Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2008 (Tuesday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple is shipping me stuff --- making the move over!

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2008 10:53 |  #1

Well -- I have vented here how I have grown to hate my Vista setup---- I purchased an iphone a few weeks ago and have really been impressed with Apple since--- well I pulled the plug yesterday and ordered from Apple-- refurbished 24inch 2.4 --iMac.

I was going to order new 20inch but found a good deal on the 24inch 1.4 ($1,499.00)- I also purchased the extended plan for an extra $119
I ordered 4 gigs of ram from Crucial ---- now will need a little help on how to install it.

I am going to pick up Aperture---I have never used it but have read great things about it. Will pick up CS3 for Mac---

I am looking forward to working on a computer that does not give me the blue screen treatment.

Can any Apple addict give me ideas on the best way to set it up to ensure max proformance?
I am considering getting photomechanics software program to help me run through the photos to weed out quickly--- I tend to take tons and now with Vista --takes tons of time for me to rule out the bad ones.

Thanks!

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links
sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 25, 2008 14:02 |  #2

Hi Scott,

You can use Aperture to view and sort all your shots. You can rate the ones you like and turf the ones you don't rate.

Watch the free apple aperture vidoe tutorials:
http://www.apple.com/a​perture/tutorials/ (external link)

If you want to save disk space, I suggest that you turn off Time Machine when you download your picks and sort them. This way you don't have wasted disk space on pics you don't want to keep. When your done deleting the ones you don't want, turn Time Machine back on and it will automatically back up your library....that is of course if you got 2 hard drives or have an existing hard drive you are using.

One other thing to consider if you are using and existing hard drive - you may have to reformat it.

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2008 14:45 |  #3

Hey thanks for the tip sf1 --
I did not realize that aperature was that versitle. I will have to get acqainted with it---I am excited about the move to apple and think this is a step in the right direction for me.
Time Machine must be another apple feature that I have never heard of--- thanks for the tip.
I think that apple reformats the hard drives when they do the refurbish. I hope so!

Scott

Silvertree
105 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 25, 2008 14:50 |  #4

stathunter wrote in post #5188989 (external link)
Hey thanks for the tip sf1 --
I think that apple reformats the hard drives when they do the refurbish. I hope so!

Your machine will be just like any new machine out of the box.

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2008 14:53 |  #5

Thanks silvertree---thats exactly what I expect from apple. I have high hopes for this computer.......it will for me be a vast improvement over my blue screen vista!
I am a pretty heavy computer user and run a few on my desk at one time--- only because I have issues--- it would be nice to have this one be the one trustworthy computer I can count on. We shall see!

Scott

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 25, 2008 16:42 as a reply to  @ stathunter's post |  #6

Check out how much RAM there is on your computer. Refurbished Macs often come with more RAM (and bigger harddrives, though less likely with iMacs) than what they specify.

My refurbished iMac came with 2GB of RAM instead of 1.

I actually have to send the extra RAMs I bought from Crucial back to them.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 25, 2008 17:34 |  #7

stathunter wrote in post #5188989 (external link)

Hi stathunter, no doubt that apple will do that. What I meant was that if you have an existing external hard drive that you are using on you present Vista system, that will probably need to be reformatted.

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 25, 2008 17:36 |  #8

The RAM install is easy...below the power cord, there's a little door thingy that flips open, and the RAM sticks are right there...just plug and play, basically.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

Silvertree
105 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 25, 2008 18:40 as a reply to  @ Ronald S. Jr.'s post |  #9

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I think you will enjoy OS X.

August ­ 15 ­ Photography
423 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2008 22:15 |  #10

sf1 wrote in post #5188749 (external link)
Hi Scott,

You can use Aperture to view and sort all your shots. You can rate the ones you like and turf the ones you don't rate.

Watch the free apple aperture vidoe tutorials:
http://www.apple.com/a​perture/tutorials/ (external link)

If you want to save disk space, I suggest that you turn off Time Machine when you download your picks and sort them. This way you don't have wasted disk space on pics you don't want to keep. When your done deleting the ones you don't want, turn Time Machine back on and it will automatically back up your library....that is of course if you got 2 hard drives or have an existing hard drive you are using.

One other thing to consider if you are using and existing hard drive - you may have to reformat it.

Time Machine should automatically have Aperture in the do not back up list, which Apple recommends. This is not an issue however if you have an external drive for storage, you can set up a Vault in Aperture that will back up all of your images with only one click. The nice thing is when you back up your vault it only updates the changes rather than making a completely new huge file. Do not include Aperture in your Time Machine backup.

Oooooh they have the internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
Cameras and Computers

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 25, 2008 22:24 |  #11

stathunter wrote in post #5187575 (external link)
. Will pick up CS3 for Mac---

Do you already have CS3 for Windows? If you do give Adobe a call, I believe you can trade over the version.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2008 07:30 |  #12

I always import to the same folder then create subfolders, then i exclude that main folder in the time machine preferences. I then backup up my pictures to a drobo that way i have soem redundancy and my time capsule doesnt get full.

You may or may not need to exclude the Apeture library this will explain:

http://docs.info.apple​.com/article.html?artn​um=306853 (external link)

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2008 08:41 |  #13

Thanks for all the help guys.........great info. I am really looking forward to my new machine--- looks like according to FedEx it is now coming Saturday-------crap! The only day I am not going to be around to sign for it! It was origionally coming early next week. Great something else I have to deal with........cant win sometimes.

I picked up Aperture and CS3 for Mac yesterday---

I am considering getting an external hard drive to start fresh with the Mac............I am guessing that external hard drives work on both PC and Mac...is that correct? I did a quick search and it looks like the lacie's are compatable with time machine.

Scott

mc41
357 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 26, 2008 08:43 as a reply to  @ Steve Beck's post |  #14

Why not run the current cs3 in windows via bootcamp ?

Works well and you can have all the plugins you like that wouldnt work within mac

7D
Canon ef 50mm 1.8
Canon 10-22..Canon 18-135
canon 18-55 Cannon 55:200.
Sigma 135:400. Sigma ef 500 dg st

Silvertree
105 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 26, 2008 08:50 |  #15

stathunter wrote in post #5194064 (external link)
I am considering getting an external hard drive to start fresh with the Mac............I am guessing that external hard drives work on both PC and Mac...is that correct? I did a quick search and it looks like the lacie's are compatable with time machine.

Yes, they do. However if you want to share your external between OS X and Windows you need to format it in FAT32, which will limit your partitions to 32GB. That is very easy to do via the disk utility located in the Applications-->Utilities folder. Incidentally, there are a couple other neat utilities in there to check out as well.

sponsored links

4,336 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apple is shipping me stuff --- making the move over!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.