Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Graphic tablet suggestion

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 06, 2008 14:22 |  #16

Wacom bought Graphire.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 06, 2008 14:24 |  #17

cosworth wrote in post #5061389 (external link)
Wacom bought Graphire.

Not really, Graphire was always a Wacom product.
Graphire used to be the name of there "budget line" as opposed to the intous which had been previously marketed only towards high end and pros.

It simply looks like they renamed there budget line "bamboo".

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 06, 2008 15:06 |  #18

Yeah, I thought it was a seperate tablet series for some time but I look now and it was just clever branding:

http://www.wacom.com/h​istory.html (external link)

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 06, 2008 15:44 as a reply to  @ cosworth's post |  #19

Intou3 and love it. One of my friends had this tablet in his studio. I got to play with it for a few and fell in love. I actually got mine at Mac Authority for less than they sell them at BH or Adorama.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 06, 2008 15:52 |  #20

cosworth wrote in post #5061655 (external link)
Yeah, I thought it was a seperate tablet series for some time but I look now and it was just clever branding:

http://www.wacom.com/h​istory.html (external link)

It was a separate tablet series. Where did you see that it was an actual brand? Or maybe we're just not using the term "brand" the same way.

...Leo

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 06, 2008 16:15 |  #21

Branding and brand are different things. :)

GRAPHIRE! ..... by wacom. (in small letters or on the back)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 06, 2008 21:07 |  #22

cosworth wrote in post #5062088 (external link)
Branding and brand are different things. :)

GRAPHIRE! ..... by wacom. (in small letters or on the back)

I just take that to me that Wacom is the manufacturer and Graphire is the name of the tablet model. As in Mustang by Ford. Is Mustang the brand or is Ford the brand?

BTW, Jason, please explain branding vs brand since I'm in the dark about what the difference is. :|
Thanks.

...Leo

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 06, 2008 22:25 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #23

I moved up to the 6x8 hoping I could get finer control of the pen.
I make smoother lines on it than on the very smallest size.
It is the Graphire.
It is indispensable for PS work IMO.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 07, 2008 12:44 |  #24

When the original Graphires were discontinued and replaced with the Graphire 2, I found a site selling them off CHEAP.
...approx $30.00 US for the 4x5 and approx $50.00 US for the 6x8.

I bought a few.. :mrgreen:

I used to have an old series 1 Intuos ( it used a serial port! :lol: ) 12x9".
The first time I tried the 4x5" graphire for photo editing, I got rid of the large Intuos which had cost nearly 4X new. The size of the hand motions required when using the larger tablet was unneeded extra effort, and the precision is it offers at that size is never really needed for photo editing IMHO. On the very rare occasions that it is, simply zooming in and adjusting brush size compensates for it using a small 4x5" tablet.

I am a strong believer that for tablet for photo editing, less is more in this case.
The large tablets are more useful for drafting and digital paint applications.

IMHO the only sizes that should be considered for photo editing in PSCS is the smallest 4X5 and the 6X8. I use the 6X8 for a dual monitor set up. 4X5 is perfect for a single 21"Monitor IMHO.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Headcase650
Goldmember
1,632 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 07, 2008 16:58 |  #25

I bought the small bamboo fun and think its perfect size, many times I have the working space on the tablet shrunk down to about 1/4th of the tablet. It comes with elements 5, painter essentials 3 and a nick filters applications, If you need the software then it pretty much makes the tablet free. I highly recommend this tablet.

60D, Canon 18-135 IS, Sigma 10-20 hsm, 24-70 2.8 hsm, 70-200 2.8 hsm, 430EX II, and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

mishkin_360
52 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 07, 2008 19:47 |  #26

For some reason I could never really get used to using a tablet. I bought the 12 inch cintiq a month ago and I wish I would've bought one sooner. It's amazing. I work with graphics and such, so I take it to work and back home in my backpack.
http://www.wacom.com/c​intiq/12WX.cfm (external link)

Nice ­ Glass
198 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 11, 2008 01:00 |  #27

I really enjoy using my Cintiq 12".

greenxeyezz
382 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 11, 2008 01:12 |  #28

I would go with the cintiq 12 inch since it is very similar to the smaller tablets that you are using, but with having to work directly on screen rather than looking up.

Myself I am going for their new line of the cintiq 21 inch. only 2000 instead of 2500 which the cintiq has been at for the last 4 years, WOW doesnt lose any value, must be a nice investment, and if you do not like it, SELL!

5D - 85 f/1.2 L - 24-105 f/4.0 L - 70-200 IS f/4.0 L - Nifty Fifty - 430EX - Just Starting Out

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 11, 2008 07:16 |  #29

The cintiq 12, while it seems like a sweet product, is most definetly overkill for this guy's needs. Its a $1000 tablet... the bamboo fun is $100.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

May 07, 2009 09:39 |  #30

PacAce wrote in post #5063696 (external link)
I just take that to me that Wacom is the manufacturer and Graphire is the name of the tablet model. As in Mustang by Ford. Is Mustang the brand or is Ford the brand?

BTW, Jason, please explain branding vs brand since I'm in the dark about what the difference is. :|
Thanks.

Isn't branding what they do to horses, cattle and other livestock?

And man-o-man do I lust after the 21" Cintiq

sponsored links

8,336 views & 0 likes for this thread
Graphic tablet suggestion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.