Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arizona POTN get together?

this thread is locked
disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,313 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2008 22:32 |  #6151

DanaS wrote in post #4985302 (external link)
Thanks for the 17-40 f/4L option Jay, but the reviews I have read (B & H) give mixed opinions on sharpness (could just be their copies? :( ). I have the 24-105mm f/4L already, would this cover the land/seascapes?

Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes, and advise.
Dana

I'd like to charm in here and say the 17-40 is a great wa. mine is on my camera 90% of the time.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2008 00:09 |  #6152

disneydork06 wrote in post #4988389 (external link)
I'd like to charm in here and say the 17-40 is a great wa. mine is on my camera 90% of the time.

Charm? ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2008 00:21 |  #6153

BTW, it's 10:20pm PST and we're still sitting in the TV truck waiting to re-start the NASCAR race in Fontana, CA.

I'm quickly losing my will to live. We still have 3/4 of the race left to run.

So, who still thinks I have the greatest job? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler?

:)

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2008 05:34 |  #6154

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #4988988 (external link)
BTW, it's 10:20pm PST and we're still sitting in the TV truck waiting to re-start the NASCAR race in Fontana, CA.

since you have to work your job isn't so great, the greatest would be a person who doesn't have to work.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,313 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2008 08:53 |  #6155

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #4988955 (external link)
Charm? ;)

oh sorry, chime...I was a little distracted playing call of duty 4 and editing photos in between, oh and also checking out potn :-)

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #4988988 (external link)

that's why I got an iPhone, for those just in case times :-)

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2008 09:52 |  #6156

arizona85224 wrote in post #4989784 (external link)
since you have to work your job isn't so great, the greatest would be a person who doesn't have to work.

When did I ever say I "work?" :cool::lol:

Jay

Guerry ­ Dalrymple
370 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 25, 2008 11:29 |  #6157

DanaS wrote in post #4985302 (external link)
Thanks for the 17-40 f/4L option Jay, but the reviews I have read (B & H) give mixed opinions on sharpness (could just be their copies? :( ). I have the 24-105mm f/4L already, would this cover the land/seascapes?

Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes, and advise.
Dana

Welcome Dana! As you have seen this is a pretty good group.

I just recently got a Canon 17-55 2.8 IS lens to use on our 40D XTi and 20D. So far I am impressed with the fast focus and the wide angl on our 1.6 sensors. Just my $.02

Thanks for Looking, Guerry :)
Gear:
Cameras 40D, XTi, 20D. Lenses: Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, 20 2.8, 60 2.8 Macro, 100 2.8 Macro, 18-55 Kit, 70-200 f4 non IS, 300 f4 IS, 400 f5.6, 600 f4 IS, Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX, 1.4 EX TC, 2X EX TC, Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2008 11:40 |  #6158

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #4990863 (external link)
When did I ever say I "work?" :cool::lol:

you have a job don't you or are you a millionair, if so congrats.

AZTBS
166 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2008 16:54 |  #6159

:mrgreen: Greetings from another relative newbie!

I assume this is the Arizona hang out? I just got back on to this forum to sign up and realized that I had made an account almost 5 years ago and lurked a while and never used it. Well I am back, I have about 7500 shots through my Xti and its time I finally figured out how to really use it! :p

My name is Tiffanie and I am from Chandler ( mr 85224 must be my next door neighbor. ;) )

:) Tiffanie
Xti ~ 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55 'kit' ~ 50 f/1.4 ~ 100 f/2.8 macro ~ 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS ~ 550EX

xpsentity
542 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2008 17:00 |  #6160

AZTBS wrote in post #4993569 (external link)

I assume this is the Arizona hang out? I just got back on to this forum to sign up and realized that I had made an account almost 5 years ago and lurked a while and never used it. Well I am back, I have about 7500 shots through my Xti and its time I finally figured out how to really use it! :p

My name is Tiffanie and I am from Chandler ( mr 85224 must be my next door neighbor. ;) )

Hi Tiffanie. Welcome to our little world. :cool:

Black boxes, glass shards
http://entityzero.devi​antart.com (external link)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,313 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2008 17:17 |  #6161

Welcome Tiffanie! so we gotta ask, what is it that you like to shoot? and do you have a gallery online of your photos yet that we can see? you must have something after 7500 shots right? :-)

Ryan

AZTBS
166 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2008 18:41 |  #6162

Thanks for the welcome! For me, one expensive hobby led me right into another. What I like to shoot most lives right in my living room, and that is my coral reef tank:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I am experimenting with photographing coral fluorescence under UV light:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I am addicted to really wide panoramic shots and landscapes:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I have been a bit of an artist my whole life, but I have primarily drawn portraits in pencil. Here's a scan of an example:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I have always loved taking pictures (like a dumb tourist)! It's only recently that I have begun to educate myself and pay attention to what I am doing and get some decent equipment.

My only online gallery is my trip-blog-photo-snapshots, not so much an artistic photo gallery: http://www.projectbat.​com/photos (external link)
My aquarium gallery is in the making. And now I have talked about myself wayyyy too much! :oops: Is this a pretty big group, or do people come and go real quick?

:) Tiffanie
Xti ~ 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55 'kit' ~ 50 f/1.4 ~ 100 f/2.8 macro ~ 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS ~ 550EX

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,466 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 25, 2008 18:59 |  #6163

Welcome to the group Tiffanie. Nice shots, I really like the 3rd photo and your sketch.

I would say the group has been steady... a few new individuals here and there... then this guy Jay turned up one day and the group grew exponentially. ROFL :)

The past couple of months the group has really grown. Lots of nice people with different skill levels. I think there is a group shoot in the works?

Once again welcome to the group.
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

DanaS
24 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 25, 2008 19:03 as a reply to  @ AZTBS's post |  #6164

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. With the d1mkII I get the 1.3 crop so I think I should be ok for the time with the 24-105mm f/4L.... But that 17-40mm f/4L is very tempting and not to bad a price for L glass :lol:.

Welcome to all the other newbies.
Just started posting and have recieved a great deal of information.

Dana

Dana S
1D MarkII N, 7D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, couple ball-heads, etc... Image editing okay.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2008 19:55 |  #6165

AZTBS wrote in post #4993569 (external link)

oh, was that you i seen walking out the door Sat night. I said hi but you just kept on. just kidding hello neighbor

sponsored links

628,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arizona POTN get together?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.