Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 28 Jan 2008 (Monday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1920s Mock Murder Mystery

gary88
Goldmember
4,011 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 28, 2008 21:22 |  #1

I got the opportunity to shoot this event at my school, and had a lot of fun doing it. It was my first paid shoot. Tricky church-like lighting, but I managed to deal with it nicely. The 430EX is a lot more powerful than I thought.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …ry%20Mystery/IM​G_0069.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …ry%20Mystery/IM​G_0148.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …ry%20Mystery/IM​G_0150.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …ry%20Mystery/IM​G_0153.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …ry%20Mystery/IM​G_0218.jpg (external link)

Full album can be viewed here

http://smg.photobucket​.com …rdery%20Mystery​/?start=40 (external link)

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

sponsored links
jayak
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2008 21:26 |  #2

I love the idea VERY COOL

I LOVE the last one

Canon EOS 40D/ BG-E2 Vertical Battery Grip/ EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro/ EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM/ SanDisk eXtreme III 2.0 GB/ Velbon Neo Pod 6/ Speedlite 580EX II/ ABR800/ Vagabond II/ interfit stellar 300 (x2), interfit stellar 150 (x2), interfit infra red transmitter/etc.. SOLD ALL ITEMS .....

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2008 21:49 |  #3

When I read the title the first thing that came to mind was a B&W pic of an office and a PI smoking :) but this is cool too.

seanbaker
227 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 28, 2008 22:10 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #4

Gary,

You more than earned the money for your first paid shoot. I'd love to see more, but alas the gallery is PW protected :p ;). In any case, particularly given the lighting situation I love what you've done. Only two real suggestions for you. First, and I expect that this is really just an artifact of the few pics you've posted here, but don't hesitate to move the subjects out of the center of the composition. Second, and again perhaps more relevant (expecting that the other images have more varied composition) I'd say that you should try processing some of these more in an era-oriented theme - i.e. -

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

as a concept. Don't get me wrong, your processing is spot on as far as I'm concerned - I just think you could take it a step further artistically with a bit more time in PP.

Keep posting as this was excellent.

Sean

Sean Baker

gary88
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,011 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 28, 2008 22:20 as a reply to  @ seanbaker's post |  #5

Thanks all! I'm usually an avid follower of the rule of thirds, but I couldn't use it too much with the number of group/portrait shots I took. And all my compositions were somewhat limited by the 50mm f/1.4 I used. I really like what you did there Sean. I just stuck to basic PP though because I ended up sending 79 images. I do plan on experimenting later with sepia/B&W on some of them though.

Changed the settings on the album, it should be public now.

More good news, the girl who organized this and hired me now wants prints :)

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

seanbaker
227 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 28, 2008 22:31 as a reply to  @ gary88's post |  #6

Gary,

Congrats again (print order in the works). Album shots look good too, but I see your point about the group shots. Hell, even if it would have worked compositionally to put the group out of the center of the frame they'd have probably complained about it later ;).

Be sure to post the next even they hire you for.

Sean

Sean Baker

sponsored links

1,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
1920s Mock Murder Mystery
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.