Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm having problem with color in my new laptop

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 31, 2008 13:51 |  #31

psxindo wrote in post #4819659 (external link)
I have attach the screen shot....
Top left is LR
Top Right is firefox2
bottom left is windows
bottom right is safari

Not on my desktop at the moment, so can't comment on colors, but they look fairly close, if not identical.

Are you sure there *is* a difference, and you are not just seeing it?
Happenedhere as well...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 31, 2008 13:58 |  #32

well, in both my laptop and desktop, I can see a difference between the 4 pictures.

in my laptop LR and CS3 is identical.
when I put that comparison picture in CS3, all 4 colors are identical.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 31, 2008 16:10 |  #33

ok, another update...
so far LR and CS3 and DPP have similar colors
windows folder preview, firefox2, safari, sharpcast have similar colors (muted and dull)

I just use Windows photo gallery, this actually is similar to LR/CS3/DPP

So now I'm just going to live with it and use windows photo gallery to view it outside of LR

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Damo77
Goldmember
4,637 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 31, 2008 16:16 |  #34

Honestly, I think you're worrying about nothing. The difference between colour-managed applications (PS and LR) and non-colour-managed applications (browsers etc) is well documented. Yes, it gives us all the sh*ts, but we live with it.

All that matters is this: Photoshop and Lightroom are correct, as long as your monitor is correctly calibrated. Forget about the others. Just focus on getting prints that match PS and LR.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 31, 2008 16:19 |  #35

psxindo wrote in post #4824843 (external link)
ok, another update...
so far LR and CS3 and DPP have similar colors
windows folder preview, firefox2, safari, sharpcast have similar colors (muted and dull)

I just use Windows photo gallery, this actually is similar to LR/CS3/DPP

So now I'm just going to live with it and use windows photo gallery to view it outside of LR

Ahhh... so you weren't using gallery, but were using the large tiles directly in Windows Explorer? That makes perfect sense then:
LR, CS3, DPP, Safari, Windows Live Photo gallery = color managed
Firefox, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, many other image viewers = NOT color managed

If this is the case, the files you are viewing must be something OTHER than srgb... (AdobeRGB, ProPhoto). If you still think you were outputting sRGB, post one and someone will let you know.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,637 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 31, 2008 16:25 |  #36

David, even an sRGB file probably won't show correctly in a non-CM application. The data is just shown "as is" through the monitor, with no regard for the embedded profile or the monitor profile.

If the monitor manufacturer has built the monitor to roughly sRGB specs, it should show sRGB pics reasonably well, I guess.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 31, 2008 16:53 |  #37

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #4824895 (external link)
Ahhh... so you weren't using gallery, but were using the large tiles directly in Windows Explorer? That makes perfect sense then:
LR, CS3, DPP, Safari, Windows Live Photo gallery = color managed
Firefox, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, many other image viewers = NOT color managed

If this is the case, the files you are viewing must be something OTHER than srgb... (AdobeRGB, ProPhoto). If you still think you were outputting sRGB, post one and someone will let you know.

Yeah I was using the windows preview pane, not just the large tiles.

I think I figured it out. I read somewhere that some programs that upload pictures to their site would change the color/profile.
I might be using that in "www.sharpcast.com"
Because when I open a picture from potn in safari and firefox2, it does show that the safari is more vibrant.

The reason for the OP is that when I see the picture on the web from different PCs (all desktop, 3 different pc, all XP, 2 LCD 1 CRT), the picture came out right. Only in my laptop that is different, so I'm just wondering would it be because of Vista new color management system.

I've been reading. and basically this is problems of laptop/notebook. So I just have to live with it...

thanks for all the help...

