Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 22:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Champ Car and IRL Merge

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 22, 2008 22:14 |  #1

Just read where Champ Car will be absorbed by the IRL starting this year.

The article says roughly 10 CC teams are expected to be ready for the IRL season opener at Homestead. This could lead to a field as high as 26 cars with the possibility of "full" 30+ car fields by mid season.

I hope this revives open wheel racing in the USofA...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
Field ­ of ­ 33
245 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2008 00:53 |  #2

As a HUGE IRL fan, I welcome this news. Time to get to work now, though, boys...

-Paul Dalbey
Canon EOS 7D | BG-E7 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L | Speedlite 430 EX II

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2008 00:55 |  #3

Excellent, I might even start tuning in again.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

dsky
82 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2008 01:08 |  #4

This is good, but I was planning on going to Houston for the CCWS race, and that's most likely going to be pulled for the IRL race.

However, ALMS should still be there, so hopefully the sponsors don't out.

| Flickr (external link) | Canon 30D | BG-E2N | 70-200 f/4L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 430EX |http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dsky/ (external link)

dophoto
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 23, 2008 01:45 |  #5

Well, are they still coming to Australia for Surfers Paradise?

dsky
82 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2008 01:56 |  #6

dophoto wrote in post #4976546 (external link)

Probably not, they have an IRL race the same weekend at Infineon in California.

| Flickr (external link) | Canon 30D | BG-E2N | 70-200 f/4L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 430EX |http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dsky/ (external link)

klippe
Goldmember
2,168 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2008 03:05 |  #7

I read that they were going to do the Aussie race. But who knows? The two categories should have never been split in the first place.

No surprises that things fell apart. I always thought that the original split was motivated by greed - and I think anything founded on greed is doomed to failure if the economic climate changes. (My opinion only though)

Great news that they are merging. Hopefully it does revive things somewhat.

Cliff

The impossible has begun - another step closer - and I am very hungry for it.
http://www.motorsportm​edia.co.uk (external link)

Primm
787 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 23, 2008 03:08 |  #8

I've heard not.

Apparently Avesco would like to turn it into a v8's only event, but the organisers have said without the Champ cars there's no point, so it's not happening.

Ruth.
20D
+ 400mm f/5.6 L + 300mm f/4 L IS + 70-200 f/4 L + 17-40mm f/4 L + 50mm 1.8
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Field ­ of ­ 33
245 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2008 09:45 |  #9

Yes, Surfers Paradise is rumored to be one of the 3 Champ Car raaces to be incorporated into the IndyCar calendar - along with Long Beach, CA and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The only problem is the the IndyCar Series is contractually obligated to crown their champion at Chicagoland Speedway around the weekend of September 10 (I can't remember the exact date). So where does that leave Australia? Strongest rumors are that the race would be an exhibition race and not pay points towards the championship or that the race would be the official kick-off of the 2009 season. Details should be announced at a press conference next Tuesday or Wednesday.

klippe wrote in post #4976722 (external link)
No surprises that things fell apart. I always thought that the original split was motivated by greed - and I think anything founded on greed is doomed to failure if the economic climate changes. (My opinion only though)

Great news that they are merging. Hopefully it does revive things somewhat.

Cliff

This is obviously a source of great contention, at least here in the US where open wheel racing was the most popular series a few years before the split occurred. However, in my opinion, I think that the split was necessary and that the devastating consequence would have occurred with or without the split. The former CART management was in trouble and were losing the Indy 500 as the focal point of their league. Tony George could see that and formed his Indy Racing League to ensure that the Indy 500 would always remain that focal point. The ultimate collapse of CART/ChampCar proves that his theory was correct. Unfortunately, CART/ChampCar decided that going along without the Indy 500 was the way to go and the ensuing Civil War has been terrible for all. However, I truly believe that in the coming years (not likely this year) the unified series, with a focus on the Indy 500, will be able to prosper and grow back to where it was 15 years ago.

-Paul Dalbey
Canon EOS 7D | BG-E7 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L | Speedlite 430 EX II

abuseddog
125 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 23, 2008 10:19 as a reply to  @ Field of 33's post |  #10

The champ cars on a closed airport course was just insane. Got to watch it last in edmonton last year, if only I had a real camera instaed of a a 570. ;)

klippe
Goldmember
2,168 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2008 16:10 |  #11

Field of 33 wrote in post #4977669 (external link)
This is obviously a source of great contention, at least here in the US where open wheel racing was the most popular series a few years before the split occurred. However, in my opinion, I think that the split was necessary and that the devastating consequence would have occurred with or without the split. The former CART management was in trouble and were losing the Indy 500 as the focal point of their league. Tony George could see that and formed his Indy Racing League to ensure that the Indy 500 would always remain that focal point. The ultimate collapse of CART/ChampCar proves that his theory was correct. Unfortunately, CART/ChampCar decided that going along without the Indy 500 was the way to go and the ensuing Civil War has been terrible for all. However, I truly believe that in the coming years (not likely this year) the unified series, with a focus on the Indy 500, will be able to prosper and grow back to where it was 15 years ago.

I do hope you're right. I think it's great that they have allowed common sense to prevail.

Cliff

The impossible has begun - another step closer - and I am very hungry for it.
http://www.motorsportm​edia.co.uk (external link)

Primm
787 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 23, 2008 17:12 |  #12

Field of 33 wrote in post #4977669 (external link)
Yes, Surfers Paradise is rumored to be one of the 3 Champ Car raaces to be incorporated into the IndyCar calendar - along with Long Beach, CA and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The only problem is the the IndyCar Series is contractually obligated to crown their champion at Chicagoland Speedway around the weekend of September 10 (I can't remember the exact date). So where does that leave Australia? Strongest rumors are that the race would be an exhibition race and not pay points towards the championship or that the race would be the official kick-off of the 2009 season. Details should be announced at a press conference next Tuesday or Wednesday.

That's what I heard too. Which really translates into "there won't be a Gold Coast Indy Grand Prix next year".

Because really, what team in their right mind is going to travel half-way around the world for a race that doesn't count?

Ruth.
20D
+ 400mm f/5.6 L + 300mm f/4 L IS + 70-200 f/4 L + 17-40mm f/4 L + 50mm 1.8
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

ajbalazic
Cream of the Crop
5,228 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 23, 2008 18:25 |  #13

I heard we're losing our Toronto Indy. Does anyone know why?

Alan
Gear List

Field ­ of ­ 33
245 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2008 22:13 |  #14

Primm wrote in post #4979622 (external link)
That's what I heard too. Which really translates into "there won't be a Gold Coast Indy Grand Prix next year".

Because really, what team in their right mind is going to travel half-way around the world for a race that doesn't count?

I think the race will happen. So long as the teams get paid, that's what the bottom line is. I hope that is counts for ssomething...

ajbalazic wrote in post #4980026 (external link)
I heard we're losing our Toronto Indy. Does anyone know why?

Toronto is likely off the 2008 schedule for the simple fact that there just isn't room for it this year given the IRL's contracts with their current tracks. I would be SHOCKED if it was left of the 2009 schedule. You'll only have a one-year hiatus, I (almost) promise you.

-Paul Dalbey

sponsored links

1,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Champ Car and IRL Merge
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.