Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 18 Jan 2008 (Friday) 19:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 new Canon SLR's in 2008?

DVS_WiNdz
Cream of the Crop
9,835 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 21, 2008 00:47 |  #31

Don't know if it is time for a 450D yet.. maybe by the end of the year or early next year?

Stephen L.
Gear list

sponsored links
silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 21, 2008 01:31 |  #32

Maybe they will use the 30D body with for a FF 6MP 450D that would be a hit and price it for under $1000

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

Broncobear
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 21, 2008 01:43 |  #33

But the 5D is going to be down to about 1800 once it's next release is out. why would they canibilize themselves like that?

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." " (external link)Marcel Proust (external link)

Gear& Frank's Flickr (external link)

Geoffery
114 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 21, 2008 02:31 |  #34

I will admit that the FF entry-levels are just my part of PMA 2008 predictions than reality. What is confirmed are two new entry-level EOS DSLRs and both won't be a 5D replacement or successor. That's all I know. Whether any of these two models are going to be 1.6x, 1.3x or FF is anyone's guess for time being.

And, for the last time, forget about there going to be an EOS 5D MK II, there won't be any. "Mark xxx ... " designation is reserved exclusively for 1D-series, and not for entry-level and midrange EOS bodies. If it was, Canon would have named EOS 30D as EOS 20D Mark II already but it didn't.

While PMA Show is USA's most important annual photo-related trade show, it is still not as popular as the bi-annual Photokina World Imaging Fair held at Cologne, Germany. The reason both the new Mark IIIs were announced last year is due to 2007 being Canon Inc's 70th anniversary but Photokina is best reserved for bigger product announcements.

With exception to 1D Mark II and 1D Mark III, all previous and existing 1D-series as well as the 5D were announced during the 2nd half (or 3rd-quarter) of their debut years:

EOS-1D in Sept 2001
EOS-1Ds in Sept 2002 (Photokina)
EOS-1Ds Mark II in Sept 2004 (Photokina)
EOS 5D & EOS-1D Mark II N in August 2005 (non-Photokina year)
EOS-1Ds Mark III in August 2007 (non-Photokina year)

Canon EOS 1D MKIIN
Canon EF 70-200/F2.8L | Canon EF 400/F5.6L | Canon EF 17-40/F4L | Canon EF 85/F1.8

David ­ Nicole
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 21, 2008 02:44 |  #35

Geoffery wrote in post #4740619 (external link)
EOS 450D is 6MP full frame and EOS 450Ds is 8.6MP full frame - bye bye to EF-S mount.
For PMA Show 2008.

EOS-3D is 12.8MP full frame with 6 fps, new 60-point AF eclispe and DiG!C III, Live View w/AF, 3.0" OLED screen and more. Basically a "preview" of advanced technology to come and the 3D serves as the testbed, just as it did on the 5D (Picture Styles, low noise and 2.5-inch LCD). In time for Photokina 2008 in September.

It won't be. Canon designed lenses like 10-22, 17-55 exactly for those. xxxD and xxD they will be forever APS-C as long as EF-S is in market. Newbies doesn't know about FF ore APS; is only about mpx; this is where marketing is making some logic. For the advanced shooter FF is the next level.
And the mother of all APS si 1D whitch is exactly designed for sport, birders for all teleshoters. So crop has its way and it makes some sense.

Abot FF there is the need for an entry level camera (5D-7D), an advanced pro one for general pro photographer (3D) and the top studio camera (1Ds)

VTSHEP1
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 21, 2008 09:36 |  #36

MLphoto wrote in post #4732848 (external link)
I just still think the 450D is to early, if it came out in the summer that would be a right time.

I wish it was too early, because that would almost ensure the 5DmkII or 3D, 7D....unfortunately the 450D line is and has always been on an 18 month release schedule, and its been 18 months.

Maybe Canon will do something different this year.

www.ShepPhoto.com (external link)

Gear: EOS 3D mkMXVI, 1-15600mm smf-IS f0L

Broncobear
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 21, 2008 11:46 |  #37

The thing is it with it being an Olympic year...I thought PMA might be a huge time to be put in new additions.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." " (external link)Marcel Proust (external link)

VTSHEP1
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 21, 2008 12:21 |  #38

Broncobear wrote in post #4749544 (external link)
The thing is it with it being an Olympic year...I thought PMA might be a huge time to be put in new additions.