Stime187
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 17, 2008 18:07 |  #38

(wrong thread)

Galleries, Workshops, etc - LightOfTheWild.com (external link) | Become a Fan -- Facebook.com/LightOfTh​eWild (external link) | On Twitter -- @LightOfTheWild (external link)

Henrylw
21 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 27, 2008 01:06 |  #39

I have exactly the same problem. After calibration (I used Eye-One display 2) sRGB pictures in my Desktop computer look consistent (the same) in all applications (Web browsers, FastStone picture viewer, Windows Photo Gallery, Photoshop CS3 and LR), but the pictures in my laptop (Dell Latitude D830), look normal and very close to my desktop pc when viewed in Photoshop, LR, Windows Photo Gallery (Both in Vista, and Windows Photo Gallery support color management, I believe), but when view the same pictures in web browsers, FastStone, they all look dull, cold, and it seems calibration did nothing to these applications.

I just wonder, why this only happens to laptop/notebook? There must be a solution somewhere.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 27, 2008 13:22 |  #40

Probably because you are seeing the difference between sRGB and your displays profile if you are using a non color managed application. That difference will be bigger on the laptop.

On a side note: If they look "dull" (less saturated) and they are sRGB, that would suggest that your laptop monitor has a smaller gamut then sRGB. Sounds reasonable.

Have a read in the link from my sig ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Henrylw
21 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 27, 2008 13:59 |  #41

René Damkot wrote in post #5414000 (external link)
Probably because you are seeing the difference between sRGB and your displays profile if you are using a non color managed application. That difference will be bigger on the laptop.

On a side note: If they look "dull" (less saturated) and they are sRGB, that would suggest that your laptop monitor has a smaller gamut then sRGB. Sounds reasonable.

Have a read in the link from my sig ;)

Thank you René, but the odd thing is, when I first finished calibration, the color was correct (I mean there was no difference between different applications, and colors on laptop looked exactly the same as on my desktop. After I restarted laptop, colors on laptop started to look dull/less saturated (only in web, faststone image viewer, they still look good in Photoshop, LR etc.)

If the laptop monitor has a smaller gamut than sRGB, it wouldn't show correct color in Photoshop/LR/Windows Photo Gallery, but it does.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 27, 2008 14:10 |  #42

There should be a difference between a color managed and a non-colormanaged application.

The laptop has a smaller gamut then sRGB, trust me on that one ;)
Color management works...

If there is a difference between calibration and after a restart, something else might be going on though. What OS?
I presume you disabled anything that might interfere with calibration (Adobe Gamma for instance, or some video card software).

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Henrylw
21 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 29, 2008 12:01 |  #43

René Damkot wrote in post #5414257 (external link)
There should be a difference between a color managed and a non-colormanaged application.

The laptop has a smaller gamut then sRGB, trust me on that one ;)
Color management works...

If there is a difference between calibration and after a restart, something else might be going on though. What OS?
I presume you disabled anything that might interfere with calibration (Adobe Gamma for instance, or some video card software).

Thank you René.

I just reverted my laptop back to a date prior to calibration (using a coloned disk image file). Now I see there is no color difference between Photoshop and web browser. (And the color is dull compared to the same image in my desktop PC)

Tonight, I'll try to reinstall Eye-One Match 3 and conduct a fresh new color calibration.

The OS is Vista Business X32. I didn't disable anything when I did previous calibrations. Do you think I should do it?

Henry

Edit: I just installed Eye-One on my laptop and did another calibration. Same result. It seems that on my laptop, only those applications with color management can see and accept the ICC file while all other applications (web browsers, FastStone image viewer etc.) just ignore the calibration result, but on my desktop, colors are consistent through all applications, no difference between Photoshop and web browsers.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 01, 2008 04:43 |  #44

Henrylw wrote in post #5427492 (external link)
Edit: I just installed Eye-One on my laptop and did another calibration. Same result. It seems that on my laptop, only those applications with color management can see and accept the ICC file while all other applications (web browsers, FastStone image viewer etc.) just ignore the calibration result, but on my desktop, colors are consistent through all applications, no difference between Photoshop and web browsers.

Came across this thread while searching for another... Bit late in replying ;)

Bit late in answering, but what's happening is this I think:
Your laptop screen has a gamut way smaller then sRGB. Your desktop has a better screen.
A non CM application shows you the difference between your screen and sRGB.
A non CM application will look more "off" on my laptop then on my desktop for instance. On my desktop, there is a difference, but it's fairly small.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

5,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm having problem with color in my new laptop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.