Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Dec 2007 (Friday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

17-55 cost to clean the lens?

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2007 15:03 |  #1

Hello. I was wondering how many of you sent your 17-55 lens to canon for a cleaning? I bought mine in may so it is still under the one year warranty. I have never encountered any problems with my equipment so I do not know what the warranty is good for. I would clean it my self but prefer not to just because I dont want the unthinkable to happen. What did Canon charge you guys to clean it? Thanks.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 28, 2007 15:24 |  #2

Why do you think it is dirty? Are you pictures showing something? If not, leave well alone.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

4g63photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2007 15:33 |  #3

I was referring to the dust inside the lens. I figured if the cleaning would be something covered by the warranty, I would send it out before it expires. The dust and junk do not show up in any of the pictures.
I think since I am not taking classes right now I am just thinking about pictures instead of being outside and shooting them :)

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

tracer ­ bullet
282 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2007 16:19 |  #4

4g63photo wrote in post #4584772 (external link)
The dust and junk do not show up in any of the pictures.

I wouldn't touch it then. Dust in the film plane (or digital sensor) is of course bad, and you do definitely see it. But on the lens, especially the further it is from the sensor and also the larger the opening of the lens itself, the less of an issue it is. It's so far away from where anythign focuses that you'll never see it.

You could bother with the down-time and cost to clean it, but: 1) as you stated there is no effect on your shots, and 2) It'll just get dusty again anyhow.

Honestly, forget about it. Mine's dusty too, and it doesn't hurt a thing.

http:// …Gear List

itsmedeka
73 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 28, 2007 16:46 as a reply to  @ tracer bullet's post |  #5

i was quoted 80 for calibration and cleaning from canon irvine.

LightRules
Return of the Jedi
9,911 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 28, 2007 16:48 |  #6

Well if you've got the huevos to do it, it's free here http://www.pbase.com/r​cicala/1755_is_surgery (external link) :)

4g63photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2007 22:46 |  #7

Thanks everyone. I have the huevos for most stuff but I prefer not to get kick in the huevos for scratching the lens.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

maestrokev
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 30, 2008 16:32 |  #8

I'm wary of Canon doing lens cleaning. I had a dust particle once that didn't affect image quality but annoyed me since the lens was still under 1yr old. All they did was end up moving the dust particle to the other side.

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2008 16:14 as a reply to  @ maestrokev's post |  #9

Here's my very recent experience.

I bought my lens 1/23/07. First day of use, and I already got 3 specks of dust. By end of first year, it's getting close to snow-cone appearance.

I sent mine with copy of receipt and cover letter from Houston to Irvine by FedEx, and they received it 1/22/08. On morning of 1/23/08, I got a quote by email, saying it'll be $85 + return shipping = ~$100.

I called their 1-800 number right away (which is not Irvine, I believe), and the guy says no problem, just fax the original receipt again to a Norfolk/Virignia Beach number. I did, and received an updated fax that says charge will be $0.

I got it back by FedEx two days ago, 1/29, with everything I sent out to them, sans the dust. Will see if they changed the seal or not.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

photobitz
PlatinumMeasure​baiter
6,499 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 31, 2008 17:50 |  #10

LightRules wrote in post #4585210 (external link)
Well if you've got the huevos to do it, it's free here http://www.pbase.com/r​cicala/1755_is_surgery (external link) :)

:confused:

I'd be very careful doing that. He doesn't make any comment about marking the front element position which is a bit of a worry. Generally the fine tuning of the front element in most EF lenses is done by loosening screws then rotating the element on it's wedge-shaped supports and re-tightening the screws. If you don't put it back in exactly the same spot, your focus will be out of whack.

Dan

My gear | Me on Flickr (external link)

gotmikey
28 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 06, 2008 18:04 |  #11

rkkwan wrote in post #4824862 (external link)
Here's my very recent experience.

I bought my lens 1/23/07. First day of use, and I already got 3 specks of dust. By end of first year, it's getting close to snow-cone appearance.

I sent mine with copy of receipt and cover letter from Houston to Irvine by FedEx, and they received it 1/22/08. On morning of 1/23/08, I got a quote by email, saying it'll be $85 + return shipping = ~$100.

I called their 1-800 number right away (which is not Irvine, I believe), and the guy says no problem, just fax the original receipt again to a Norfolk/Virignia Beach number. I did, and received an updated fax that says charge will be $0.

I got it back by FedEx two days ago, 1/29, with everything I sent out to them, sans the dust. Will see if they changed the seal or not.

You're lucky. I just got off the phone with Canon Irvine and the lady wouldn't budge. Tried to charge me $93 and it's still under warranty. They said it wasn't a manufacturers defect. That is such crap. You'd think Canon engineering would take steps to mitigate this issue in the design phase. Somewhere down the line they just said "screw it". It's funny that they make such amazing L lenses and then short us with this lens. Yes, it may not affect the picture yada, yada, but who wants to see a pile of snow on the front element? Not me.

Rant off.

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 07, 2008 20:06 |  #12

Maybe if I'm bored later I'll see if I can get that spot off the front element of my Tokina.

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

sponsored links

2,235 views & 0 likes for this thread
17-55 cost to clean the lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.