Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do i need to shoot RAW for HDR ?

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2008 19:55 |  #1

I always shoot in JPEG mode and i don't want to use RAW, I'm just wondering can i make HDR images with JPEG's ?

Could they come out as good as any RAW HDR?

i don't have a HDR program yet.. not sure which one to get.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

sponsored links
loony33
205 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 20, 2008 20:46 |  #2

Depends on your purpose.
If all you want is to have a wider dynamic range, like a properly exposed sky and a properly exposed face, you can just use photoshop to blend the images without need for HDRing. Check http://luminous-landscape.com …ls/digital-blending.shtml (external link)

It's all in the bag.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 20, 2008 23:06 |  #3

No you don't need to shoot RAW.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 21, 2008 04:07 |  #4

RAWs have a DR of about 9 stops. Properly exposed Jpgs have a DR of about 7 stops. Bracket a RAW +/- 2 stops and you can make an HDR of 13 stops. Bracket a Jpg +/- 3 stops and you also get a HDR of 13 stops. You can't do it automatically with xxxD or xxD Canons which are unfortunately limited to AEB of +/- 2, but you can do it manually.

Elie / אלי

hassiman
130 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2008 12:34 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #5

Try Bracketeer and you will no longer have to worry about dynamic range... in many situations

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,525 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 21, 2008 14:41 |  #6

You can shoot Jpegs. Just bracket the exposure by changing the shutter speed and take enough shots to capture all the highlight and all the shadow. Usually 5 shots or 7 shots +/- 1 stop apart will give you a good looking HDR.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Uhland
864 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 21, 2008 17:18 |  #7

One benifit of RAW is some people like to use them for "action" HDR's
You shoot one RAW image use it to adjust the exposure up and down for the HDR proccess.

Myself, I find shadows and Highlights in CS works just as well if not better giving me more control and its faster. Just thought id toss that bit of info out there.

:mrgreen:https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

PG07
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Mar 22, 2008 01:37 |  #8

Uhland wrote in post #5163369 (external link)
One benifit of RAW is some people like to use them for "action" HDR's
You shoot one RAW image use it to adjust the exposure up and down for the HDR proccess.

Myself, I find shadows and Highlights in CS works just as well if not better giving me more control and its faster. Just thought id toss that bit of info out there.

Thanks for the info:)

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

Superdave26
65 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 22, 2008 02:47 |  #9

Shadows and Highlights is fast but it will not give you the same results as photomatix. Why don't you like to shoot in raw?

Uhland
864 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2008 18:55 |  #10

Superdave26 wrote in post #5165807 (external link)
Shadows and Highlights is fast but it will not give you the same results as photomatix. Why don't you like to shoot in raw?

I will challenge you to that.

Lets take the same RAW image.

You adjust the exposure values of it and use photomatix.

I will take the RAW and use LR and CS3 to process it with shadow and highlights.

We will post our best results and see.
:D

:mrgreen:https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

MLphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 29, 2008 02:00 |  #11

Superdave26 wrote in post #5165807 (external link)
Why don't you like to shoot in raw?

Before i thought i didn't want to becuase of the size of the file witch will be probley around 10mb for 1 picture!

But no i relize why would i shoot RAW if i don't know what to do with the thing, why would i need to shoot raw, i can edit the image better? i edit it in my canon program i got? in photoshop? in HDR program? i can't even get the pictures on my computer form my camera using a usb...

so u seehh1!!

snedigity
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2008 13:31 |  #12

Loony33,

That is a awesome link. thanks

Sony A7RII, 16-35 f2.8 GM, 24-70 f2.8 GM, 85 f1.4 GM

EOS ­ MAN1
655 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 29, 2008 14:17 |  #13

Before i thought i didn't want to becuase of the size of the file witch will be probley around 10mb for 1 picture!

Is that all? 10mb? Most of my files are 250mb when I am done post processing them.

BERNARD BRZEZINSKI
- Photography & Consulting Services
- http://www.bernardbrze​zinski.comexternal link | contact: nfo@bernardbrzezinski.​com

MLphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2008 19:57 |  #14

EOS MAN1 wrote in post #5218078 (external link)
Is that all? 10mb? Most of my files are 250mb when I am done post processing them.

really?...

wow i really need help with this RAW thing...

The best thing is if someone explains to me in baby words, step by step.
WHAT DO I DO AFTER IM DONE TAKING A PICTURE USING RAW.

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2008 06:25 |  #15

whoa 250mb is a huge file for 1 file. You must have some TeraByte action going

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links

3,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do i need to shoot RAW for HDR ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.