Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Feb 2008 (Monday) 11:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Car Wrapping?

Charlya
48 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2008 11:53 |  #1

This is a first for me. A wedding coordinator I work with often asked me how much I would charge to let her have her car "wrapped" with one of my images. I don't even have the slightest idea what to charge her.

I know this "what do you charge" question is annoying but this request is a first for me and I could use some help and direction.

Thanks in advance!

Gear: Canon 40D with battery grip, Canon Rebel XTi with battery grip, EFS 18-55mm (Kit), Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens, (2) Canon EF 28-135mm Lens, Promaster 18-300mm lens, Canon Speedlite 580EX, Canon Speedlite XII, CP-E3, and Canon G6

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 25, 2008 12:04 |  #2

Interesting concept Charlya - my immediate response is that I don't know. But I would liken this to some sort of signage or billboard usage. Your image will have to be converted into some sort of decal or the equivalent.

1. Will she be picking up the cost of the "wrap" in addition to whatever you charge for use?
2. Do you like this coordinator and not mind having her use the image?
3. Will you have some sort of photography tag line on the wrap off somewhere to give you credit (that could figure into negotiating a price)?
4. Do you know how long the "wrapped" car will be in service?
5. How established are you, and how much are you in demand? This will figure into your value.

I don't find this type of question annoying at all as it's a little different than the others. Basically you have entered the realm of advertising photography which can involve a lot of custom pricing. I'll be interested in seeing some other comments.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2008 16:56 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #3

I'm also a vinyl graphics and sign professional. If she is planning a full body wrap it will cost her a couple grand just to get the image printed and applied. If it is just a photo on the side in large scale the price wont be nearly that bad but this will at least give you an idea of the cost on the other end. I would be suprised if the printer even asks for a written use of the image.

Vinyl life is usually around 5 years.

I assume this would be used to promote a business? It seems the same would apply for another post recently of a law firm wanting to use some images in trade for advertising. Answers were between $300 and $500 each.

Troy

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 25, 2008 19:12 |  #4

Glad somebody has better info than I do ;). That is what I would tend to agree with.... probably split the difference at $400 and see how that flies.

TroyRaymond wrote in post #4993588 (external link)
......Vinyl life is usually around 5 years.

I assume this would be used to promote a business? It seems the same would apply for another post recently of a law firm wanting to use some images in trade for advertising. Answers were between $300 and $500 each.

Troy

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Charlya
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 26, 2008 08:34 |  #5

Thanks guys. Yes it would be used to promote her business. I would ask for my name somewhere on there. I'll let you know where it goes from here.

Gear: Canon 40D with battery grip, Canon Rebel XTi with battery grip, EFS 18-55mm (Kit), Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens, (2) Canon EF 28-135mm Lens, Promaster 18-300mm lens, Canon Speedlite 580EX, Canon Speedlite XII, CP-E3, and Canon G6

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2008 09:59 |  #6

Sounds like a plan Charlya - best wishes on your venture. Get a bit of cash and some exposure of your name out of it and it should be ok.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Car Wrapping?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.