Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Classic Lovers !!!

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 15, 2008 18:28 |  #31

if those op-amps weren't so damn close to the ccd the 1D would never leave my hands! bummer :(

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

sponsored links
bubbawillums
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 16, 2008 14:57 |  #32

So i just got home after driving 200 miles to pick up my used 1D classic and all i can say is WOW!!!
The camera is amazing.. i have a 5D but i think this camera is so much more fun!! Its sounds awsome when firing off on burst mode!!!!

Im going duck hunting in the moring and will post some pics!

My camera stuff

http://www.dandesborou​gh.co.uk (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 16, 2008 15:01 |  #33

Ugh...I hate you guys. I want one so badly now! The price and smaller RAW files, coupled with the 1D build and features, make this the perfect camera for a lot of the stuff I do...ideal backup to my 5D.

You guys are all EVIL!

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

mrerico
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 16, 2008 16:11 |  #34

ebann wrote in post #4926046 (external link)
if those op-amps weren't so damn close to the ccd the 1D would never leave my hands! bummer :(

what are op-amps?

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 16, 2008 16:14 |  #35

1D Classic w/ 24-70L lens RAW file

Anybody have a random one (or two) with color in it, ISO 200, that I can mess with?

Just personal PP'ing practice basically.

thanks,
Dan

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 16, 2008 16:29 |  #36

azneric3 wrote in post #4930763 (external link)
what are op-amps?

This is what Chuck Westfall had to say about the 1D and long exposure shots, in an email he recently sent to me. "Canon Inc.'s response has not been publicly posted, but the bottom line is that the issue cannot be resolved via firmware. It is a by-product of the CCD design. Here is a translation of Canon Inc.'s statement: The CCD used in the EOS-1D incorporates a simultaneous-retrieval multi-line system in order to achieve approximately eight frames per second in continuous shooting mode. Therefore, two exits are designed in the CCD, and also two amplifiers with two different circuits are applied to the inside. The electric charge, which is generated with the photodiode (Photo detector) in the CCD, is transferred vertically and horizontally in a bucket brigade way, and composes an external output of picture signal by converting it into voltage with the amplifier near the exit.
The generated electric charge includes the noise components of both the signal data, which is proportional to the incident light, and the dark current, which is produced by the photodiode itself. It is known that the longer the exposure is, and the higher the environmental temperature gets, the larger the noise component with the dark current becomes.

The magenta-colored noise, which appears on both upper corners of the frame in images taken at slow shutter speeds, is due to the fact that heat caused by the amplifiers, which are positioned close to the sections of the CCD where the picture signal is read out, is higher than in other parts of the CCD. As result, the dark current, which occurs at the photodiode near the amplifier, is also increased. This phenomenon can be seen in other digital cameras as well, however, in case of slow shutter speed photography, we recommend you not to use the camera continuously, but turn it on just before taking pictures."

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

bubbawillums
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 16, 2008 16:34 |  #37

1st shot taken with the 1D on the way home from picking it up... i could not resist having a go!!

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2172/2270060312_94d6a1916e_b.jpg

My camera stuff

http://www.dandesborou​gh.co.uk (external link)

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 16, 2008 16:34 |  #38

emtp563 wrote in post #4913281 (external link)
I love mine for many reasons.

1.) the build
2.) the ergonomics
3.) the 1/16,000 shutter speed AND 8.5fps drive speed
5.) 1/500th sync speed
6.) the weatherproofing
7.) the weight (it doesn't feel like a cheap plastic toy)
8.) the resulting pictures are VERY sharp do to the lax AA filter
9.) the small file size of the 4MP images- easier and faster to work with
10.) the AF
11.) the accuracy of the metering

Where would you use 1/16,000 of a second shutter speed ?

My website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2008 16:38 |  #39

sports

Spazzmodicus
993 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2008 16:46 |  #40

ebann wrote in post #4930861 (external link)
This is what Chuck Westfall had to say about the 1D and long exposure shots........

I wonder if the op-amps are sized and positioned as such that small heat sinks could be glued to them? "Artic Silver Thermal Compound" is good to 150 degrees C and I know them little suckers can't be getting that hot.

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 16, 2008 16:50 |  #41

pro wrote in post #4930909 (external link)
sports

How often can you get to that speed ?

Usually I think we're lucky to get 1/1000

500px (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 16, 2008 16:54 |  #42

Davidoff wrote in post #4930890 (external link)
Where would you use 1/16,000 of a second shutter speed ?

Bright sunlight, you're shooting a brightly lit, perhaps even reflective object, and you want to shoot wide open with a low depth of field for creative effect?

I've hit 1/4000 of a second on my old 400D before, and wanted faster because it was still too damn bright.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 16, 2008 16:57 |  #43

At iso 100 ?? What apperture were you using ?

500px (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 16, 2008 17:38 |  #44

Between f/4 and f/11, ISO 100. Any higher than that and you start to see diffraction effects on a cropped body.

I was shooting an airshow, with the sun in front of me and a little to the right. Very, very bright, pretty much shooting into the sun, and the planes reflected a lot of light on their metal bodies too. Not every shot, most were around 1/1000, 1/500 if I recall, but sometimes you just get a really, really bright subject and need that shutter speed.

But my original point still stands - if you want to shoot wide open for creative control of depth of field, sometimes you need ridiculously high shutter speeds.

Shooting at f/1.8 or f/1.4 for example, in bright daylight, if you want a normal, sunny 16 exposure at ISO 100, you need a shutter speed of 1/12800s

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 16, 2008 17:52 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #45

I was just asking because I only hit 1/8000 on my D70s when using f/1.8 or f/2 in very bright sunlight at iso 200 ( because it's the lowest possible value ), so it is very very rare and I was thinking if 1/16000 was that frequent, at iso 100. Particularly with longer lens, no one shoots 300mm at f/2.

500px (external link)

sponsored links

1,257,441 views & 35 likes for this thread
-=1D Classic Lovers !!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.