Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 28 Jan 2008 (Monday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ducati 999 & 996

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 28, 2008 20:36 |  #16

I absolutely love bikes - used to own a few and race a bit (back a few years). Seen this post and even though I don't post here, I hope you don't mind if I chime in.

The 996 is the sexiest bike made - it oozes emotion just sitting there.

Your right about the front wheel in shots 1, 2 & 6 - no one usually leaves their wheel pointed straight ahead on the stand because the bike is not as stable, its turned to the left - you also need to turn it all the way to the left to lock the bars. So for me, it kind of looks "off". Turning the front wheel will give everyone a much nicer look at those big front calipers.

Shot 3 is the best of the bunch. The contrasting colors really make the bike pop - very nice shot and great angle. You could crop out the bricks and probably PS out the hot spots on the fairing and blue totes used as the background and frame it - I've seen way worst shots in publication.

I think shot #4 is good as well. I'd crop the bricks out (making it long and thin), add some blur and slight darkening to the foreground and make the bikes colors really come out because its not competing with anything. If your into PS at all, you could also set the blending mode to soft light and adjust the opacity to really make it come out.

Overall your lighting is great - can't wait to see more.

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

sponsored links
tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 28, 2008 20:42 |  #17

maybe I'm being over critical...in shots #1 and #2 the molding from the car in the background looks like it coming off from the bike. I know it's from the car door, but the perspective makes it look like it's attached to the left side of the bike.

#3 is great!

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

rjcanon
250 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 28, 2008 23:50 |  #18

sf1 wrote in post #4803905 (external link)
Shot 3 is the best of the bunch. The contrasting colors really make the bike pop - very nice shot and great angle. You could crop out the bricks and probably PS out the hot spots on the fairing and blue totes used as the background and frame it - I've seen way worst shots in publication.

I think shot #4 is good as well. I'd crop the bricks out (making it long and thin), add some blur and slight darkening to the foreground and make the bikes colors really come out because its not competing with anything. If your into PS at all, you could also set the blending mode to soft light and adjust the opacity to really make it come out.

I agree whole-heartedly... i think the shots are quite nice.. i would have cropped to the top of the blue as mentioned in an earlier post but otherwise i think the shot is great. Are you using any sort of diffusion? I think shot 3 would have benefited from slightly softer light (hotspots).

I love the concept of four, try cropping it to more of a vertical pano as mentioned above i think it will pop a ton more!

1DS MKIII, 1D MKIII, EOS R, 1D Classic, EOS 3, EOS 1V, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 17-40 4L, 55mm 1.2, 100 2.8 macro L, 300 2.8L, Fuji X100s, Alien Bees + Pocket Wizards,
Lots of Mamiya 645 stuff...

Deanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 29, 2008 01:29 |  #19

Jules.r wrote in post #4803150 (external link)
I'm looking forward to experimenting with lighting myself very soon, I have two 580's. one regular and one'II'. Don't have a clue how to use them properly so it's going to be a case of 'suck it and see'!

Do you use umbrellas?

Thanks! I haven't yet used any umbrella's although I think I should of used them on the bikes to cut out on the flash hot spots. Lighting's quite simple when you figure out what works and what doesn't, it's all just a case of triall and error.

What I try and do is look at photo's where flashes have been used and try to figure out where they were, the power settings compared to ambient light, if any diffusers were used etc etc. Unfortunately because of 'Strobist' it's becoming quite rare now to find a pic without all this info written in the write-up.

CombatCamera13 wrote in post #4802964 (external link)
I agree about the location. I don't think the photos look bad. Just need to put that bike in a better spot.

My sentiments exactly.

BenJammin wrote in post #4803448 (external link)
Don't be so hard on yourself for one thing. I like #3 because of the contrasting colors, but i think you should cut the photo off at the top of the blue things b/c the window is distracting. 4 is neat too. My eyes do wonder a lot on the first couple b/c of the cars in the background. Not bad none the less.

Thanks! I might give this a little crop tonight and see how it comes out, I had burnt the wall a tad in PS but I guess it's always going to visible no matter how dark it is.

PhotosGuy wrote in post #4803565 (external link)
They look pretty good to me! What do you expect from a bike sitting still? If you want emotion on two wheels, a car up on 2 would do it for me? :D

Hahaha! :lol::lol:

sf1 wrote in post #4803905 (external link)
I absolutely love bikes - used to own a few and race a bit (back a few years). Seen this post and even though I don't post here, I hope you don't mind if I chime in.

The 996 is the sexiest bike made - it oozes emotion just sitting there.

Your right about the front wheel in shots 1, 2 & 6 - no one usually leaves their wheel pointed straight ahead on the stand because the bike is not as stable, its turned to the left - you also need to turn it all the way to the left to lock the bars. So for me, it kind of looks "off". Turning the front wheel will give everyone a much nicer look at those big front calipers.

I don't mind at all! All points taken on-board and stored in the vast empty space between my ears for future reference. I'm definitely going to have to shoot these bikes again. We couldn't go too far from the guy's home as the roads were wet and salty in the shade, the bikes normally stay tucvked up in the garage until March.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I love this forum for C&C :cool:

www.deanphoto.co.uk (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ryansauce
548 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 29, 2008 03:03 |  #20

whats your lighting set up man? they look fine to me =)

Deanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 29, 2008 03:50 |  #21

ryansauce wrote in post #4805955 (external link)
whats your lighting set up man? they look fine to me =)

2x Vivitar 285's remotely fired by pocket wizards. No umbrella's or diffuser's used.

