Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Apr 2007 (Sunday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High in the Arctic !! Eskimo .. .. !

Adamora
Who said i want a title? :(
4,742 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 21, 2008 08:22 |  #76

I love your work, Wish i can Send over a 1DS mark 3 to help you out :)

You are the most unique person on POTN i shall ever meet.

[Adam]
[100D][Nifty Fifty]

sponsored links
steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 21, 2008 08:58 as a reply to  @ Adamora's post |  #77

Thank you for adding to this thread - I have often thought about your unique pictures showing an incredibly different way of live...!

Please show us some more!

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 21, 2008 11:07 |  #78

I am so impressed with your images and your stories. Telling a good story is a forgotten art these days. Thank you so much!

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 21, 2008 11:33 as a reply to  @ poloman's post |  #79

I totally got "lost" in your stories and your photographs.......I am exhausted!

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 21, 2008 14:41 |  #80

Really enjoyed your stories and look forward to hearing more. They are very informative and entertaining. You are bringing something that is hard to find in commercial documentaries...that personal touch. Thank you

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2008 22:36 as a reply to  @ sas8888's post |  #81

Wow. I don't know how to thank you ALL (blushing) for the comments you have so graciously posted. um, er, ah. ... what can I say, cept think of a true story to share with you. so much of what happens up here is unreported in the news media.

STORY TIME:

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/barrow/readbook.jpg

Well last August we flew up to Barrow, on a whim, because of what the barge captain told us. Get up to Barrow with your bracelets, (my sons make Ivory bracelts each and every day.) They sell quickly.

My second oldest and I head up to Barrow, broke, no place to stay, hotel ? um yeah, but that is 150 - 175 a night. We are broke, but we have many bracelets and ear-rings with us. We take a chance and fly.

I am well aware that there are housing shortages in all villages, to find a place to rent is next to impossible. I am going out on a limb so to speak, nothing but hope !! ..........(holding breath) !!

Landing in the airport in Barrow, Jets can land here, there are only two villages that Jets can land at, well three, Nome, Kotzebue & Barrow
of the three Barrow is the largest, 5000+ and growing, People from all over the world live here,

Here is an except about Barrow:

School children and travelers for years have found Barrow on the map of North

America and then chosen it as a destination for pen pal letters of a vacation

adventure. It is the town at the top of the world...the northermost community

on the North American continent. Barrow became the county seat of the North

Slope Borough when the borough was formed in 1972, shortlly after the

passage of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.

It presently serves as a hub for transportation, regional government administration, communicatinos, economic development and education in the region. However, the current history of Barrow must be measured against the archeological history. The town contains mounds and artifacts that date from a period more than 1,200 years ago. The proper and traditional name for this community is Ukpiagvik ('place for hutning owls') but a British Sailorofficer named Beechey on a surveying expeditino in 1825-26 named the place after Sir John Barrow of the British Admiralty and the name on the subsequentlly printed maps prevailed.

A few miles to the northeast lies a low penninsula, the geographic Point barrow, which marks the meeting point of the Chukchi Sea on the west and the Beaufort Sea to the east, both part of the Arctic Ocean. In addition to centuries of the comming and giong of the Native hunters and travelers, the point has seen the passage of other explorers, sailing ships of the nineteenth century commercial whalers, traders, solo adventurers, and more recently the huge barges transporting equipment modules to the Prudhoe Bay oilfields to the east of Barrow.

The population of Barrow has increased in recent years with the business and local government activities generated by the Arctic Slope Regional Corporation (ASRC) and the Borough. It stands at about 5,000 residents today with a sixty percent portion of Inupiat (Eskimo) citizens. Despite its remote location the community has a rich ethnic mixture of Asian, Pacific Island, Centeral and South American and several other national groups.

The North Slope Borough employs just under fifty per ecnt of the approximate 2,500 person workforce; the School District nearly fourteen percent and the remaining one-third of Barrow's employed work for private business and industry.

The community is served by daily passenger jet flights and several regional air carriers, Cable television and local dial-up,adsl, wireless, and high speed broadband offer complete packages for accessing Internet service, public radio on both AM and FM bands two celllular telephone providers, a local telephone service companyu, two facilities based long distance companies, and several long-distance resellers, all combine to make the Barrow community accessible to and from the rest of the world and the public switched telecommunications network. The Borough's community teleconference network operation center is in Barrow while the North-Slop[e Borough public safety divisons (Police, Fire, Search and REscue) operate an extensive radio-telephone network with links to the other Borough communities. The Borough leases a long-distance netowrk to support distance education and governmental services administration in the villages.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/barrow/wellcome2barrow.jpg

Well sit back, relax, and let me tell you what happend when we flew up here, on a whim, with absolutely no money, no place to stay.

