Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Mar 2008 (Sunday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture 2 is great.

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 02, 2008 23:09 |  #1

I have been using the trial version of Aperture 2. I own ver. 1. I had mixed feeling for 1 and was thinking about going to Lightroom. Version 2 runs a lot smoother. On my MBP ver 1 slowed down my mac noticeably. The new version does not slow it down. The interface is great when processing raw files.

Did anyone else find the new version better? Just thought I would share my small finding.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 02, 2008 23:13 |  #2

Just got my copy last week and had hoped to spend a little time with it this weekend. But alas, the honeydo list was just too long. It is noticeably faster, though, even on my Mini. I like the interface improvements, too. Don't care for the new booklet, though.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

evdh
128 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 03, 2008 08:15 |  #3

Yes it is great, and I'm using it for my rawfiles and jpeg files... But it still can't read my DNG files created by VueScan. And Ligthroom can read them... So I first have to convert them to jpeg with ARC.
But yes it is realy a great tool for handling photos.

Everyone is very occupied with tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
Just today, we forget to be happy. Every day again, be happy, today, be happy...
The sunset was wonderfull...
e-vdh.be (external link) | info@e-vdh.be (external link) | GearList | new GearList (external link)

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2008 12:37 |  #4

How do you all like Aperture 2 compared to Adobe Lightroom? I just made the switch from pc to mac and am trying to decide if I should buy lightroom or aperture 2 for it.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 03, 2008 13:26 |  #5

I've not tried LR since an early beta. You can download trials of both and see which suits your style the best. Aperture relies on the gpu for many of its tasks, while LR doesn't. Which Mac do you have?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 03, 2008 15:50 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #6

I really like 2.0. On my 20" iMac (early 2006) with Core Duo 2.0, it's definitely more responsive than 1.5.6, though if the Highlights and/or Shadow sliders are used, I can still get a spinning ball at times. With the old version, I really can't use full screen mode, but it's what I use now.

And the new features clearly work. I now use all of these regularly - repair brush, recovery, black points, definition, vibrancy. Less need to mess with Levels manually.

The interface is definitely cleaner too.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2008 18:36 as a reply to  @ rkkwan's post |  #7

I used LightRoom on my pc and absolutely loved it. I used it for raw processing and a temporary image library.

I just got a 20in iMac with a duo core 2.4ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram.

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 03, 2008 19:43 |  #8

I love it too, especially the new retouch brush, recovery slider, vignette/devignette, and better sharpening algorithm. I basically don't need CS3 for anything now, other than Genuine Fractals.

Much faster than 1.5.x, which was already fast enough for me.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2008 21:10 |  #9

I just downloaded the trial version of Aperture 2. I like it but so far I am not really sold on the product. I think I am going to end up buying LightRoom again. I liked being able to grab the histogram in LR and adjust it and also being able to play with a graph of the curves....

It does have some cool merits though. I just don't think its the program for me. I am going to give it a few days though.

blammert
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 03, 2008 21:28 |  #10

I've downloaded the trial version but its crashing so frequently I can barely get anything done! There's an update available today (2.0.1) but that hasn't helped me.

Lightroom may be the way to go. It would also allow me to run the same program on both my Mac and PC. It sounds like from the Adobe site that one license could be used for both:

From the Adobe FAQ (external link):
"Subject to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Photohop Lightroom (the “Software”) is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy. Photoshop Lightroom is sold as multi-platform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows."

Bumgardern - you may not have to buy a 2nd copy if you already own one?

| 350D | 18-55 Kit | 50 1.8 | Sigma 70-300 | 24-105 4L USM IS | Manfrotto Mono & Tripod | Tamrac Adventure 7 | Canon 430EX | (2) Nikon SB25 | (2) Midwest Photo Strobist Kits | 16 Channel Ebay Triggers | Canon S30 | Canon SD870IS

4g63photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 03, 2008 22:46 |  #11

Thats great you can use lightroom on either platform.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 04, 2008 10:19 |  #12

Can someone in this thread comment on this other thread?
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=463743

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

ChrisBlaze
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 10, 2008 01:23 |  #13

is cataloging easier in A2

Canon 1D Mark II N/5D Mark III/ 6D/ 7D /85mm f1.2L Mk1/ 24-70 f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM/ 100mm Macro f/2.8

Honolulu POTN

col4bin
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 10, 2008 12:16 |  #14

I made the switch from LR to Aperture 2. The interface is much easier and less clunky. I can get much better results straight out of Aperture than I can with LR. Less need for me to use CS3.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 10, 2008 13:45 |  #15

davidfig wrote in post #5045844 (external link)
Can someone in this thread comment on this other thread?
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=463743

David,

Let me start by saying I am not a pro, nor do I do weddings. That said, making a photo book in Aperture 2 is extremely easy. You can pick there standard layout and add, remove or replace their standard page layout with ones that you choose. Once you get the hang of it, you should be able to produce a book layout with pics in no time at all.

I have no idea what the print quality is like, but since I have one put together already, I think I will give it a go and order it in the next week or so. I also understand that you can make the book and save it as a pdf. This can then be e-mailed to other companies for printing if you do not like the Apple quality - I think they are using Kodak printers. I forget where I read this, but some google searches will find it for you and the companies that can print it as well.

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

sponsored links

2,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture 2 is great.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.