Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arizona POTN get together?

this thread is locked
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,466 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 24, 2008 10:48 |  #6136

DanaS wrote in post #4983834 (external link)
Hatch,
I just got done looking at your gallary. Looks like you enjoy a lot of macro. Any suggestions on macro lenses?

I'm not really a fan of macro ...this is the only lens I own. ROFL :D

Seriously...
Yes... I am a macro nut case. I like to shoot other things as well but... the macro world has me hooked.

A few questions to ask yourself...

Budget
Shooting style /goals
Weight of the lens and camera shake...
Tripod...hand-held shooting

I've used the Canon 100mm the past 4 years. As with 99% of macro lenses from all brands... it is wicked sharp!!! It isn't very heavy...even though it has a lot of glass in it. The working distance in very nice. You can add extension tubes to increase your magnification. Even though the manual says you can't use a teleconverter with the lens you can attach an extension tube to the TC and then attach the lens.

If you shoot hand-held.. .this is a great lens for the job. The weight won't beat you down.

The reason I mention shooting style/goals... you can take close up shots that look great with most any lens without the need for a true macro lens. If you really want to see all the amazing details...then a 1:1 macro lens is the way to go IMO.

I think the Canon 100mm is around $400 or so. It can be used for other types of photography... just know if you photograph people with it.. .all the details show... the good and the bad. :)

I wanted a little more working distance and great bokeh the 180mm macro lenses produce. So... I bought the Sigma 180mm macro. I was nervous as I haven't purchased anything other than Canon. I'm so glad I bought the lens and saved some money. It is performing very well. I love the bokeh in the shots. The extra working distance is nice. It is harder to shoot than the 100mm due to the focal length... the weight isn't bad but you notice a difference. I would suggest a monopod or tripod. I've used the monopod with it several times... very handy!

The Sigma 105mm lens is supposed to be excellent as well as the Sigma 150mm.

For an all around/general purpose macro lens... you just can't beat the Canon 100mm macro IMO.

Hope this helps.
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
DanaS
24 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 24, 2008 11:39 as a reply to  @ Hatch1921's post |  #6137

Thanks Hatch, great info to consider.
Will probably go with the Canon 100mm for general purpose. Going to Hawaii on the 21st of March and have nothing in the Macro dept. Looking forward to all the opportunities presented there.

Dana S
1D MarkII N, 7D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, couple ball-heads, etc... Image editing okay.

DanaS
24 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 24, 2008 11:41 as a reply to  @ post 4983898 |  #6138

Hey Scott, sorry about that, thanks for the welcome and hope to see you again at the next opportunity :D.
Dana

I was the one you met with Steve...don't feel bad, I'm horrible with names myself. The only reason I recognized your post was your mentioning of a horrible computer death when we met :). Anyway, glad to see you in here.

Dana S
1D MarkII N, 7D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, couple ball-heads, etc... Image editing okay.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 12:42 |  #6139

DanaS wrote in post #4984173 (external link)
Thanks Hatch, great info to consider.
Will probably go with the Canon 100mm for general purpose. Going to Hawaii on the 21st of March and have nothing in the Macro dept. Looking forward to all the opportunities presented there.

What Hatch says...

But, FWIW, the 17-40 f/4L can shoot rediculously close in. True it isn't Macro but you get double duty from it as both a close up lens and a great (read: sick sharp) WA on a crop or UWA on FF...

Just tossin' in a couple of pennies while waiting out the rain in Fontana...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,313 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2008 13:24 |  #6140

DanaS wrote in post #4983785 (external link)
Great time of year to get out.

welcome Dana! btw, you probably haven't seen outside my window :-D it's snowing again up here in flagstaff:lol:

hehe, I'm kinda stuck indoors even though I have a 1D...

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,466 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 24, 2008 14:04 |  #6141

But, FWIW, the 17-40 f/4L can shoot rediculously close in. True it isn't Macro but you get double duty from it as both a close up lens and a great (read: sick sharp) WA on a crop or UWA on FF...

Jay is correct... and ... with the UWA the sunsets would be wonderful to capture with the lens. Not to mention the rest of the Island..

Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

DanaS
24 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 24, 2008 14:59 as a reply to  @ Hatch1921's post |  #6142

Thanks for the 17-40 f/4L option Jay, but the reviews I have read (B & H) give mixed opinions on sharpness (could just be their copies? :( ). I have the 24-105mm f/4L already, would this cover the land/seascapes?

Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes, and advise.
Dana

Dana S

azphotos
747 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 15:03 as a reply to  @ Hatch1921's post |  #6143

Part of the fun of the fest was people watching....

IMAGE: http://azphoto.info/calendar/Images/IMG_0745.jpg

Geoff

azphotos
747 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 15:06 as a reply to  @ azphotos's post |  #6144

Another part of the fun was performers:

IMAGE: http://azphoto.info/calendar/Images/IMG_0709.jpg

IMAGE: http://azphoto.info/calendar/Images/IMG_0789.jpg

Geoff

azphotos
747 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 15:08 as a reply to  @ azphotos's post |  #6145

And with movement, there is always time for a little experiment or two:

IMAGE: http://azphoto.info/calendar/Images/IMG_0803.jpg

IMAGE: http://azphoto.info/calendar/Images/IMG_0804.jpg

Geoff

azphotos
747 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 15:48 as a reply to  @ azphotos's post |  #6146

Ok - the trip report is published along with a picture for the Godess, showing Miss Tammie what she missed out on! Hope nothing serious precluded your presence Tammie.:lol:

Hello more new people!

FYI: I try to keep track of what we have planned for the group and also the results of outings along with a funny or two. You can see what is planned by going to http://www.azpotn.com (external link).

And talk about outings - Frank was making some noises yesterday about getting over to the Botanical Gardens this coming weekend - something about blooms and the rain ------ and wanting to capture some more desert shots before getting into the lush German forests!

Geoff

ScottDR
763 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2008 15:55 |  #6147

Nice shots Geoff!

I have a few to share. I am afraid the background noise was pretty bad for the vast majority of shots but here you go. First off was the awwww picture:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i262.photobucke​t.com …ii96/ScottDR/IM​G_5845.jpg (external link)

And a couple of action shots:

http://i262.photobucke​t.com …ii96/ScottDR/IM​G_5943.jpg (external link)

http://i262.photobucke​t.com …ii96/ScottDR/IM​G_5887.jpg (external link)

ScottDR
Canon EOS 30D x 2, 24-105 4.0L, 70-200 4.0L 580EX II, some new stuff and more old stuff :).

Kamrie
219 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2008 19:28 as a reply to  @ post 4979749 |  #6148

hatch~
amazing shots, wow is the only word that came out of my mouth lol
~Kamrie

♥Kamrie♥
Photo Bucket (external link)
My Blog! (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 21:30 |  #6149

DanaS wrote in post #4985302 (external link)
Thanks for the 17-40 f/4L option Jay, but the reviews I have read (B & H) give mixed opinions on sharpness (could just be their copies? :( ). I have the 24-105mm f/4L already, would this cover the land/seascapes?

Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes, and advise.
Dana

24mm on FF is wide but not so much on 1.6x bodies. The 17-40 would get you wider (and closer...) I hadn't seen any poor reviews of the 17-40 but I understand how it is to trust the sources we trust.

BTW, I think I owe you a welcome!

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2008 21:32 |  #6150

Great shots from the Japanese fest there campers. Geoff gets my gold star (for all that's worth...) for the flying drumstick experiments. Nice job of getting your gear to capture what your mind saw! Beautiful...

Jay

sponsored links

628,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arizona POTN get together?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.