops and ballheads and lightstands for they have many people complaining about how they handle these items.

As far as tripods are concerned, they are great for the pricepoint. Simply stating a blanket statement that the company has complaints means that they are a crap company. They are not the best but anyone should proceed cautiously when deciding what to purchase with a company.

The question becomes "is the price low enough and the performance high enough that I would consider taking the risk on doing business with them?" The answer for some is "yes" on this. The answer for me is "no." YMMV.

Here are some other "points of view":
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=214590
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=328590
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=330330
http://www.nikonians.o​rg …m=15050&forum=D​CForumID15 (external link)
http://www.stevesforum​s.com …=43880&forum_id​=73&page=2 (external link)
http://forums.ebay.com …start=0&mod=119​9284750237 (external link)

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2008 12:03 |  #22

JohnJ80 wrote in post #4700849 (external link)
The question becomes "is the price low enough and the performance high enough that I would consider taking the risk on doing business with them?" The answer for some is "yes" on this. The answer for me is "no." YMMV.

Here are some other "points of view":
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=214590
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=328590
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=330330
http://www.nikonians.o​rg …m=15050&forum=D​CForumID15 (external link)
http://www.stevesforum​s.com …=43880&forum_id​=73&page=2 (external link)
http://forums.ebay.com …start=0&mod=119​9284750237 (external link)

J.

good point and I think it's clear that there are two sides to this issue. as I mentioned, buyer beware in any situation.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2008 12:08 |  #23

namasste wrote in post #4700906 (external link)
good point and I think it's clear that there are two sides to this issue. as I mentioned, buyer beware in any situation.

Yep. Let the buyer beware is the guiding phrase.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2008 12:33 |  #24

Yup. Be aware..

I am, of course, going to get myself a Manfrotto 055Bpro, in the event these die on me.

Lenses and Gear List

Strayz
691 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2008 12:58 |  #25

I have bought a Tripod and head from the EBAY site and I would agree they really gouge you on the shipping. 20$ for 2 week shipping for the legs and 20$ for shipping for the head. If it was not for the fact I won the auctions. There would have been no reason to bid on the auctions. $70.00 usd for a decent tripod (TRIPOD BASE LEGS AT-L102T) and meh head(ACTION BALL HEAD ATH-A02), the head doesn't inspire confidence.

Back to learning after a 5ish year break from photography

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2008 13:14 |  #26

Strayz wrote in post #4701215 (external link)
I have bought a Tripod and head from the EBAY site and I would agree they really gouge you on the shipping. 20$ for 2 week shipping for the legs and 20$ for shipping for the head. If it was not for the fact I won the auctions. There would have been no reason to bid on the auctions. $70.00 usd for a decent tripod (TRIPOD BASE LEGS AT-L102T) and meh head(ACTION BALL HEAD ATH-A02), the head doesn't inspire confidence.

Shipping on eBay is usually bad. Lucky for me, Amvona is located in Massachusetts and I'm in Jersey so it arrived to me literally next day. Well 2 days, after processing the payments and so forth.

I know that ground shipping from B&H is about 5-8 bucks (depending, of course, what you are buying) and it arrives next day for me. Anything arrives next day for me if I order from B&H/Adorama and I have never paid near 20$ for shipping.

Lenses and Gear List

sponsored links

1,715 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amvona720
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.