Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 01:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo of a Photo -so clear- is my daughter lying?

george50
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2008 01:24 |  #1

Photo of a photo - possible? My kids are getting slicker as the years go by. Im a snoopy Dad, and I only argue with my kids based on solid facts, and I'm just trying to figure out if this is possible...

I found a JPG of my daughter at a beach party during the time she was supposed to be grounded. She claims it was a photo of her at a party a year prior, and she just took a photo of the print since she didnt have a scanner and wanted to put it on her facebook page. She claims she did this when she was grounded and bored at home. Is this possible? The picture looks pretty sharp, but thats why I'm asking this question. The reason why I'm going all CSI on her is because the boy in the picture is her ex boyfriend who is a drug abuser and she claimed she broke up with him. I just want to be sure!
Shes a photography nut and has access to bright lights (but no access to a scanner)
The metadata (image properties) of the JPG shows:
Photo A
1/251 sec shutter speed
F/6.3
focal 6mm
exposure time 1/250sec

Photo B
f/3.2
focal 6mm
exposure time 1/640

Theyre all 600x400, 120 to 180dpi - not exactly super high-res or 8x10 quality, but looks like your average myspace photos.
the best i can do with my own experiments with a reading lamp is 1/120 film speed and 3.2 aperture. If i push it to ISO1600 it looks obviously grainy. I dont have a lot of lights but perhaps you boys have some big toys which can do this?
My question is - could she have taken a photo of a photo INDOORS with lots of lights, and still come up with the same image meta data as Photo A and Photo B above? (which look like real outdoors photos)

If you could post samples of your "photo of a photo" creations that look digital quality, not grainy...and also have similar metadata to the one above, then my mind will be at rest. If not possible, then please let me know why so I can confront my daugther with some facts.

On another note, is it possible to easily modify meta-data, especially DATE photo taken? because she might be doing that in the future.

Looking forward to seeing responses....
Thank you for your help
George

sponsored links
Swimming_Bird
65 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2008 01:38 |  #2

the 6mm focal length makes me think it's a photo of a photo. or is this from a point-and-shoot camera? if it was a DSLR and she took the actual photos i doubt she'd use such a focal length. but i have no idea how point and shoots work so if it's that i dont know. i dont really know of any lenses that go under 10mm, so i imagine it's a point and shoot.

on the other end, the changes in f-stop and shutter speed dont really support the photo of a photo theory.

like i said, it's important to say what type of camera she has, if she has access to lights i imagine that she probably uses a DSLR. But it's important to say what type of camera it is.

Break it down:
DSLR:
*the changes in aperture/shutter dont make sense for a photo of a photo. it'd probably remain constant
*a 6mm focal length supports the photo of a photo

non-dslr:
Cant really say since the auto settings in the camera are a lot less predictable.

Sigma 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, XTi w/ Kit

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 15, 2008 02:14 as a reply to  @ Swimming_Bird's post |  #3

Sadly, I think that in "going CSI", you have lost sight of what it is that you are doing and what this means to your relationship with your daughter -- the way that you are going about this "criminal" investigation is so wrong that I would not even consider supporting your well intended, but sadly misguided effort. If you would spend as much time building a positive relationship as you seem to be working on an adversarial relationship, I think that you would not have found yourself in the current predicament. Ask yourself what the next step in this escalating situation will be and also ask yourself why you are seeking help from photographers rather than getting with your daughter and working through these problems with a professional counselor.

These are harsh words and I have never used this sort of rhetoric online, but I feel very sincerely that you need a strong dose of reality.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Swimming_Bird
65 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2008 02:15 |  #4

i agree overall, but i feel as though the internet with no context as to the situation is not the best place to critique someones parenting.

I had a few sentences mentioning that but decided to omit them.

Sigma 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, XTi w/ Kit

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2008 02:21 |  #5

I was gonna make an analogy to prison wardens but I decided I better not. :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 15, 2008 02:24 |  #6

Swimming_Bird wrote in post #4705922 (external link)
i agree overall, but i feel as though the internet with no context as to the situation is not the best place to critique someones parenting.

I had a few sentences mentioning that but decided to omit them.

You are probably right and by the same token, the OP shouldn't have been airing out his family problems and soliciting our assistance in his deeds. I am hoping that the whole thread gets yanked.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Jan 15, 2008 02:26 as a reply to  @ Swimming_Bird's post |  #7

Editing metadata is very easy to do. There are a huge number of programs out there that do it.

Photo of a photo thing -- without seeing the reproductions and the originals, it's too hard to say. I'd be very reluctant to take anything that anyone here tells you as definitive evidence in a case against your daughter. You know the situation better than we do, and are in a much better position to judge the whole of the situation. Even if I could say, I'm not sure that I would.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2008 02:27 |  #8

She was with me the whole time. No worries, Dad.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 15, 2008 02:30 |  #9

ibdb wrote in post #4705967 (external link)
Editing metadata is very easy to do. There are a huge number of programs out there that do it.

Photo of a photo thing -- without seeing the reproductions and the originals, it's too hard to say. I'd be very reluctant to take anything that anyone here tells you as definitive evidence in a case against your daughter. You know the situation better than we do, and are in a much better position to judge the whole of the situation. Even if I could say, I'm not sure that I would.

well said David. :)

OP, I can appreciate that you are trying to "know what your kids are doing". Too many parents don't.

That being said, it is easy to change the metadata in a photo but often the file will then say "metadata has been changed" and give an original date and a date of the change.

But there are just as many programs out there that can strip metadata and you'll find no information on the photo.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 15, 2008 03:46 |  #10

cdifoto wrote in post #4705970 (external link)
She was with me the whole time. No worries, Dad.

She was with you too? :D

- Matt

Zepher
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 15, 2008 04:43 |  #11

Here is a photo of a photo. It was much faster to just take pictures of them than to scan them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Manny Desantos
Intel C2Q Q6600 3.06Ghz, 8GB Ram, 8.1TB, XFX HD5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, PS CS4 EXT (external link)

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶_______________

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 15, 2008 05:53 |  #12

george50 wrote in post #4705730 (external link)
Is this possible?

Yes.

Why not take her word on it?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2008 07:25 |  #13

George50 - I'm not being funny, but what if you find out she is 'tricking' you - what are you going to do?

Maybe you should give her the benefit of the doubt this time, but I really think you should talk about this to her rather than trying to get all the 'private eyes' in this forum (including me) to make suggestion and comments about your family.

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 15, 2008 07:46 |  #14

How about getting the kid to show the father how she did such a wonderful job with this image in PS or whatever plug-in that was used.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2008 07:58 |  #15

How about we let this thread go for now since OP hasn't come back.

sponsored links

4,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo of a Photo -so clear- is my daughter lying?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.