Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jan 2008 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post you best reponse to the statement{gee that camera takes great shots }

SimonG
Goldmember
1,007 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 21, 2008 20:51 |  #16

I disagree Jeffrey. While it is important to have some basic fundamental tools for both photography and cooking, more advanced techniques become available with better equipment, and in both cases, it takes a certain degree of skill to make those tools worthwhile. I guess the biggest difference between these two pursuits is that it is far less impressive to own a quality knife than a fancy camera to your average Joe. :)

In any case, to get back to the thread at hand, I too typically say "thanks" when I am faced with this situation.

-- Michael (a.k.a. SimonG)
EOS 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.4 | 430EX | Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 21, 2008 20:53 |  #17

SimonG wrote in post #4753067 (external link)
I disagree Jeffrey. While it is important to have some basic fundamental tools for both photography and cooking, more advanced techniques become available with better equipment, and in both cases, it takes a certain degree of skill to make those tools worthwhile. I guess the biggest difference between these two pursuits is that it is far less impressive to own a quality knife than a fancy camera to your average Joe. :)

Oh, well knives....that's different. I thought you meant a bundt pan.

Few pots & pans, meat thermometer, candy thermometer, good whisk....

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

SimonG
Goldmember
1,007 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 21, 2008 21:03 |  #18

A Bundt pan eh? If one sticks to the basics (knives, pots and pans vs. camera and lenses) the analogy works very well. After all, while you can cook most things whether you are using a cheap set of non-stick pans from Wal-Mart or a better set of aluminum core stainless pots, I dare you to try making demi-glace using the former. ;)

-- Michael (a.k.a. SimonG)
EOS 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.4 | 430EX | Zenfolio (external link)

Robert16
I feel like such a square
2,178 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 22, 2008 08:33 |  #19

JeffreyG wrote in post #4752768 (external link)
Now, all that said, I think when people deliver the backhanded "you have a great camera" they are really trying to compliment you. They just miss a bit. Be gracious.

I bought my Mother a p+s last birthday. She thinks it pure luck if she gets a good shot and, if she gets a lot of good shots then it must be a good camera. She, along with most friends think I make good photographs because of all that money spent on gear, not on the years of study and practice( my wife knows better.... maybe she just knows all the right things to say:D). I don't want to be a party pooper - I want to read some witty come-backs but Jeffrey has a good point.

Robert.

gear

rooeey
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 22, 2008 12:57 |  #20

Witty comebacks is what we want...
We don't want to attack any one personally just a one liner something a little funny
thatb gets the point across...
People are generally good and i am sure are giving a compliment so we should be graciouse...

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,059 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 22, 2008 12:59 |  #21

"Yeah, spending $30k on a kitchen buying a Viking range didn't improve my wife's cooking, but hopefully the fancy camera will improve my photography!"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 22, 2008 13:00 |  #22

"Yeah, it does. Here, you try."

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,059 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 22, 2008 13:21 |  #23

"Yes, I can get a perfectly exposed, perfectly focused but compositionally poor photo -- just like I could with my $200 point-and-shoot, but it costs me 10 times as much!"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

stugotzo
221 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 22, 2008 14:18 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #24

I usually just tell them to GFT. :o

Kidding!

Tampa Photographer (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2008 16:23 |  #25

Really?
Does an as*-kicking by the other party usually follow that reaction?:lol:

I would take it as a compliment (which is what it is BTW) and say thank you.

As far as a witty response to that question...that would be GFT.;););)

stugotzo wrote in post #4757686 (external link)
I usually just tell them to GFT. :o

Kidding!

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 22, 2008 16:56 |  #26

Hmmm!!!

See my sig - that is why I use it :D

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 22, 2008 17:06 |  #27

"It acted up when I first bought the thing, but sent it to school, and now the camera is trained, and sometimes it works really well." Haven't said it. but wanted to many times.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

the_incubus
my head exploded
3,456 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 22, 2008 17:54 |  #28

nicksan wrote in post #4758491 (external link)
Really?
Does an as*-kicking by the other party usually follow that reaction?:lol:

I would take it as a compliment (which is what it is BTW) and say thank you.

As far as a witty response to that question...that would be GFT.;););)

tsk nick, you didnt read the fine print

stugotzo wrote in post #4757686 (external link)
I usually just tell them to GFT. Unless they are much larger than me. If so i smile and say yes sir it does

Kidding!

And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.
My Gear

sponsored links

1,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post you best reponse to the statement{gee that camera takes great shots }
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.