Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 09 Mar 2008 (Sunday) 17:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before and After #31

ZeroOne86
580 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 09, 2008 17:08 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new tricks when it comes to editing.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture that I choose, resized to exactly 800 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being resized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 48hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read (Before and After #32.)

This is all about having fun so have at it!!!

This game will end on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 6:00PM EST. Took this in GA last year and I thought I change it up a bit, we had the cute fish. We'll try some cute lions even though might take your face off. :D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i263.photobucke​t.com …/ii149/ZeroOne6​12/zoo.jpg (external link)

Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm, 50mm f1.8, 430 EX

sponsored links
BitterSweet
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 09, 2008 20:14 |  #2

OK so I did alot to this picture. Alot more then I thought I was going to.

-Cropped the picture to focus more on the lions and to take away the fence/brick wall.
-Added a Pro Contrast filter

-Duplicated that layer and add a Midnight (sepia) filter to give it that fantasy look and to brighten up the lions.

- Did a High pass filter layer but then erased parts of it. Mainly around the front leaves and the back rocks in the right corner. Another way to focus more on the lions. Also lowered the opacity down.

-Added a new layer set on overlay to add color to the lion, ground and trees. Lowered the opacity on that too.

-Added sun rays under the tree so it looks like the lion is basking in the sun. then added yellow to them.

- Added a vignette to more focus on the lions and also add to the fantasy type look.

- Added border and brightened.

http://i258.photobucke​t.com …bittersweetphot​o/lion.jpg (external link)

Tracey McCloskey
www.Bitter-Sweet-Photography.com (external link)
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphy (external link)

suzyb
358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2008 11:21 |  #3

The first thing I did was select the tree on the left, copy it to a layer and then move it in to cover the second lion and shrink the size of the cave but still frame the picture somewhat.

Everything else I did was pretty standard.
I cropped it to make it a portrait orientation.
Selectively increased the saturation. More yellow on the lion, less in the leaves, a little bit of red to the rocks.
Upped the contrast. Lowered the brightness on everything but the lion.
Burned the ground to the front and left of the rock to darken it up.
Noise reduction.
Sharpening.
Vignette.
Border.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

steve535
784 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 10, 2008 15:42 as a reply to  @ suzyb's post |  #4

nice kitty....
auto levels. picture of willing subject lasso tool inverse then feather 2%,cut and past on new level.scale and distort to liking.contrast -10 of layer. save picture then noiseware luminance plus 35%,color plus 25%. crop to size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

canon 50D | canon 30D | canon 135mm f2 L |
canon 60mm macro | canon 17-55 IS| canon 70-200mm L f4 IS| sigma 10-20mm|a bunch of bags.

BitterSweet
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 10, 2008 15:53 |  #5

steve535 wrote in post #5087420 (external link)
nice kitty....
auto levels. picture of willing subject lasso tool inverse then feather 2%,cut and past on new level.scale and distort to liking.contrast -10 of layer. save picture then noiseware luminance plus 35%,color plus 25%. crop to size.

LOL If that guy gets eaten it's his own fault. I would watch out for the lioness in the corner.

Tracey McCloskey
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphy (external link)

CesarAmbriz
Goldmember
1,348 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 10, 2008 19:51 |  #6

This is what I did.
-Copped, & adjusted levels
-Adjusted exposure, & boosted the contrast.
-Cloned out a lion & the fence.
-Added saturation & that's all.

http://i209.photobucke​t.com …bb50/firu3000/z​oooooo.jpg (external link)

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer.

Spidy
450 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 10, 2008 21:11 as a reply to  @ CesarAmbriz's post |  #7

Not sure if I like this ... but it was fun playing with.

Cropped, adjusted all levels of color.

http://i61.photobucket​.com/albums/h62/Spidy5​005/zoo.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Debi
"Dog's have owners. Cat's have staff"

ZeroOne86
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 11, 2008 18:56 |  #8

Going to close this one up and the winner is
Suzyb - I liked how focused in on the single lion, the crop and how you brought the color in him as well. I know you've been having a hard time picking pictures, but good luck :D

I really like how Bittersweet did hers, but I can't choose her since I'm biased toward her, since she's my wife.

have to give an honorable mention to steve535 for a hilarious take on the picture.

Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm, 50mm f1.8, 430 EX

CesarAmbriz
Goldmember
1,348 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2008 19:00 |  #9

Congrats Suzyb! BTW Bittersweet, yours was awesome.

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer.

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 11, 2008 19:02 |  #10

Nice work Steve....made me literally laugh. Noice Kitty!!!

flickr (external link)

BitterSweet
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 11, 2008 19:05 |  #11

Congrats Suzyb. I hope it's not too hard to find another picture for the next one.

And thanks firu300.

Tracey McCloskey

TheSonofDarwin
618 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 11, 2008 20:14 as a reply to  @ BitterSweet's post |  #12

Congrats guys! I didn't get a chance to try this one, but very well done!

-Justin (external link)

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Mar 11, 2008 21:29 as a reply to  @ TheSonofDarwin's post |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Congrats to all. ... I was too busy to give it a go this time, but I look forward to the next one.

BTW, BitterSweet, how did you get the effect of the rays of sun light?? That was an interesting effect.

Suzyb, I liked yours a lot as well. Good selection!!

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

BitterSweet
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 11, 2008 21:37 |  #14

SilverHCIC wrote in post #5097178 (external link)
Congrats to all. ... I was too busy to give it a go this time, but I look forward to the next one.

BTW, BitterSweet, how did you get the effect of the rays of sun light?? That was an interesting effect.

Suzyb, I liked yours a lot as well. Good selection!!

I duplicated the image layer and put a radial blur filter on it. I had it on zoom and just moved the blur center to the upper left corner. After that I lowered the opacity and erased it in parts I didn't want it. I know there was another way to make sun rays but I couldn't find it but found a tutorial that showed how to do it this way.

Tracey McCloskey

suzyb
358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 11, 2008 21:52 |  #15

Thanks! And thanks for your concern regarding my lack of photos that aren't embarassingly bad. ;) I'll get to that point where I don't NEED to know how to use PS - one of these days.

For the record, ZeroOne, no one will think you're biased for choosing Bittersweet's work. I think we can trust that no money is exchanging hands behind the scenes. :lol: She's very good.

I loved the sun ray effect, too, Bittersweet. I'm going to have to remember to try that!

Next one will be up shortly.

sponsored links

2,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before and After #31
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.