You can't possibly do that where you live, this is insane, ha ha ha ha.. well if you have read most of this post you can tell, stuff like this doesn't happen to oridnary people.

We land, we are hungry after this 3 1/2 hour flight. Hmmm?? stepping outside the airport, we see a hotel across the street. King Eider hotel..

Mark walks in and I wait outside the airport across the street. It is warm, nice and I am all excited to see what happens.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/barrow/upiksign.jpg

Practice .. .. .. ... .. makes .. ... .. "better":cool:
30 YEARS OF ARCTIC PHOTOGRAPHS (external link)

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2008 23:19 |  #82

Adamora wrote in post #4748388 (external link)
I love your work, Wish i can Send over a 1DS mark 3 to help you out :)

You are the most unique person on POTN i shall ever meet.

Well I have no idea what IDS mark 3 is ?? a program ?

thanks for your wonderful coments,

there is so much more to come, pages and pages and pages.

with some photos of course.

Adamora
4,742 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2008 05:08 |  #83

Its the Fastest (canon) digital camera in the world :D

[Adam]
[100D][Nifty Fifty]

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 23, 2008 05:20 as a reply to  @ Adamora's post |  #84

There is just no way any digital camera will work, 7miles out on the ocean ice @ 50 below zero on a tripod for weeks at a time. Once your out there, there is no place to go to keep it warm and those batteries charged up. Sitting in the wind @ 50 mph with those temps we are talking about 100 below zero.

Just how long do you think that camera will last once it is completly frozen encased in 3/16" of ice ???

Not too fast I suppose ? I dunno !! But I can't afford to take that chance. I know from experience they just quit working once they freeze up.

Adamora
4,742 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2008 06:52 |  #85

Majik Imaje wrote in post #4762431 (external link)
There is just no way any digital camera will work, 7miles out on the ocean ice @ 50 below zero on a tripod for weeks at a time. Once your out there, there is no place to go to keep it warm and those batteries charged up. Sitting in the wind @ 50 mph with those temps we are talking about 100 below zero.

Just how long do you think that camera will last once it is completly frozen encased in 3/16" of ice ???

Not too fast I suppose ? I dunno !! But I can't afford to take that chance. I know from experience they just quit working once they freeze up.

Do not underestimate the 1D series >:), they can last up to -50celcius just fine, but the LCD sure wont work.

[Adam]
[100D][Nifty Fifty]

Edle
74 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 23, 2008 07:10 |  #86

Simply amazing!

Body: 5D MKIII Gripped, 7D MKII
Lens: EF 85mm f1.2L II - EF 50mm f1.2L - EF 16-35mm f2.8L II - EF 17-40mm f4L - EF 24-70mm f2.8L - EF 24-105mm f4L- EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS - EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II - EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye - EF 1.4x II
Flashes: 580EX II - 600EX RT Canon Battery Pack CP-E4
Tripod/Monopod/Heads : 190XPROB / 695 5-Section Magfiber / 3039 - 488RC2

tkoutdoor
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 23, 2008 07:12 |  #87

Adamora wrote in post #4762658 (external link)
Do not underestimate the 1D series >:), they can last up to -50celcius just fine, but the LCD sure wont work.

I notice that what's missing from your signature is a 1D series and instead what I see is a 400D with 2 third party lenses. :rolleyes:

Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

Adamora
4,742 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2008 07:17 |  #88

tkoutdoor wrote in post #4762739 (external link)
I notice that what's missing from your signature is a 1D series and instead what I see is a 400D. :rolleyes:

i dont use my experience, i use others. Iam not trying to get him to lust over a 1D, But stating something i know.

[Adam]
[100D][Nifty Fifty]

Travisj
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 23, 2008 07:51 as a reply to  @ Adamora's post |  #89

Superb series, thank for sharing.

If you are going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 23, 2008 11:20 |  #90

Thank You Majik, for sharing this incredible story and superb pictures, your life and your energy with us. God Bless you and watch over your people.

Dale
1Ds MkII, 5D MkII w/Canon gLass & G1X w/ 250D

sponsored links

88,967 views & 3 likes for this thread
High in the Arctic !! Eskimo .. .. !
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.