Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 23:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monopod for 1DS MK II with canon 500mm f/4 lens

lankaman
129 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 15, 2008 23:48 |  #1

I hope to do some birding with my new "toys". What will be the best setup using a monopod for this setup. I don't want to get a setup which will collapse and ruin my "toys".
My budget is about $ 800.
I will be walking on creek and river sides and along marshlands.
Any help appreciated.

Canon 1Ds MK II,Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 mm f/4 L IS, Canon 500 mm f/4 L IS, Canon 400mm f/5.6 L, Canon 100mm f/2.8, Canon 100-400mm f 4.5-5.6 L IS, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L II, Gitzo 3530 LSV with Markins Q-Ball M 20, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 II, Canon 180m f/3.5.

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 15, 2008 23:53 |  #2

Why do you want to use a monopod? I would thing that a tripod with a gimbal head would be a much better choice for birds if you want a stable platform for the camera and the heavy lens.

...Leo

ChrisKraftPhoto
169 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 16, 2008 00:01 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #3

I think it really depends on your subjects and how much you will be moving around.

I have found that there are times when a monopod is key; usually when I need to move from place to place and don't have time (or the strength) to collapse a tripod.

However; if you have the need to pan and follow your subjects or if the birds tend to fly a little higher I'd lean towards a tripod.

I have a 600f4 and don't trust using a ballhead on my monopod. I find it very hard to "get the angle" when the birds fly higher than I can tilt my setup. I then have to pickup and try to aim using my arms. That's the times I wish I had my Wimb w/Gitzo setup.

Good luck!

lankaman
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 16, 2008 00:07 |  #4

The areas I am going around sometimes don't have enough stable space to set up a tripod. I would also appreciate any help with tripod setup too (when it is feasible to use a tripod)

Canon 1Ds MK II,Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 mm f/4 L IS, Canon 500 mm f/4 L IS, Canon 400mm f/5.6 L, Canon 100mm f/2.8, Canon 100-400mm f 4.5-5.6 L IS, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L II, Gitzo 3530 LSV with Markins Q-Ball M 20, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 II, Canon 180m f/3.5.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 16, 2008 00:39 |  #5

If a monopod is what you need, then a monopod with a gimbal head, like the Wimberley HD200, would be ideal for birds. Both Bogen and Gitzo make some pretty good monopods (and tripods). Bogen makes a swivel head, for use with a monopod, in place of a gimbal head, but I wouldn't trust it for use with a 500 f/4 lens.

For a tripod setup, I'd recommend one of a 3- or 5-series Gitzo tripods.

...Leo

Bubble
Goldmember
3,382 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 16, 2008 01:37 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

i have the same set up and i use GM-3550 Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber Monopod with Induro DM-23 ball head. I do a lot of hiking with this combo.

Canon 5D II, 7D | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 24-105L | 50L | 85L II |  iMac 27 | Redrock Micro DSLR Cinema Bundle | Elinchrom Ranger RX-AS Kit| Elinchrom Digital Style 1200RX/600RX | Turbo SC |

gymell
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 17, 2008 15:01 |  #7

I have a Gitzo 5540 which works fine with my 1D Mk III and 500 f/4. The Bogen swivel head won't support the 500. I just use a RSS B2-Pro/L clamp directly on the monopod. I also have a tripod with a Wimberley head, but the monopod comes in handy when portability is an issue. For example, when I'm out on birding excursions with a group, riding in cramped quarters (like on a bus for van) but want to have my camera with me on the off chance I'll get a shot (hard to do in a group of birders, but it's usually worth a try.) Or sometimes I'll use it in my back yard for convenience. Otherwise I'll break out the tripod and Wimberley.

-Liz
My online gallery (external link) and Live Streaming Feeder Cam (external link)
Help native birds - discourage house sparrows! (external link)
Minnesota Master Naturalist (external link) - "Explore, Teach, Conserve"

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 5 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Mar 17, 2008 15:51 |  #8

I use a very affordable Manfrotto Monopod that was approx $100.00, solid aluminum.. no fuss.
If you want a head on it, no need for a big ball head, get a tilt only head.
The Manfrotto Bogen most certainly will hold the 500mm, I use it often. It's Approx $30.00 and it is even recommended for this purpose by the makers of the most substantial ball heads on Earth!;

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com/tripods/03.html (external link)

EDIT: Since the time this was written many far superior tilt only heads have been introduced. Starting with the RRS offering, now Kirk, Sirui, and others have joined the fray. i now use the affordable SIRUI L10 and would agree with others that I was asking far too much of the Mnafroto.

If you plan to use a QR system (recommended) there is only Arca to look at, so the RRS clamp or one from Kirk, Wimberly etc, is the way to go.
Also consider replacing the foot of the 500mm with one that has the Arca QR machined right in,. rather than adding a lens plate.

