Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Feb 2008 (Sunday) 12:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Filter Advice....Cokin?

djglenn1337
124 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 24, 2008 12:19 |  #1

Hello,

I currently have a Canon 400D (Xti) with a 18-55mm IS, Tammy 55-200mm & 430EX, Tripod, etc.

I am looking at the prospect of purchasing new lens', in particular the 60mm 2.8 Macro and the new 55-250mm IS, (choices change daily... :o)

However, I would also like to consider filter options before buying a particular lens. Do the Cokin kits work on lens' with rotating focus rings? like the kit lens for example?

Is it simple to adopt a single kit for different thread sizes? rather than buying individual circular filters...

any advice / guidance would be welcome..

My Gear
Canon 550D, Σ10-20mm, 18-55mm IS, Σ17-50mm 2.8 OS, 55-250mm IS, 60mm 2.8 Macro, 430EX II & Battery Grip

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 24, 2008 12:30 |  #2

djglenn1337 wrote in post #4984372 (external link)
Hello,

I currently have a Canon 400D (Xti) with a 18-55mm IS, Tammy 55-200mm & 430EX, Tripod, etc.

I am looking at the prospect of purchasing new lens', in particular the 60mm 2.8 Macro and the new 55-250mm IS, (choices change daily... :o)

However, I would also like to consider filter options before buying a particular lens. Do the Cokin kits work on lens' with rotating focus rings? like the kit lens for example?

Is it simple to adopt a single kit for different thread sizes? rather than buying individual circular filters...

any advice / guidance would be welcome..

1.) Filters that don't need to rotate (UV, ND for example) will work fine on a lens that rotates as it focuses. No problem there. Filters that need to rotate (CPL) will need to be adjusted after the lens has focused. If you adjust it before, you won't get the desired effect after the lens has focused.

2.) You can buy a filter for your largest lens diameter and use a step-up ring on your smaller diameter lens. This will let you share filters between lenses. However, if you're using a wide angle lens, the step ring *may* cause vignetting issues (maybe not on a crop camera...can't say for sure).

PS If you're going to use filters, be sure to get a good multicoated filter (B+W, Hoya, Heliopan). A poor filter will degrade the image and you won't be happy. Refer to the Protective Filter FAQ at the top of this forum...lots of good info.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

djglenn1337
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 24, 2008 13:02 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #3

Great! I some how was always under the impression a rotating focus meant these type of systems were unavailable...

I assume that the only way to get detail in the sky, whilst maintaing the subject detail is by using a nd filter / GND?

My Gear
Canon 550D, Σ10-20mm, 18-55mm IS, Σ17-50mm 2.8 OS, 55-250mm IS, 60mm 2.8 Macro, 430EX II & Battery Grip

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 24, 2008 14:25 |  #4

Yes, GND is what you want. Having said that, Cokin's GNDs are crap and leave a weird colour cast.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 24, 2008 14:28 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #5

And a note to my previous post...if you're using a step-up ring with your circular filters, there's also a good chance that you will not be able to use your lens hood at the same time. Just something to be aware of.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

djglenn1337
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 24, 2008 15:16 |  #6

perryge wrote in post #4985105 (external link)
Yes, GND is what you want. Having said that, Cokin's GNDs are crap and leave a weird colour cast.

Good to know...which ones are good?

Also, I assume if I take a picture in RAW, and the sky is white and overexposed, I cannot recover the detail in Photoshop?

My Gear

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 24, 2008 15:21 |  #7

dj, I just recieved the Heliopan GND 0.6 . Its a bit pricey but in the long run, it is worth it.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 24, 2008 15:34 |  #8

djglenn1337 wrote in post #4985366 (external link)
I assume if I take a picture in RAW, and the sky is white and overexposed, I cannot recover the detail in Photoshop?

Correct. Once everything goes to white, there's no detail there.

Mark.

sponsored links

1,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Filter Advice....Cokin?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.