Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Jan 2008 (Thursday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do YOU present your print portfolio?

Mario.
624 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2008 11:16 |  #1

Looking for ideas for print portfolios. I am wondering what photographers are using to show off their work to clients, BESIDES a web/virtual portfolio. :)

Mario M. | Black Macbook 2.4/ 4GB | 40D | 350D| 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | 580EX | 430EX

sponsored links
canuck88
237 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2008 18:52 |  #2

I use a book of my images that I had printed (you can do these at a multitude of places including shutterfly, blurb, windflash, etc). I'm thinking of switching to a contract/portfolio all-in-one as Jon from Slantphoto posted in the forums... I'm waiting for him to send me a sample.

Scott

5DII, 40D, + a bunch of lenses, studio strobes, & other stuff.

Mario.
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 25, 2008 10:58 |  #3

canuck88 wrote in post #4775996 (external link)
I use a book of my images that I had printed (you can do these at a multitude of places including shutterfly, blurb, windflash, etc). I'm thinking of switching to a contract/portfolio all-in-one as Jon from Slantphoto posted in the forums... I'm waiting for him to send me a sample.

Thanks for your reply!

Frankly, I'm somewhat scared here. I've gotten one reply on a topic that I would imagine is fairly important to anyone who has a business in photography. :oops:

Mario M. | Black Macbook 2.4/ 4GB | 40D | 350D| 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | 580EX | 430EX

atomick
98 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 25, 2008 11:11 |  #4

While my portfolio is more art based (and therefore I use a 13 x 19 portfolio with sleeves, so I can re-order as needed), as a creative director I got a lot of portfolio books from professionals. The nicest ones came in aluminum boxes and were spiral bound or loose leaf (believe it or not I love loose leaf prints in a box - easy to spread out, sort through); below that came the professional Blurb.com-level actual books. Below that came the spiral-bound inkjet prints (we actually loved these because it sold the work and the prints were awesome, less focus on the packaging). Below that came the Shutterfly-esque printed books.

That's just my opinion, though. I think the long and the short of it is that there are a ton of form factors to choose from and at the end of the day it's the quality of the prints that matter more. Nice packaging does infer some thinking in terms of marketing, self-promotion, and self-branding, which is nice to have but very, very secondary to the work itself.

Many pro art buyers do not like to solely rely on Web sites, but I've got no problem hiring directly from the web before as long as the images shown are at a hefty size. But I'm new school like that. :)

FWIW,
-Atomick

5D | 15 f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L
--> Atomick Industries (external link)
--> My Corner of The Flickrverse (external link)

Time ­ Thief
599 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 25, 2008 13:09 |  #5

I use a TAP self stick album. I got the 10 pages/20 sides one and just started putting my pics in it. The only problem with that type of album is once they are stuck, they are stuck and there is no taking one out and replacing it. Now that I have filled it, I am a little pissed at myself as I don't have any baby pics in this one. I now figure that I will get another one that is 5 pages/10 sides for just baby pics. Hope this helps. Mark

40D, 20D, 24-105 4.0L, 24 2.8, 70-200 2.8L, 18-55 kit lens, 2 x 430ex's, way too many extras to list and even more that I need :mrgreen:
DPP tutorials: http://www.usa.canon.c​om/content/dpp2/index.​html (external link)

StMarc
96 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 26, 2008 20:16 |  #6

I have about a half-dozen 11x14 portfolios. These are leather cases which open on three sides with a zipper to become ring-bound books with removeable pages. I got most of them as gifts, but I've also bought a few from http://www.dickblick.c​om (external link), which is where I also get replacement pages. Here's an example:

http://www.dickblick.c​om/zz150/10/ (external link)

M

CanonXTuser
648 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2008 15:27 as a reply to  @ StMarc's post |  #7

bump.

I am trying to figure out how to present images that I want to mail out to prospective clients, seeking work.

Like to hear what others do.

I also understand that portfolios, prints and books/photobooks are not considered commercial use but fall under the allowable or editorial use of photos [figures, events, sports, music, street, etc].

Now Canon 30D user [previous used XT, XTi, and Rebel]
http://www.concertphot​ozine.com (external link) - "I make your crappy band look good"

CanonXTuser
648 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2008 15:29 |  #8

atomick wrote in post #4780511 (external link)
While my portfolio is more art based (and therefore I use a 13 x 19 portfolio with sleeves, so I can re-order as needed), as a creative director I got a lot of portfolio books from professionals. The nicest ones came in aluminum boxes and were spiral bound or loose leaf (believe it or not I love loose leaf prints in a box - easy to spread out, sort through); below that came the professional Blurb.com-level actual books. Below that came the spiral-bound inkjet prints (we actually loved these because it sold the work and the prints were awesome, less focus on the packaging). Below that came the Shutterfly-esque printed books.

