Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 10 Mar 2008 (Monday) 02:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NeinLives' daily portraits

NeinLives
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 02:22 |  #1

I'm aiming to shoot one portrait a day for, oh, who knows how long? I'm a relative n00b, so I could use constructive criticism. My current gear is the Canon EOS 5D with grip and the 50mm f/1.8. That's pretty much it. No flash or anything yet. I'm looking to add the 135mm f/2L and some high-quality portable lighting gear in the near future.

So, onto the first photograph. This is a pretty girl who works in a coffee shop I frequent. Like most everyone I photograph, I basically just walked up to her and explained my project, then asked if I could take some pictures. And, like most everyone else, she thought the idea a bit strange, became mildly self-conscious, all before consenting to the impromptu shoot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.neinlivez.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
PG07
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Mar 10, 2008 04:00 |  #2

It is a good photo but it looks to have a bit of motion blur. Maybe the ISO is too low and you need to go to a higher ISO thus making shutter speed quicker.
I love the pic a day concept :)

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

paiintballa182
797 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 04:03 |  #3

cute girl, cant wait to see your project unfold and your skills develop

NeinLives
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 11:41 |  #4

PG07 wrote in post #5083758 (external link)
It is a good photo but it looks to have a bit of motion blur. Maybe the ISO is too low and you need to go to a higher ISO thus making shutter speed quicker.
I love the pic a day concept :)

Motion blur? Ugh . . . I think I see it. How frustrating! And I was so sure I had nailed the shot. I don't have the file handy, but I'm pretty sure the info is as follows:

Focal Length: 50mm
F-Stop: f/1.8
Shutter Speed: 1/100 second
ISO: 400

Should I have been able to accomplish that shot without camera shake? Maybe I don't have very steady hands. I guess I could raise the ISO as suggested or, at the very least, practice holding the camera steady. ;-)a What shutter speed should I aim for?

NeinLives
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 12:14 as a reply to  @ NeinLives's post |  #5

Another thought: a friend suggested that the blur may not be camera shake, but rather, the limited depth of field of f/1.8. I'd sooner attribute the softness starting beneath her eyes and increasing downward to that, especially since her eyes and hair are in relatively sharp focus. In fact, you can see individual strands of hair clearly; this would not be the case if motion blur were present.

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 10, 2008 13:26 |  #6

looks pretty cool. a bit red i think.

Try getting a flash. Man 5D ? Nice.. I want one. lol

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 10, 2008 13:27 as a reply to  @ NeinLives's post |  #7

Cropped, took out the distracting light in the background, smudged a little under the eyes, sharpened catchlights. All done in canon photostudio. Any better?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

NeinLives
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 13:34 |  #8

HoosierJoe wrote in post #5086359 (external link)
Cropped, took out the distracting light in the background, smudged a little under the eyes, sharpened catchlights. All done in canon photostudio. Any better?

Interesting changes. Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer the original, with all the stuff in the background, because it helps the viewer know that the subject works in a coffee shop. I do think that, had I decided to crop in closer to the subject, I might have made a selection similar to the one you have suggested. As for the smudge under the eyes, I probably would pass on it, since it seems to have a different, almost airbrushed texture in comparison to the rest of the subject's face. The transition from the smudged area to the non-smudged area is a bit too stark. I may put this technique into practice in the future, utilizing, in addition to the smudge tool, one of Photoshop's feathering tools in order to more subtly blend the textures.

Thanks again for the feedback. This is what I'm looking for, even if I disagree with you; atleast you're helping me to become consciously aware of things I might have otherwise discounted.

NeinLives
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 13:42 |  #9

leninglass wrote in post #5086351 (external link)
looks pretty cool. a bit red i think.

Try getting a flash. Man 5D ? Nice.. I want one. lol

It is a bit warm, isn't it? That's one of the things I like about the picture, because coffee shops tend to have a warm feeling. I also like how the reds (of the background and of her apron, hair, and lips) contrast with the blues of her eyes and t-shirt.

Do you think the reds are overpowering? If so, how might you go about fixing this? If I had to address this, I'd probably use the channel mixer adjustment layer and maybe pull down the reds ever so slightly.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 10, 2008 13:50 |  #10

NeinLives wrote in post #5086434 (external link)
Interesting changes. Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer the original, with all the stuff in the background, because it helps the viewer know that the subject works in a coffee shop. I do think that, had I decided to crop in closer to the subject, I might have made a selection similar to the one you have suggested. As for the smudge under the eyes, I probably would pass on it, since it seems to have a different, almost airbrushed texture in comparison to the rest of the subject's face. The transition from the smudged area to the non-smudged area is a bit too stark. I may put this technique into practice in the future, utilizing, in addition to the smudge tool, one of Photoshop's feathering tools in order to more subtly blend the textures.

Thanks again for the feedback. This is what I'm looking for, even if I disagree with you; atleast you're helping me to become consciously aware of things I might have otherwise discounted.

It was a quickie fix on the eyes. Yes you would have a better fix doing what you describe. Certainly don't do the crop if you are going for a setting shot that needs the background for context. Didn't know that's what you were going for. I probably wouldn't have used f1.8 for the shot if that's what I was going for. But hey, that individual preference.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

HeatherSik
Goldmember
3,434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 10, 2008 13:51 |  #11

Okay, you asked for it.. LOL okay I am kidding I won't be harsh on ya.. This girl is very pretty with amazing eyes.. I do see some blur to the photo and I think it is due to the shallow DOF... f/3.2 - 4.0 would have been pretty good for a shot like this.. With shooting wide open at 1.8 the dof is so shallow that you have her eyes focused but anything not at the same distance as her eyes in front or in back will start to show the blur.. Make sense?? When doing a shot like this try iso 400 and use the AV setting and shoot 1 shot at 2.8 then 3.5 and 4.0.. If the shutter speed gets to slow then set the iso at 800.. Good luck..

Heather S.
"We look at the world and see what we have learned to believe is there. We have been conditioned to expect... but, as photographers, we must learn to relax our beliefs.
Links: Website (external link)| Blog (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 13:54 as a reply to  @ HoosierJoe's post |  #12

Cute shot. If you want folks to toss their plays into the ring.lol.you could invoke the Image Editing in your User profile...:cool:

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

NeinLives
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 14:00 |  #13

Flo wrote in post #5086596 (external link)
Cute shot. If you want folks to toss their plays into the ring.lol.you could invoke the Image Editing in your User profile...:cool:

Done. :-)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 14:12 as a reply to  @ NeinLives's post |  #14

Lol.that was quick! It is a formal thing done here, in respect to the poster....many don't like their photos touched...;) Sometimes seeing instead of reading helps more...lol.or not!:p

Seeing as its on now.(whistling)...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …9/emmaloudawg/k​atelyn.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

A little desaturation of the colors..slight shadow. I think you are going to have a great time and met some interesting folks doing this!

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

NeinLives
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2008 14:14 |  #15

Flo wrote in post #5086711 (external link)
Lol.that was quick! It is a formal thing done here, in respect to the poster....many don't like their photos touched...;) Sometimes seeing instead of reading helps more...lol.or not!:p

Seeing as its on now.(whistling)...
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …9/emmaloudawg/k​atelyn.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

A little desaturation of the colors..slight shadow. I think you are going to have a great time and met some interesting folks doing this!

I can't help but smile at how ominous you make image editing permission seem: "Seeing as its on now(whistling)..." :-D

sponsored links

1,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
NeinLives' daily portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.