Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20-year old manual lens compatability with Rebel XT?

PinaColadaPirate
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2008 19:50 |  #1

Hello, I'm a total photography idiot errr newb.
When I was young, my grandmother began teaching me about photography, and I took it up as a minor hobby but quit when the cost of developing film became rediculous to quality rendered.

For my birthday this year, she got me an XT body and a adapter from Amazon, under the understanding that it would work with all her lenses she used to use for her T 90.

I am gathering from various sources that this does NOT WORK and I need to repurchase all my (expensive, that I cannot afford) lenses. Or, that I need many varied expensive adapters to use these lenses, and even then, they will "never be the same".
Needless to say, I am both heartbroken and sick to my stomach.

Here are the lenses that I have, to my understanding (I am reading what it says on the inner part of the rim, as I don't really understand what to call these lenses, I understand only what they do, so I hope I call them by their correct names. Please pardon me, who knows nothing about anything :()

I have:
Sigma Mirror-Telephoto 1:8 F=600 mm
52mm Vivitar 70-210 mm 1:4.4 MC Macro Focusing Zoom
Canon Lens FD 50mm 1: 1.8
Canon Macro Lens FD 50mm 1: 3.5

and I have another no-name lens that looks like the smaller non-macro 50, but it rattles when I shake it, so maybe its broken. I think one of them was.

Help. please. Very scared SLR virgin. Very scared. :(

sponsored links
440roadrunner
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 29, 2008 19:56 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I assume you are referring to lenses you have which fit the old Canon FD/FL mount?
There are two possibilities, both "bad." You can buy import adapters without glass in them, which allow you to use FD lenses for closeup work--they will not focus to infinity.
You can buy adapters with a lens in them that will allow FD lenses to focus to infinity, but it's questionable as to whether it's worth the trouble....The picture quality is affected by the quality of the lens in the adapter
There are some other options. You can use Pentax/ Yashica so called M42 screw mount, you can use Pentax bayonet mount, Contax, and a few others. Also, some of the Tamron Adaptall mount lenses aren't bad for the money

2-40D's, 30D, Xt, EOS-3, Elan7, ElanII 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-55IS 2.8, Sig 12-24 EX DG 4.5
Mamiya M645 1000S, 45mm 2.8, 80mm 1.9, 110mm 2.8 + 2x extender

Canon ­ Soldier
..."kind of like Zooms"?
803 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2008 19:59 |  #3

id say its not worth all the hassle. Just buy a few cheap lenses if you don't need the best IQ, like the 75-300 for telephoto, kit with or without IS, or some of the cuper cheap 3rd party lenses. Its not that big of a deal IMO, unless those were all super good lenses.

Na, just kidding, you are still a loser.
^^ If you higlight this you will be cool ^^

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 29, 2008 19:59 as a reply to  @ 440roadrunner's post |  #4

yea, the T90 was one of the last models to use the FD mount. you'll need EF lenses to use with your XT unless you buy an adapter.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

PinaColadaPirate
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2008 20:02 as a reply to  @ 440roadrunner's post |  #5

Yes, I think thats what I"m referring to. I don't speak jargon very well yet, but these lenses fit my T 90 and T 70 without adapters.

Here is the adapter I bought for the Xt - http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B000YA6KL4 (external link)

I mostly work up close, macro shots of this and that. But, sometimes, of course, I would like to use my big sigma like I used to for focusing in close of things far away. I used to take pictures of tigers so nicely that you'd think I was sitting next to one.

So, there is no real way to use these with an XT in such a way that I would get comparable quality to the kind I am used to when using them with my T 70 film camera? I should expect to always have focusing issues, light issues, and thats if it connects correctly at all?

tiziano
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 29, 2008 20:51 |  #6

You already have the camera, the lenses and the adapter.
Go out and shoot. I am sure you will have fun, and it will take a while until your skills will reach the limits of the equipement. And when that will eventually happen, you will be in the position to decide what to do next.

Edit:
By the way, I enjoy using some 50 years old lenses on my Canon cameras.

Tiziano
Gear list

PinaColadaPirate
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2008 20:54 as a reply to  @ tiziano's post |  #7

While I agree, I want to be confident that everything will work as well as they have for the T 70. I understand I won't be using the XT to its full capability with all its features and auto's that I'm sure it has... I just keep getting so many mixed messages. Some say it will work as well as the digital lenses, but I have to autofocus. Thats the best response I've gotten and its the onet hat got me "into this mess" and the worst is that it will NEVER work and all my photos will be dark unless I'm in bright sunlight. And even then, its futile.

I just wish I knew the right answer before I get all this on the 8th of april and find out I own a very shiny paperweight until I can get the 100 or so to get a 50mm basic cheapo lens for it :(

tiziano
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 29, 2008 21:08 as a reply to  @ PinaColadaPirate's post |  #8

Stop being sad, and start being happy. You have a new camera and 4 lenses.
You will have to focus manually.
You will have to set the aperture manually.
Your camera will meter just fine, unless you mess up, and your images will not be dark. Remember to use Av mode, and to check that the time the camera sets is smaller then the reverse of the focal lens: if you are using a 50 mm lens, time has to be 1/50 or smaller. If the amount of light is not enough, increase the ISO. You will have no issues at the zoo, in day light, except with the Sigma Mirror-Telephoto 600 mm, which requires a tripod and some practice.
Have fun!

Tiziano
Gear list

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2008 22:55 as a reply to  @ tiziano's post |  #9

I certainly wouldn't suggest in buying them today but since you have these lenses already try them out and have fun. Hence the digital possibilities (one can delete or save).
Sure as hell I'm glad I have kept my Canon 500mm reflex lens from 1981 but it's the ONLY thing I still use today. Ideal for static subjects but darn difficult to handle. On a good weather day I use it handhold with good results but it doesn't happen often. Needs a little post processing to tweak the right light, contrast and colour balance.
But be certain that you'll find yourself wanting for "today's lenses" that bring out the XT to its best performance.
Here a shot of the moon with the reflex lens and the 30d on a tripod.
Good luck,
Greetings from Ghent,
Alain,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

1,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
20-year old manual lens compatability with Rebel XT?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.