That's just my opinion, though. I think the long and the short of it is that there are a ton of form factors to choose from and at the end of the day it's the quality of the prints that matter more. Nice packaging does infer some thinking in terms of marketing, self-promotion, and self-branding, which is nice to have but very, very secondary to the work itself.

Many pro art buyers do not like to solely rely on Web sites, but I've got no problem hiring directly from the web before as long as the images shown are at a hefty size. But I'm new school like that. :)

FWIW,
-Atomick

Really great info. Thanks. Wish we had more creative and art directors on forum.

One thing though - some of those kits sound really expensive

Now Canon 30D user [previous used XT, XTi, and Rebel]
http://www.concertphot​ozine.com (external link) - "I make your crappy band look good"

John ­ Mireles
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 23, 2008 21:33 |  #9

CanonXTuser wrote in post #4979149 (external link)
One thing though - some of those kits sound really expensive

Some are. Photographers will spend thousands on their portfolio. That's how they make their money and, given that a lot of advertising jobs run in the tens of thousands if not hundred thousand or more, a great book will quickly pay for itself. I just saw another photographers book that was printed and bound like a hefty magazine - except thread was wrapped around the outside for the binding. That was probably a $10,000 production budget.

On the other hand, I've put together books that were spiral bound at kinkos. I'd keep them in their kinkos bag just to play up the low tech feel. Art buyers loved it. The cost was something like 10 bucks including the prints.

Whatever you do, don't come in with some half-baked presentation. Don't show prints of different sizes or your book in tatters. You'd be surprised what some photographers think is okay. It's not.

You just want to have great work that's easily viewed. The presentation shouldn't get in the way. It's nice though when it communicates something about your personality. Don't come up with some heavy monstrosity either - most Art Buyers are female and they're not going to break their back to lug your book over to their cube. They'll just send it back untouched.

Art directors will laugh though when they get some big fancy book in the door and the work is mediocre. The presentation doesn't matter if the work sucks. Likewise, if you're going to do some fancy presentation, your work had better kick ass. Actually, your work had better kick ass if you're going to get the job. In general, it's always helpful to have great work. Life is much easier that way.

John

www.photographerstoolk​it.com (external link)

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2008 16:41 as a reply to  @ John Mireles's post |  #10

I bought a 18"x18" leather scrapbook album. Then purchased the black page/paper and replaced all the sheets. I display the 8x10 photos naked (with no covering) but keep a thin piece of felt between the photos when closed (also from the scrapbook section). Each photo has a couple double faced tape pieces made for photos around the edges, then small 1" L shaped vinyl (sticker) pieces on each corner for good measure.

So far everyone loves it and no comments have been made about the felt. Customers seem to take more time viewing the photos... Treating them like they're fragile. ;)

I have been designing a book too.

Troy

MrsKitty
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 25, 2008 19:02 |  #11

I have done a lot of freelancing for some magazines. How does one present this work?

Do I use tear sheets? On the b/w magazine shots, is it OK to also display the color images alongside the b/w?

Thanks! :)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2008 13:00 |  #12

StMarc wrote in post #4789518 (external link)
I have about a half-dozen 11x14 portfolios. These are leather cases which open on three sides with a zipper to become ring-bound books with removeable pages. I got most of them as gifts, but I've also bought a few from http://www.dickblick.c​om (external link), which is where I also get replacement pages. Here's an example:

http://www.dickblick.c​om/zz150/10/ (external link)

M

Those are some great stuff on that website. thank you so much for sharing. would like it if more people would chime in on here :-)

so yeah, I'm getting ready to present my images to the faculty at my school. (almost ready to graduate! woohoo!) anyways, it's kinda weird but the teacher in charge of the program does not want us to use any plastic covering for the storage of the photos. any other recommendations? I'm thinking about going for the itoya art profolio professional presentation book.
http://www.dickblick.c​om/zz152/35/ (external link)

yay or nays? my shots I'm presenting are fashion with dresses. hope this works.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2008 13:33 |  #13

What size prints do you guys normally use for portfolios? 11x14 would seem like the best size to me. What about weird aspect ratios like 8x12?

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

symphony-x
114 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 09, 2008 15:03 |  #14

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img.photobucket​.com …sist/portfoliol​ayout1.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

a3 size, photos of showing the portfolio aint great but you get the jist

Levi WJ Bunyan
Cameras: Fuji S7000, Canon EOS 400D
Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM, Sigma f1.4 30mm HSM
Tripod: Manfrotto 190XB with 390RC2 Head
Flash: Canon 580EX II

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2008 15:09 |  #15

my stuff will be at about 11x14 in size.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links

5,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do YOU present your print portfolio?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.