Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 01:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM: which teleconverter?

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2008 01:09 |  #1

I plan to purchase a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM (non IS) is the very near future, to use with my Rebel XT. Which teleconverter's brand or model, other than Canon's, would you recommend? I am looking for camera's AF function with the lens and converter, of course.

The more I read about teleconverter compatibility, the more confused I become. That's why I have decided to ask. I sincerely appreciate your help on this matter.

7D, 5DII

sponsored links
Roy ­ P
183 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 20, 2008 02:16 |  #2

I use Sigma's x2 converter with my 200 and have not been disappointed.

edit: autofocus is slightly slower but don't normally notice. If I don't want to loose two stops I use my Canon 1.4.

another edit: Forgot to say I really love my 200 nice and easy to manual focus when required.

Roy
Gear List

samnz
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 20, 2008 02:20 |  #3

Sigma (external link)

Brilliant lens if you get it. Good luck

SAM
Gear

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 20, 2008 07:09 |  #4

Myself, I'd use my Tamron SP 1.4x. But, the Canon 1.4x II would be a good choice as well.

GEAR LIST

Jeff2909
473 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 20, 2008 09:15 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #5

I use the kenko pro 1.4, with good results

Jeff
Equipment Canon 50DGrip:20DGrip: 300D: Tamron AF 11-18: 28-75 2.8/EFS 17-85mm IS: EF 35mm 2.0: EF 50mm 1.8II: EF 135mm 2.8 sf: EF 200mm 2.8L II /Sigma DG 150-500mm HSM: 105mm 2.8 DG Macro/Kenko PRO 300 1.4 TC:Kenko Tubes

Lester ­ Wareham
28,060 posts
Gallery: 3163 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 20, 2008 13:18 |  #6

Rafromak wrote in post #4954809 (external link)
I plan to purchase a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM (non IS) is the very near future, to use with my Rebel XT. Which teleconverter's brand or model, other than Canon's, would you recommend? I am looking for camera's AF function with the lens and converter, of course.

The more I read about teleconverter compatibility, the more confused I become. That's why I have decided to ask. I sincerely appreciate your help on this matter.

Both a 1.4X and 2X will permit AF on a non-pro body so you could go for the Canon ones. I use the EF 1.4X II and EF 2X II with both this lens and the 300 f4 IS with great results. The 300 f4 IS + 2X is of course manual focus only on a non-pro body.

AF will always slow down when a TC is used.

I understand the best of the 3rd party TC are very similar in performance to the Canon ones but tend to prefer to get Canon's equipment. The only time I didn't the quality was not good enough and I had to replace the items with Canon ones.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 20, 2008 13:54 |  #7

Get the Kenko pro 300 1.4x, it's great, cheaper, and won't make your set-up look like an oreo!! (since it's black and the canons are white) Mine doesn't slow AF down or mess with the wonderful IQ of the 200. I borrowed a 2x once and found it fun, not great, but usable. I may consider buying it, but I have my heart set on the 400, but my body is suddenly betraying me and I can't lift much weight-wise so I may just go with the 2x instead.

photos (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205171

Rafromak
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2008 20:29 |  #8

Thanks for the replies, all of you have been most helpful.

So far I am leaning toward the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x. What exactly didn't you like about the Kenko's 2x, gardengirl13?

7D, 5DII

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 20, 2008 20:32 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Do you have some shots with your 300L F4 IS on a 2x converter? I need more reach than my 300L + 1.4x. I can't afford either the 300L 2.8 or 400L 2.8. Most people think that 2x converter on any non F2.8 telephoto lens you will lose out a lot of IQ.

Lester Wareham wrote in post #4957837 (external link)
Both a 1.4X and 2X will permit AF on a non-pro body so you could go for the Canon ones. I use the EF 1.4X II and EF 2X II with both this lens and the 300 f4 IS with great results. The 300 f4 IS + 2X is of course manual focus only on a non-pro body.

AF will always slow down when a TC is used.

I understand the best of the 3rd party TC are very similar in performance to the Canon ones but tend to prefer to get Canon's equipment. The only time I didn't the quality was not good enough and I had to replace the items with Canon ones.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Feb 20, 2008 22:55 |  #10

The 300 f4 IS + 2X is of course manual focus only on a non-pro body
(Lester Wareham)
Not always the case. I have full autofocus with a Tamron and some good results (with a XT body). Don't have the time wright now, but tonight I'll dig up a picture to show.
Greetings,
Alain,

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 20, 2008 22:59 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Interesting but would the autofocus still accurate at F8 by forcing it? Since 2x converter a bit extreme. Won't a Canon one offer better image quality over the 3rd party ones when comes to 2x converter? Thanks.

Lenty007 wrote in post #4961644 (external link)
The 300 f4 IS + 2X is of course manual focus only on a non-pro body
(Lester Wareham)
Not always the case. I have full autofocus with a Tamron and some good results (with a XT body). Don't have the time wright now, but tonight I'll dig up a picture to show.
Greetings,
Alain,

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
28,060 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 21, 2008 06:50 |  #12

TooManyShots wrote in post #4960741 (external link)
Do you have some shots with your 300L F4 IS on a 2x converter? I need more reach than my 300L + 1.4x. I can't afford either the 300L 2.8 or 400L 2.8. Most people think that 2x converter on any non F2.8 telephoto lens you will lose out a lot of IQ.

Yes I posted two that got into the POTN Book Vol 1 recently on a similer topic. I see if I can find them again. In addition you will find lots of technical type test results for these lenses and TCs on my website if that interests you.

Handheld 1/1000 f8 ISO 800 20D MF

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

100% crop minimal sharpening
IMAGE: http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/Crops/Insects%20Dragonfly%20109.jpg

Handheld, very bad light! 1/320 f8 ISO 3200 20D MF
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
28,060 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 21, 2008 06:51 |  #13

TooManyShots wrote in post #4961664 (external link)
Interesting but would the autofocus still accurate at F8 by forcing it? Since 2x converter a bit extreme. Won't a Canon one offer better image quality over the 3rd party ones when comes to 2x converter? Thanks.

There is a lot of articals suggesting that AF overshoot and sometimes hunting happens yes.

Gear List

Lenty007
221 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 21, 2008 11:00 |  #14

Lester is correct, hunting appears more often than without the tc. Sure consequences have to be considdered in terms of speed, IQ (especially contrast), apperture, hunting, ISO.
I honestly say that it isn't a combo I use on a regular base. It's handy for cases one is in need of a cheep and big tele - like shooting the moon for instance.
Sure IQ will be better with a Canon TC but you lose AF (unless you tape off a pin on the lens) but the Tamron does the job for what it's worth.
Here are a few examples. The girl (on the fly/street) is taken with an 350d on 1/250 F/8. A 100% crop is added. The moon is taken a few days ago with an 30d, same speed.
All the best
Alain,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Lenty007
221 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 21, 2008 11:01 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #15

Here is the moon shot
Greetings,
Alain,

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

4,381 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM: which teleconverter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.