Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Feb 2008 (Saturday) 03:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can a guy make some money?

Stime187
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 18, 2008 00:10 |  #16

pro wrote in post #4938483 (external link)
Does anyone use the pro smugmug? It isn't cheap, But it looks really nice.

I use whatever the middle SmugMug account is.

My website: www.LightOfTheWild.com (external link)

It works well for me and does exactly what I need it to do. It was easy to set up too and easy to update.

Galleries, Workshops, etc - LightOfTheWild.com (external link) | Become a Fan -- Facebook.com/LightOfTh​eWild (external link) | On Twitter -- @LightOfTheWild (external link)

sponsored links
e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 18, 2008 00:58 |  #17

a little OT, but some of you vista print users should do a google search on vistaprint scam.
also, check your monthly bank statements, as they've been known to take money without your permission.

Canon EOS 5Dmk3 //

<AkulA>
Goldmember
2,038 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 18, 2008 01:12 |  #18

wow, thanks eryk - I was about to check them out, then read up on Vistaprint on Consumer Affairs - they sound nasty!

-Brandon-

Gear - Gallery (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 18, 2008 09:56 |  #19

I also want to know how people are going to find my stuff if I can't even figure out how to shop on the sites.

I told you, "get some business cards... & pass them out to the racers." Talk to them so they get to know you. They're the people who will most likely buy. While a blog might get you a sale or two from spectators or other interested people, you need to hit your target market first.

also, check your monthly bank statements, as they've been known to take money without your permission.

You can avoid that by not signing up for their "one-month free" promotion. People do & forget to cancel it.
Their cards are cheap & pretty good quality, so I still use them.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 18, 2008 22:38 |  #20

Yeah I made sure to opt out of that, if you dont pay attention to what you are clicking you agree to its probably not hard to blame them for it, but they made it really easy to opt out, as you had to actually click to agree to it.

Canon 20D, Nikon D300 & assorted stuff...
Kadath @ Flickr (external link) -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Net (external link)
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Pool (external link) Lately?

e20ci
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2008 05:44 as a reply to  @ Stime187's post |  #21

I have been using Fotolia (http://us.fotolia.com/​partner/318516 (external link)) for a few months and made about $50 so far :lol: ... Not bad, considering I just uploaded old shots I had already taken. They sell small versions (1200x800 pixel, I think) for $1 each and give you half, but that adds up easily, and its not like you're giving away the full high quality version to anyone for really cheap. Just upload as many good shots as you can, and eventually, someone somewhere will see it and buy it.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 24, 2008 08:02 |  #22

Hi photomaker - interesting post. Are you currently using these folks? I was curious about their arrangement so I read a few things on their site... basically you will receive .25 to $2 for each image which sounds like some sort of micro stock. They really make it sound like it's possible to earn big money with their system:

"As an example, here are some of our members’ portfolio’s and earnings:
- John : 7800 photos in portfolio / 5 years experience in domain / about 9000$/month
- Mark : 1400 / 2 / 1800$"

It sort of looks like you give away your copyright though, which may or may not be an issue depending upon your goals:

"The user who downloads your photo has the right to use it in leaflets, magazines, sites, but has no rights to sell it."

Interesing place.

photomaker123 wrote in post #4983120 (external link)
Here you will find tutorials about how and where to sell photos on internet or in your
town !

www.how-to-sell-photos-online.com (external link)

Best Regards!

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 24, 2008 09:59 |  #23

sapearl wrote in post #4983241 (external link)
Hi photomaker - interesting post. Are you currently using these folks? I was curious about their arrangement so I read a few things on their site... basically you will receive .25 to $2 for each image which sounds like some sort of micro stock. They really make it sound like it's possible to earn big money with their system:

"As an example, here are some of our members’ portfolio’s and earnings:
- John : 7800 photos in portfolio / 5 years experience in domain / about 9000$/month
- Mark : 1400 / 2 / 1800$"

It sort of looks like you give away your copyright though, which may or may not be an issue depending upon your goals:

"The user who downloads your photo has the right to use it in leaflets, magazines, sites, but has no rights to sell it."

Interesing place.

I'm sure the results part should add a "results not typical" disclaimer like all the weight loss tv ads have.

As far as giving away the copyright, that would discourage me from using their service. In concept, I'd have no problem selling a jpg for use as a background or for use in a digital photo frame for personal use, but I would not want to also allow them to use it in printed publications without a separate agreement and payment.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 24, 2008 10:28 |  #24

They don't say you are giving away the copyright, but IMHO I believe that's what's happening in practice.