What on earth did you plan on getting for $800.00? :)
Seriously, I use the Monpod lot of the time, but not as often as the tripod. Having Both available is best :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 6 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 17, 2008 16:02 |  #9

-=The 500mm f/4L IS Accessories List=-

Here's the short list; (with links in blue)

Canon extenders 1.4X (external link) and 2X Teleconverters (external link)

Gitzo GT3532 Carbon Fiber tripod (external link) Weight - 4.14 lbs

Full Wimberly Head (external link) Weight - 3.15 lb

or Markins Q20/Solid Ballhead with Sidekick (external link) Weight - Sidekick: 1.30 lb - Markins: 1.2 lbs

Gitzo 1321 or GS5121LVL Leveling base (external link) Weight - 1.32 lbs

4th Generation Designs replacement foot with Arca mount (external link) Weight - 3 ounces, (Subtract .75lb from lens weight)

Kenisis L511 bag (external link)

Better Beamer Flash Extender (external link)

Wimberly Telephoto Flash Bracket (external link) Weight - 0.60 lb

EF 500mm f/4L IS (V I ) Weight - 8.53lb ( 3870g )
EOS 1D III weight - 3.1 lb.
EOS 5D III weight - 1.89 lb
BG-E11 grip Weight 10.93 oz
LP-E6 battery Weight 2.8 oz.

18.23 pounds with 5DIII
19.44 pounds with 1D III

Complete tripod package with Markins and sidekick = 7.96 lb
Complete tripod package with full Wimberly head = 8.61 lb

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 17, 2008 22:14 |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #5134786 (external link)
I use a very affordable Manfrotto Monopod that was approx $100.00, solid aluminum.. no fuss.
The Manfrotto Bogen most certainly will hold the 500mm, I use it often. It's Approx $30.00 and it is even recommended for this purpose by the makers of the most substantial ball heads on Earth!;

If you plan to use a QR system (recommended) there is only Arca to look at, so the RRS clamp or one from Kirk, Wimberly etc, is the way to go.
Also consider replacing the foot of the 500mm with one that has the Arca QR machined right in,. rather than adding a lens plate.

Seriously, I use the Monpod lot of the time, but not as often as the tripod. Having Both available is best :)

Jake, the Bogen 3232 swivel tilt head is rated to support only 5.5 lbs. The 500 f/4 is much heavier than that. You're very courageous but I don't think I'd trust my 500 f/4 on that head, at least, not with the monopod slung over my shoulder and the 500 hanging off the back. :|

...Leo

JohnnyG
Worthless twinkle toes fairy
3,719 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 17, 2008 22:34 |  #11

I have the 679B Monopod with the 486RC2 Ballhead. The Ballhead support 13.2 pounds and the Monopod a lot more. The 13.2 pounds on the head should be more than adequate for your camera and lens.

I've been using this combo for over a year and it works great. I use it for my 100-400. A monopod is really easy to move around and set up. It gives a lot of support once you get used to it. I don't use the ballhead much, just tilt the mono pod.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 100-400IS L, 24-105 L[COLOR=black][FONT=&qu​ot] IS, 50mm f/1.4, Canon 430EX/580EX II, Kenko 1.5X, Epson R1900, Manfrotto 679B Monopod, 3021BPRO tripod, 808RC4 Head, 486RC2 Ballhead

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:06 |  #12

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …d_with.html#got​o_itemInfo (external link)

Can't beat it for rugged construction but it is heavy. I find it fuctional and the quick release head is nice. If you can find the same stability in a lighter Monopod it would probably be worth the extra money.

Trique Daddi

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,951 posts
Gallery: 517 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 17, 2008 23:15 |  #13

With $800 budget for a monopod (unless you decide to go with a tripod), I'd seriously consider Gitzo GM-3550 (what I have) or its 5 series cousin and get yourself a long metal, interchangeable spike that would help "walking on creek and river sides and along marshlands."

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

gymell
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 18, 2008 08:59 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #5134786 (external link)

That same link on the RSS website recommends that for big glass you don't use the swivel head, calling it "too wimpy for really big glass". They recommend instead using a B2-Pro/L clamp and mounting the lens directly to that. I took their advice and it works great. I personally wouldn't take a chance mounting an 8.5 lb lens to a head that's only rated for 5.5 lb.

I second the recommendation on the replacement foot, I have the Kirk LP-53 (external link) and really like it.

-Liz
My online gallery (external link) and Live Streaming Feeder Cam (external link)
Help native birds - discourage house sparrows! (external link)
Minnesota Master Naturalist (external link) - "Explore, Teach, Conserve"

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 18, 2008 09:02 |  #15

PacAce wrote in post #5137369 (external link)
Jake, the Bogen 3232 swivel tilt head is rated to support only 5.5 lbs. The 500 f/4 is much heavier than that. You're very courageous but I don't think I'd trust my 500 f/4 on that head, at least, not with the monopod slung over my shoulder and the 500 hanging off the back. :|

Fair enough,. I do know that I am only one of many that use it this way successfully.
And I definitely feel it is a better solution than a small ball head that many also use despite the ratings.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

9,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monopod for 1DS MK II with canon 500mm f/4 lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.