Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 29 Feb 2008 (Friday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for some C&C. Baby Pic's.

jde95tln
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 29, 2008 02:58 |  #1

Here are two of the best shot's of my 5 month old from my XTi that I got about a week and a half ago. I really like these two, but think that they probably need to be cropped at the very least. Any suggestions?

No. 1

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2061/2294227362_1cf8789387_b.jpg

No.2
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/2281069323_bdf480f7ac_b.jpg

The second one I was shooting in continuous mode and was very lucky to catch this pose but I still think it could be better, maybe I'm being too critical.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jde95tln/ (external link)
http://jds-photography.deviantart​.com/ (external link)
Rebel XTi, 430EX, Canon 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 75-300mm.

sponsored links
PG07
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Feb 29, 2008 05:56 |  #2

Beautiful little bub.:)
I did a little edit on these I hope you like.
B&W conversions ,sharpening of the eyes and a little cropping.
The pics look a little out of focus (OOF) but some prefer this with baby pics anyway;).
Nice work.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

cdmonkey
Goldmember
1,819 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 29, 2008 06:10 |  #3

cute pics, a little extra pp and it will really help. here is a quick edit.

Carl

HOSTED PHOTO

www.carldavisphoto.co.​uk (external link)
www.www.thelittlebigpi​cture.co.uk (external link)
facebook (external link)

jde95tln
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 29, 2008 06:13 |  #4

That looks really good. Thanks for the feedback. How did you "Sharpen the eyes". Do you just select the Iris using the selection tool and only sharpen that part? Yeah, I realize they are OOF, had to use auto focus because she was moving so much, and it didn't seem to get clear shots. I tried some BW conversions on my laptop, but hadn't tried the sharpening of the eyes, I like that effect.
Thanks again.

cdmonkey
Goldmember
1,819 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 29, 2008 06:21 |  #5

An easy way to do it is to duplicate the layer sharpen everything the erase it all except the eyes.
other way would be to select just that area, feather the selection a little then sharpen.

I often duplicate a the layer then run a highpass filter then set that layer to overlay, the you can erase/blend that layer in without it changing the main image.

Carl

www.carldavisphoto.co.​uk (external link)
www.www.thelittlebigpi​cture.co.uk (external link)
facebook (external link)

HeatherSik
Goldmember
3,434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 29, 2008 06:35 |  #6

Cute photo's.. You have had lots of nice edits done on them already. :) I really like the one with the baby girl by herself.. She has beautiful eyes..

Heather S.
"We look at the world and see what we have learned to believe is there. We have been conditioned to expect... but, as photographers, we must learn to relax our beliefs.
Links: Website (external link)| Blog (external link)

PG07
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Feb 29, 2008 07:21 |  #7

jde95tln wrote in post #5019083 (external link)
That looks really good. Thanks for the feedback. How did you "Sharpen the eyes". Do you just select the Iris using the selection tool and only sharpen that part? Yeah, I realize they are OOF, had to use auto focus because she was moving so much, and it didn't seem to get clear shots. I tried some BW conversions on my laptop, but hadn't tried the sharpening of the eyes, I like that effect.
Thanks again.

"There are many roads to the same destination" I did the sharpening on your little ones eyes by selecting the iris with the 'quick selection tool' then feathered by 1. I then sharpened 100% with a radius of 2.
Try using just the center focus (one red dot in the middle) to get the eyes in focus it is a lot better than the 9 point focus(dots everywhere) for these types of photos:)

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

ag93
294 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 29, 2008 07:26 |  #8

you got some great edits here Are you shooting in raw? the first one needs a white balance adjustment. very cute baby =)

jde95tln
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 29, 2008 23:54 |  #9

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

cdmonkey: I really like how you fixed her skin tone. I didn't shoot these pic's in RAW so the white balance is off due to the various different light sources in the room that I took that shot in, but it looks like you corrected that very well. Curious how you nailed her skin tone that well.

HeatherSik: Thanks for kind words. My wife and I love her eye too, I try and get good shots of her eyes as much as possible they are so blue.

PG07: Thanks for the tip on focusing, I'm going to have to try that.

ag93: Haven't played around with RAW much, but from what I've been reading in these threads and in some books I'm going to. Especially if I take anymore pictures in the living room like the one where it's just the baby. She was lit mostly from a lamp to her front right that uses a CFL and some light from the kitchen that has regular light bulbs and a florescent light. So I would either have to do a custom white balance, which there was no time for if I was going to capture the moment, or shoot in RAW and fix it later. So from no on I'm shooting RAW.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and ideas.

sponsored links

1,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for some C&C. Baby Pic's.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.