Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens coat advertising on your Hood?

Paul ­ S
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2008 09:16 |  #1

Is there any body that will produce custom printed lens hood covers ? May a great way to advertise at a sporting event.

Profile / Maxpreps (external link)  (external link)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2008 09:45 |  #2

Are you thinking in terms of something like a silk-screened "sleeve" that could slide over the hood? Or are you looking for somethng more permanent?

Actually, why even go that route for something you can probably do easily enough yourself. If your hood is large enough you've got a pretty decent sized "workspace" then. You can make your own "wrap" in PS. Here is what I would do... this way it will cost little, turn out the way you want and be ready when you want it ;).

Measure the circumfrance of the hood and how deep it is. I'm just pulling this out of the air, but on something like the hood on the 70-200 f/2.8 IS that may translate into a rectangle that is perhaps 3" x 9".... mind you I'm just guessing. Think in terms of prints then, and this print will be 3x9. Create your image, cut to size, fashion it into a tube, and slide it over the hood, attaching it in a variety of ways.

BINGO! :D You now have your hood ad and don't need to pay anybody to do it. Hope this helps - Stu

Paul S wrote in post #5012653 (external link)
Is there any body that will produce custom printed lens hood covers ? May a great way to advertise at a sporting event.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

HoRnYTuRbO
985 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2008 09:47 |  #3

get stickers made and go crazy with them

-Vinny

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2008 09:53 |  #4

That would probably be easiest, fastest and pretty cheap too.... another do-it-yourselfer....

Avery, Xerox and all the other label makers produce crack and peel 8 1/2 x 11 stock that can easily be purchased at Staples and many other stores. Again, create your art in PS to whatever size you want, load the label stock in your inkjet and print to your heart's content. When it's finished, cut to size and stick it on. It'll just be a little messy when you decide to take them off. - Stu

HoRnYTuRbO wrote in post #5012801 (external link)
get stickers made and go crazy with them

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 28, 2008 09:58 |  #5

I like this idea...............it would be a good way to advertise while I walk around shooting events. Gotta get a sticker made!

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2008 10:01 |  #6

Yup, a walking shooting billboard.... just so long as it's artistic :D.

stathunter wrote in post #5012851 (external link)
I like this idea...............it would be a good way to advertise while I walk around shooting events. Gotta get a sticker made!

GEAR LIST

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 28, 2008 14:01 |  #7

i advertise on all my hoods, just get someone to do some vinyl stickers, easy

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2008 14:05 |  #8

Is that permanent adhesive on the vinyl or does it come off pretty cleanly if you wish to change? Sounds interesting.

CIDER wrote in post #5014295 (external link)
i advertise on all my hoods, just get someone to do some vinyl stickers, easy

GEAR LIST

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 28, 2008 17:52 |  #9

its just text ill see if i can dig up a shot, its just vinyl letters so get under it with a finger nail and it comes off.

vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

Aaagogo
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2008 21:02 |  #10

good idea, but use a laserjet... inkjet runs if you get a drop of water on it

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4655753&pos​tcount=953 Your 1st 10,000 images are your worst
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2008 21:07 |  #11

Anyone want to rent space on my hood?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 29, 2008 00:14 |  #12

mine isnt ink its actual vinyl and the guy uses a plotter to cut the lettering, so no chance of running

this is who i use http://www.vinylsticke​rs.com.au (external link) obviously in australia but you get the idea of what the material is.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 29, 2008 06:13 |  #13

Good suggestion cider - typically any signage place could come up with something to order. Graphics driven vinyl plotter/cutters have been around for a while and typically anything designed on screen can be cut in vinyl. The hood would be just like any other signage surface to one of these devices.

CIDER wrote in post #5018121 (external link)
mine isnt ink its actual vinyl and the guy uses a plotter to cut the lettering, so no chance of running

this is who i use http://www.vinylsticke​rs.com.au (external link) obviously in australia but you get the idea of what the material is.

GEAR LIST

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 29, 2008 10:24 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #14

If the glue does not come off when you remove the sticker, which sometimes it doesn't, it just takes a light cleaner to remove.

That's still my main income as I venture into photography. I'm cutting the lettering a graphics for two fire trucks today. Yesterdays job was radio controlled helicopters. ;)

Adobe Streamline is what I use to convert images to eps. AI files can also be imported. They must be solid colors to convert, gradients will not. Logo's, text, design files are best suited at 300dpi around 8". They provide enough information that almost eliminates cleanup of the vectorized image. Standard fonts can simply be typed and cut. Full color can be printed by thermal imaging at a slightly higher price. Here's a sample that was recently done for a local club.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Along with the hood self promotion, how many of you have embroidered jackets or shirts. Screen printing can produce perfect colors for photographs with todays technology. There are numerous ways of self promoting.

BTW, this is more in the lines of educating open minds on what is available, rather than self promotion. ;)

Troy

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 29, 2008 12:23 |  #15

any clothing i wear is embroderred with my business logo and other information, means i can also claim the clothing as a tax right off, my car is also covered with contact and pertenant information as well as local businesses who pay for ad space on the car (only small and ties in well, all money in my pocket.

thanks for the tip about adobe streamline troy i always give jpeg or tiff files as i can never convert eps or AI.

sponsored links

3,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens coat advertising on your Hood?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.