Perhaps there's some small print I've missed, but the way they ad is written I have a suspicion that any small print of that type is designed to benefit them. This almost, but not quite smacks off those late night infomercials: " GET RICH RIGHT NOW USING OUR REAL ESTATE METHODS!!"

I don't see anything about a separate agreement for somebody making a bazillion brochures with your image - it comes right out and says this is what people will do; hence publication rights out the window. I could be wrong here, I'm making a lot of assumptions, but that's how it appears.

Buyer Beware: Read All Fine Print Carefully.;)

photoguy6405 wrote in post #4983667 (external link)
I'm sure the results part should add a "results not typical" disclaimer like all the weight loss tv ads have.

As far as giving away the copyright, that would discourage me from using their service. In concept, I'd have no problem selling a jpg for use as a background or for use in a digital photo frame for personal use, but I would not want to also allow them to use it in printed publications without a separate agreement and payment.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2008 17:54 |  #25

So I signed up for the middle smug mug. Do you have to wait for the 14 day trail to expire? I NEED to put up an address now.

Also, can you use your own address? Do they ship, sell and send you money like the pro account?

Riffmax
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 25, 2008 15:04 as a reply to  @ post 4929058 |  #26

Right now, I have a site hosted by godaddy, but am still looking for a nice site for an affordable price. Thanks for this thread. Just joined this afternoon and can already tell I will be here frequently!

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 25, 2008 15:13 |  #27

Hi Riff - welcome to POTN.... stick around for a while, it's quite an informative place and keeps you off the streets; except when you're taking pictures.:lol:

GoDaddy is great for domain names. Regarding an affordable site, were you looking for something with a "shopping cart" or just a place to upload? I use PBase myself which is very basic by a lot of standards and has no real "shopping" interface, but I display my wedding and event proofs there as well as other galleries. It's relatively inexpensive and fairly user friendly and has a huge user base. - Stu

Riffmax wrote in post #4992902 (external link)
Right now, I have a site hosted by godaddy, but am still looking for a nice site for an affordable price. Thanks for this thread. Just joined this afternoon and can already tell I will be here frequently!

GEAR LIST

Stime187
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 25, 2008 15:57 |  #28

I use GoDaddy for my domain and SmugMug for my hosting. Its been a great combination for me. My website is www.LightOfTheWild.com (external link).

Galleries, Workshops, etc - LightOfTheWild.com (external link) | Become a Fan -- Facebook.com/LightOfTh​eWild (external link) | On Twitter -- @LightOfTheWild (external link)

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2008 21:29 as a reply to  @ Stime187's post |  #29

I just ordered business cards from VistaPrint, full color both sides. $43 for 2000 plus shipping.

I have a pro smugmug account. I really like it. There are several private galleries that are not viewable unless you have the direct link. I'm just getting it finished so I'll have to keep you posted (It will forever be under contruction). ;) I'm having a little trouble with bold text in the theme I'm using. Should have it fixed soon.

My smugmug is not only my gallery, it is my entire website. Photography is my new form of art, so its not the only thing marketed on the website.

I have never used an easier gallery. If you just completed a shoot, login, click 'add photos', create a new gallery and choose what category to put it in. Then select your preset (custom) pricing, upload.... Done.... Oops, almost, edit the gallery to right click disable (protect) and limit the size of choices that can be viewed. (not the original).

The last time I made a new gallery it had about 30 images... Not counting upload time was less than 3 minutes.

The front door, Envision Creative Imaging (external link) . The slideshow here can be operated manually by a mouseover to see the controls.

Private hidden galleries:
A 'different' photography based gallery I think would interest you. The Mast (external link) 27 images. Notice the thumbs are squared up, another easy step.
A painting gallery I put up for a customer that wanted to see his helicopter being painted. Agusta A109 (external link). 31 images.

Edit: Forgot to mention, An image was created for the watermark, it placement and opacity can be adjusted in the gallery. The watermark is not on purchased prints.

Troy

Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 26, 2008 10:43 |  #30

Got my vistaprints. Wish I had known the glossy was one side only, I'd have reversed the side that got the glossy treatment. Other than that they rock!

Canon 20D, Nikon D300 & assorted stuff...
Kadath @ Flickr (external link) -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Net (external link)
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Pool (external link) Lately?

sponsored links

3,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can a guy make some money?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.