Flickr (external link)

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 29, 2008 04:20 |  #22

Nice shots man. I have always wanted a ducati. Had the money for one at a point in time but my parents wouldnt let me buy one, as "motorcycles are too dangerous". Which i agree with. Still though, woulda been rad to have one. :)

I am Henry. NOT Hank. And certainly not a length of rope tied in a knot. ;)
My family calls me Hen, but you can call me Chicken. See you out there!
|Deviant Art (external link)
|Facebook (external link)|Gear List

Travisj
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 29, 2008 06:10 as a reply to  @ AlphaChicken's post |  #23

I think you have a good start and you’re right their not the easiest thing to shoot but they can be fun. Here’s my take and please take it with a grain of salt, it’s only my take on it.

I think in 1,2 & 6 the bikes needed to be moved further away from the cars and a more shallow DOF would have helped them stand out a tad bit more.

#2 is just bad positioning, the bike gets lost in the BG and there isn’t any definition on the right hand side of the bike.

3 is probably the best of the series, minus the hot spot, IMO

#4, I agree with you

I’m not a fan of shots like #5 but maybe if you would have moved it over more to the right and used only the brick as the BG it might have turned out a little better.

I hope to see more of these, I love Duc’s.

If you are going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!

BIGTUFFGUY
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 29, 2008 08:38 |  #24

excellent lighting. I think you did a great job.

Gear List + Feedback

Over ­ Actor
350 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 29, 2008 11:35 |  #25

3, 5, and 7 are perfectly executed in my eyes, Great photos and the comp is great.

the other I think woul dlook good but if you notice in like #1 and 2. there is a bar that looks like it is growing out of the side of the bike attached to the car in the back ground.

i think if you cloned them out they would all be nice.

Rob

My Picture machines.. Canon 20d, ef 24-85mm, "Nifty Fifty" Olympus E-500, e-500, zuiko 14-45, 14-55( Kick Butt), 50-200.

Fireblade2K7
89 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 29, 2008 11:44 |  #26

Excellent photos and excellent choice of machine also if I may say so!

Stu

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Jules.r
283 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 29, 2008 13:39 |  #27

Deanphoto wrote in post #4805669 (external link)
Thanks! I haven't yet used any umbrella's although I think I should of used them on the bikes to cut out on the flash hot spots. Lighting's quite simple when you figure out what works and what doesn't, it's all just a case of triall and error.

What I try and do is look at photo's where flashes have been used and try to figure out where they were, the power settings compared to ambient light, if any diffusers were used etc etc. Unfortunately because of 'Strobist' it's becoming quite rare now to find a pic without all this info written in the write-up.

This is an excellent thread, I'm really looking forward to playing around with my 2 580's, when I do it's all going to be cars!

Thats good advice about trying to work out where flashes are and how they are used in an image, I have been doing that, and must say i find it quite tricky, I'll keep at it!

May I ask a couple of questions please?, they could well be a bit daft!

How can you get rid of (or reduce) Flash 'Hot Spots', is it a case of where you position/aim your equipment, or maybe a case of turning the power of the flashes down?

Would 'Sto-Fens' help reduce Hot Spots?

Finally, what are the benefits of using a Sekonic meter? Is it worth me getting one?

Thanks!

www.julianhunt.net (external link)

Deanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 30, 2008 06:56 |  #28

Jules.r wrote in post #4809042 (external link)
May I ask a couple of questions please?, they could well be a bit daft!

How can you get rid of (or reduce) Flash 'Hot Spots', is it a case of where you position/aim your equipment, or maybe a case of turning the power of the flashes down?

Would 'Sto-Fens' help reduce Hot Spots?

Finally, what are the benefits of using a Sekonic meter? Is it worth me getting one?

Thanks!

Absolutely -

Try not to fire the flashes straight onto a flat surface, try shooting the flash along the panels, this will help reduce the hot spots. Sto-fens probably would help reduce the hot spots, I have yet to use any though as I prefer the harsher light in urban settings.

I've never used a light meter and I think that with today's DSLR's it's kind of pointless, shoot a photo and look at the histogram, if it's too hot turn the flashes down/move them away!

Flickr (external link)

TomTomTuning
Goldmember
1,983 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 30, 2008 07:06 |  #29

Thats bad A$$, i got a shot of a 848 at the car show here the other day

http://www.hbgtuned.co​m/liveshow/Ducati.jpg (external link)

5D Mark III, 40D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 50L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Gear List & Feedback Links
Flickr (external link) l 500px (external link) l Google+ (external link)

Jules.r
283 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 30, 2008 18:57 |  #30

Deanphoto wrote in post #4814643 (external link)
Absolutely -

Try not to fire the flashes straight onto a flat surface, try shooting the flash along the panels, this will help reduce the hot spots. Sto-fens probably would help reduce the hot spots, I have yet to use any though as I prefer the harsher light in urban settings.

I've never used a light meter and I think that with today's DSLR's it's kind of pointless, shoot a photo and look at the histogram, if it's too hot turn the flashes down/move them away!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I found your reply really helpful and now I can't wait to get out there and start experimenting!

www.julianhunt.net (external link)

sponsored links

3,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ducati 999 & 996
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.