Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2008 (Friday) 21:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which telephoto lens for graduation ceremonies ?

toneepham
368 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 25, 2008 21:50 |  #1

I will be graduation high school this year and a couple of my friends will also be graduating ( from different school ). I was wondering which telephoto I should get so I can get good shots at the graduation? Graduation ceremonies are usually on the football field I would assume.

I will be renting from http://www.borrowlense​s.com/ (external link). My friends graduation will be at 3:30PM in the afternoon but my graduation will be at 6:00PM ( someone will be shooting with my camera for me , I am trying to get a lens that will be good for both graduations :D )

Canon 5d MK III gripped
Canon 30D gripped
Canon 17-40 f/4.0L
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 580EX // Nikon SB-28

sponsored links
Ultimate ­ CC
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 25, 2008 21:53 |  #2

i would say 100-400 L if you had the light but without good light the 70-200 2.8 or oneof the primes with 2.8 would get my vote...

My Gear And For Sale Items
www.danhonovich.com (external link)
www.danhonovich.blogsp​ot.com (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 25, 2008 21:54 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Hard to say not knowing where you'll be sitting, but I'd say the 70-200L would probably be a good choice.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

toneepham
THREAD ­ STARTER
368 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 25, 2008 22:08 |  #4

I will be sitting in the bleachers. Somewhat near the top

Canon 5d MK III gripped
Canon 30D gripped
Canon 17-40 f/4.0L
Canon 85mm f/1.8

ypx3
388 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2008 22:14 |  #5

If you can afford it I think this one (external link) would do the trick for both, but to reiterate what the other posters have said (who are more knowledgeable than I) it depends where you'll be siting.

Always wanting to learn
If you edit, please tell me what you did.
C+C always wanted!!
flickr (external link)
Gear List

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 26, 2008 22:58 |  #6

toneepham wrote in post #4784221 (external link)
I will be graduation high school this year and a couple of my friends will also be graduating ( from different school ). I was wondering which telephoto I should get so I can get good shots at the graduation? Graduation ceremonies are usually on the football field I would assume.

I will be renting from http://www.borrowlense​s.com/ (external link). My friends graduation will be at 3:30PM in the afternoon but my graduation will be at 6:00PM ( someone will be shooting with my camera for me , I am trying to get a lens that will be good for both graduations :D )

Tonee,

First of all, thanks for the mention. I agree with other posters in that you will probably need a low light lens. The 100-400 is a 5.6 on the 400 side and that will not be enough for 6 or 7 pm here in the Bay Area. I would go with a 70-200 2.8 IS (possibly with a 1.4 extender) if you are on a budget. If you want to go all out I would go for a 300 2.8 like ypx suggested.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Max

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 26, 2008 23:28 |  #7

I agree with the previous posters, the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and if money is no issue the 300 f/2.8 IS :D

I used a 70-200mm f/4L IS for graduation photos for my friends. I found the focal length to be adequate on a 1.6X Crop body for my purposes

The first day the hall had a lot of natural light coming in and I was able to get shutter speeds of around 1/160 at f/4 ISO 1600 which was enough to freeze action to a usable, but not perfect degree.

On the second day it rained heavily, and shutters dropped to 1/60 or so. I was in strife. It certainly showed in the results, I ended up underexposing and going to ISO 3200 to get anything meaningful. I thought that noise and exposure can be fixed in PP, but not motion blur.

Though I haven't used it, I recommend the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, the extra stop is potentially very useful, and it's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it like in my situation. The sharpness advantage of a f/4L IS is useless if you are unable to freeze the action with it. Some might say "it's only 1 stop" but I found 1 stop often makes the difference between getting a shot and missing it.

A monopod might also help if the friends using your camera don't have very good telephoto technique, but I personally found subject motion was more of an issue. (Still do what you can to minimise overall blur)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

ps249
420 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 27, 2008 00:10 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

You have to let us know how far away you will be from the podium? Will it be indoors? outdoors? This question is too generic.

40D
50 f/1.8 | 28-135 IS |
MAUREEN SOUZA FOR PRESIDENT!

toneepham
THREAD ­ STARTER
368 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 27, 2008 00:14 |  #9

Ohh I'm sorry. I will be indoors and I am not sure how far I will be away from the podium. I will most likely get the 70-200 2.8 unless I get more money so I can rent the 300mm 2.8

Canon 5d MK III gripped
Canon 30D gripped
Canon 17-40 f/4.0L
Canon 85mm f/1.8

sponsored links

4,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which telephoto lens for graduation ceremonies ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.