In 2004 before the summer olypics they released the 1DmkII in late January, and waited until the fall for the 20D and the 1DsmkII. This makes sense as the 1D is the sports shooter...

www.ShepPhoto.com (external link)

Gear: EOS 3D mkMXVI, 1-15600mm smf-IS f0L

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 22, 2008 02:29 |  #39

Geoffery wrote in post #4742209 (external link)
Nikon has no problem selling the D40 with only 6MP.

A full-frame 6MP will have cleaner images at high ISO and a lot of EOS users from film era can shoot with a full-frame DSLR without breaking the bank. Those that could not afford either the 5D or 1Ds MK II (or III).

I'd certainly be interested in something along these lines as my second body after my 1DM3.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

Bob-Hamlet
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2008 02:55 |  #40

[QUOTE=Geoffery;474754​5]I will admit that the FF entry-levels are just my part of PMA 2008 predictions than reality. What is confirmed are two new entry-level EOS DSLRs and both won't be a 5D replacement or successor.

Well, I have expected a FF entry-level camera in 2007-09, but I think a Canon executive stated that there is no need for FF in entry-level cameras; no reason was stated, but I figure that the improvement in noise-pixel ratio in 1.6x-sensors will continue to improve, negating any need for FF for that reason, and entry-level cameras should be as small as possible, low-cost cameras.

I also think you are wrong about the 5D replacement - I think it will be announced a 7D or 3D at PMA, simply because a Canon executive has stated that they are going to release a "5D-intermediate" camera, and I don't think they would spill their beans unless the release is imminent.

However, it could be a more "intermediate", aka 40D, FF-camera at PMA (named 7D), and a more semi-professional, aka 3D, at photokina in the fall.

I think Canon has a few surprises for us... ;)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 22, 2008 03:13 |  #41

Broncobear wrote in post #4749544 (external link)

I see one minor flaw in your thinking:

A gig like the Olympics just isn't the place to be a guniea pig. You HAVE to know your gear cold (no time for new tricks) and you HAVE to trust that it will work (no room for Oh Sh*t, I forgot to set this, that or the other...)

Canon, of course, can introduce whatever they desire at PMA, but I don't think The Olympics, Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, etc are places to use as "proving grounds."

Just my $0.02...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 22, 2008 06:07 |  #42

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #4754864 (external link)

A gig like the Olympics just isn't the place to be a guniea pig. You HAVE to know your gear cold (no time for new tricks) and you HAVE to trust that it will work (no room for Oh Sh*t, I forgot to set this, that or the other...)

Canon, of course, can introduce whatever they desire at PMA, but I don't think The Olympics, Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, etc are places to use as "proving grounds."

Just my $0.02...

I recall that there were 1DM3 pre production models being used at major sporting events before it was released. It's a while back now but I think the Superbowl was one of the events it was used at.

Where else are you going to properly test the abilities of a camera designed for sports shooting unless they let sports shooters cover some actual events?

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

Broncobear
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2008 07:03 |  #43

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #4754864 (external link)

Just my $0.02...

The olympics are not until July so releases in March will have plenty fo time to get thouroughly tested and knowing pro sport photographers like I do, they thrive on bleeding edge technology to get the better action shots.

I actually think there may be more lenses then bodies to help for the olympics but I do know test beta's have been used at major sporting events and some photographers were happy to volunteer in trying them out.

herbe_nelson
321 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2008 08:25 |  #44

Broncobear wrote in post #4755435 (external link)
The olympics are not until July so releases in March will have plenty fo time to get thouroughly tested and knowing pro sport photographers like I do, they thrive on bleeding edge technology to get the better action shots.

I actually think there may be more lenses then bodies to help for the olympics but I do know test beta's have been used at major sporting events and some photographers were happy to volunteer in trying them out.

olympics begin on the 8/8/08 :p August not july. Sorry but I am a bit of an olympics buff... ;)

Should see some great shots coming from the olympics with all the new gear coming out :D

All the best,
Nelson

Nelson
www.flickr.com/photos/​herbe_nelson (external link)
www.nelpix.com (external link)

Broncobear
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2008 08:48 |  #45

herbe_nelson wrote in post #4755742 (external link)
olympics begin on the 8/8/08 :p August not july. Sorry but I am a bit of an olympics buff... ;)

Should see some great shots coming from the olympics with all the new gear coming out :D

All the best,
Nelson

Yes my mistake sorry....usually the last round of the qualifications are in July.

sponsored links

28,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 new Canon SLR's in 2008?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.