Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 14 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 12:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New thoughts about shooting wildlife for newbies..

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 14, 2008 12:48 |  #1

I'm sure all of you more experienced shooters new this, but I didn't realize how much a sharp distance subject can be saved/cropped in Photoshop.

I use a 70-300 IS lens and I'm really happy with it.

Of course it's not as fast for moving animals. Zooming all the way in @300 is nice for filling the frame, but then I'm shooting at a high f stop with a slower shutter speed creating blur. IS is great for camera shake but not for subject movement.

I was able to crop and sharpen images better when I shot at 200mm then Photoshop with fantastic results because I started with a sharper image due to faster shutter speed and lack of subject motion.

From now on I'm going to back off on my shots a little to keep the shutter speed high enough to prevent blur and crop in Photoshop later.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 14, 2008 15:18 |  #2

Yes, higher shutter speeds will stop more action, stop you from shaking the lens (even with IS helping.) Try running up the ISO speeds as well. Unless your lens is soft at 300, it would be better to shoot at the longest mm you have than to use 200 and crop.

GEAR LIST

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 14, 2008 15:23 |  #3

Why not get you a good tripod and use the full 300 mm.

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 14, 2008 17:06 |  #4

The spectrum of wildlife is so varied as to make the term nearly meaningless as a category. Vast difference depending on the types and sizes of animals involved, their locations (Safari? urban/backyard? etc) and their familiarity with and experience with humans - those in a park may allow you vastly closer than those in a hunting zone. If you get a bit more specific you'll get a lot better advice.

Don't be afraid to go to higher ISO's. The 300mm at 5.6 isn't all that slow and does have IS - I'd think you could handhold at 300mm with IS easily at 1/125 and maybe at 1/60. Slower than 1/60 your subjects are likely moving anyway. For birds many use a flash with a flash extender if it's darker.

Hate to break it to you but for really wild wildlife or birds most would consider 300mm pretty short and use substantially longer lenses often with extenders as well. It doesn't strike me as a cheap segment of photography!

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 14, 2008 17:45 |  #5

Another vote for high ISO's. This will allow you to keep your apeture smaller which will allow the 70-300 to really shine at 300mm. This lens is capable of incredible photos throughout its range.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

Just ­ Be
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 14, 2008 19:05 as a reply to  @ Familiaphoto's post |  #6

Thanks everyone. I'll try the higher ISO's.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

sponsored links

3,423 views & 1 like for this thread
New thoughts about shooting wildlife for newbies..
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.