Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 27 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 15:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats Best Lens For Motorsport/Newbie

ninjaduck
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 27, 2008 15:30 |  #1

Evening guys....

I'm totally new to the DSLR scene, having been into my photography with a range of different point and shoot cameras.

I have plumbed for the 400D and so far im well chuffed.

What i would like some advice on is a lense for my main interest, being motorsport. I will mainly be at brands all season, having the season pass, and im told that 55-200 is the perfect range for brands.

What i am after is an ideal lense for motorsport, and am interested to hear what you lot would avise.

I am currently thinking about getting the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, and maybe a 2x convertor to ram that upto 400 etc.

comments and guidance welcome and requested :D

40D with grip, 70-200 f/4L, 100-400 f/4-5.6L, 50mm f/1.8
http://www.tracksnaps.​net (external link)

sponsored links
Kickstart
384 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 27, 2008 15:41 |  #2

Hi

Not shot at Brands, but generally I would say a 200mm lens is a bit short for most circuits at most locations on a 1.6 crop body.

The 70-200 might well be good choice though as you can then use a 1.4 teleconverter when required giving you a 280mm f4 lens. Give the Sigma 70-200 a thought as well.

The Sigma 100-300 f4 seems to have a good reputation as well.

All the best

Keith

Gear List

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
3,730 posts
Gallery: 693 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 27, 2008 18:01 |  #3

I would suggest ef 300 f4, or if you can stretch to it the f2.8 version.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

ninjaduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 27, 2008 18:07 |  #4

having been looking around tonight, it would seem that i do not really need a f/2.8 for motorsport purposes.

Being new to the game, i am wondering if it would be better to get something like the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM. It has a more motorsport friendly focal length, and IS Option 2.

Any thoughts?

Kickstart
384 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 27, 2008 18:55 as a reply to  @ ninjaduck's post |  #5

Hi

F2.8 on many of the Canon bodies does help as the auto focus system can take advantage of it and perform more quickly / accuratly. Otherwise much of the time the aperture is not a great issue if you are doing panned shots as you will probably be using a fairly slow shutter speed

For the first couple of years I used a Canon D30 and the cheap 75-300 USM lense. Not the best lens around but did the job and allowed me to learn.

The only IS lens I have is a 100-400 and I tend not to get on with it for panned shots.

All the best

Keith

Gear List

ninjaduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2008 02:45 |  #6

bildeb0rg wrote in post #5008873 (external link)
I would suggest ef 300 f4, or if you can stretch to it the f2.8 version.

this would be a prime fixed focal length though?

I need something that is going to be a good all rounder. Brands you can shoot as close as 50-70, but as far away as 300-400

I also need to consider that im very new to the whole SLR scene, so is it worth spending out on an L series lense when im still learning basic?

Kickstart
384 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 28, 2008 04:06 as a reply to  @ ninjaduck's post |  #7

Hi

Starting out I would say the flexability is important. A prime might well be a very good lens in the right place, but would be rather limiting.

While the 70-200 f2.8 L IS is not cheap, you can get the non IS version for rather less and also the Sigma equivalent.

Mifsuds have a 2nd hand Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for £399.

http://www.mifsuds.com​/usedpriceindex.htm (external link)

All the best

Keith

Gear List

neil_g
708 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 28, 2008 04:17 |  #8

another vote for the sigma. ive used it at castle combe, thruxton, hill climbs and rallys with good results.

Burp.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
3,730 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2008 04:27 |  #9

By "season pass" do you mean the circuit has issued you with a press pass, or you've bought multiple event tickets? If you're out side of the fence then I can't imagine your shorter lenses being that usefulll.
The pics I posted are from Croft, and no more than 30-40 yards from the track, both cropped, through a fence, with the 300 f2.8.
Zooms are more flexible, but if you are just learning, nothing completes your education more than learning to use what you've got.
If you haven't already, go to a track day, shoot with what you have, and make your purchasing decisions then.

ninjaduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2008 04:27 |  #10

oooh thanks for the link Kickstart.

These are the ones im considering....obvious​ly there are some complete differences in prices, but im after whats best for me, both as a beginner, but also baring in mind the kind of shots i want to be getting - motorsport.

Any opinions on those lot against each other? Also any opinions on IS .vs. Non-IS for this kind of thing?

Mark ­ Kemp
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 28, 2008 04:30 as a reply to  @ neil_g's post |  #11

IMHO the main factor is how close you can get to the action. This seems to vary a lot from place to place. Some keep the spectators well back but others let you get quite close. I assume you won't have press passes as you say you are starting out. You tend to want a frame filling shot if you can get it and so you need a different focal length depending where you are standing. If you are going to go to the same tracks and venues a lot then you should pick the focal length range for those places. If you are going to anywhere and everywhere then a wide range is better. Certainly I find at some places that a 300mm lens is the minimum to get an acceptable size image and a 400mm is better. On the other hand I have taken rally cars and bikes with a 24mm! Plus as others have said a 2.8 is handy for fast focussing and frozen motion, but a slower lens will still work and certainly let you get good pans. Like so many things it comes down to the cost and the weight. There is no such thing as a cheap, light, fast aperture, long zoom so you have to make some compromises deoending how rich you are and how much weight you want to carry around.

neil_g
708 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 28, 2008 04:33 |  #12

ninjaduck wrote in post #5011585 (external link)
Any opinions on those lot against each other? Also any opinions on IS .vs. Non-IS for this kind of thing?

unless you want to do super slow shutter pans then with F2.8 you dont really need IS.

Burp.

ninjaduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2008 04:35 |  #13

bildeb0rg wrote in post #5011583 (external link)
By "season pass" do you mean the circuit has issued you with a press pass, or you've bought multiple event tickets? If you're out side of the fence then I can't imagine your shorter lenses being that usefulll.
The pics I posted are from Croft, and no more than 30-40 yards from the track, both cropped, through a fence, with the 300 f2.8.
Zooms are more flexible, but if you are just learning, nothing completes your education more than learning to use what you've got.
If you haven't already, go to a track day, shoot with what you have, and make your purchasing decisions then.

just a public ticket pass for all events.
i tend to get there very early and pick a spot, usuall inside druids where you about 10 yards from the cars. But also a good spot i find is on the outside of the track up the hill to druids, looking over the fences onto the downslopw of paddock. This is where i know i am going to need 280/300 (maybe more?), but inside druids im only likely to be needing 70-100.

My main ponderance is whether i will benefit from IS (OS for Sigma) when shooting these kind of shots

Kickstart
384 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 28, 2008 04:42 as a reply to  @ neil_g's post |  #14

Hi

As mentioned my only IS lens is a 100-400 and I just don't get on with it. Images come out far too soft for me.

While there are places where a 200mm lens is fine (eg, Hall Bends at Cadwell I would be using a focal length of a touch over 100mm for bikes), something longer is also often needed. I tend to shoot with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and a 120-300 f2.8, and use a 1.4 teleconverter when required. Even then there are plenty of places where the 120-300 with the teleconverter is a bit short, even from the track side of the fence (and a few places where a 300mm lense would leave the image filled with the petrol tank of a bike).

I am not sure what your budget is, but I would be tempted to go with your original idea of a 70-200 (but personally I would save the money and go for the Sigma) and a teleconverter, and consider a longer lens in the future.

All the best

Keith

Gear List

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
3,730 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2008 04:42 |  #15

IS will set you back an extra £200-400, monopod will be £30-50. Non of my lenses have IS and I seem to manage o.k.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

11,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whats Best Lens For Motorsport/Newbie
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.