Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Mar 2008 (Friday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best photography program in Toronto

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 28, 2008 15:48 |  #1

I did my homework and did some Googling and forum search and I came down to the following 3 colleges:

- Sheridan
- Humber
- Ryerson

In the POTN forums I heard lots of praise about Sheridan College being the best school for photography in Canada; but I heard in person the same about Humber and Ryerson. I am a Sheridan COllege alumni (from Computer Programmer), so going back there will be familiar to me; while I studied there I always heard about how great the Animation School was but never heard anything about Photography, hence I have my doubts.

Any fellow POTNers want to give me a hand and express your opinions? If you took courses at one of these 3 colleges your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

sponsored links
telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 28, 2008 20:41 |  #2

I keep reading Sheridan is the best option, yet the curriculum in Humber looks more interesting. Any comments?

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 28, 2008 22:43 |  #3

I know one Sheridan grad and he rates the curriculum very highly, but would also tell you it's a lot of hard work. I have heard from numerous sources it is VERY heavily skewed to commercial although I have no first hand experience.

I couldn't enroll in a F/T program, nor did I want to, so I opted for picking up the two photography certificates Mohawk College offer, Applied Photography & Art Photography certificates. They are CE certificates and totally attainable working a F/T job.
http://www.mohawkcolle​ge.ca …ve___Applied_Ar​ts1990.pdf (external link)

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

notapro
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 28, 2008 23:04 |  #4

From my understanding, some programs focus more on making you ready for the professional world of photography, while others are strictly about the art, and I'm sure there is quite a range of in-betweens. So I don't know that anyone could soundly say that one college or another is the best for everyone and anyone. Look closely at the curriculum and decide which one will give you the tools and skills you want to have at the end. Maybe Humber is better for you if the curriculum is more appealing to you.

One thing Ryerson offers is the ability to impress. it's generally seen as a very difficult school to get into with a solid and demanding curriculum. sheridan and humber will not offer you that.

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer  (external link)| My Blog (external link)

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 29, 2008 07:31 |  #5

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, I willgive it a shot to Humber first, starting this May but if things don't look promising I will have a look at Ryerson and Sheridan more carefully...

Rafael T.

Blender7
206 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2008 09:08 |  #6

I didn't know Mohawk had a photography course. I hate Mohawk though it's a stupid school so don't come. Stick with Sheridan.

---------------
30D + 50/1.8 +18-55 + 420EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nickhammondroxm​ysox/ (external link)

Zvon
102 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 29, 2008 10:43 as a reply to  @ Blender7's post |  #7

I'm currently taking the CE courses at Humber, they have some very talented teachers with substantial background teaching you, which is great. I don't know much about the FT program, but I can say I'm quite happy with the CE courses so far.
Humber is a pretty grimy school as it's quite old, so far the equipment hasn't been very new, we were using studio lights that must have been 200 years old, but they did work haha

Sheridan also is very reputable and I don't think you'll have a problem with them - they are probably the most respected school in Toronto area for arts and such. For a full time program I would suggest Sheridan.

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 29, 2008 13:20 |  #8

I was thinking of taking Continuinng Education (CE) courses at either Sheridan or Humber at night. I cannot enroll to full time programs due to my day job. After all photography is a hobby and passion for me; I do not pretend it to be my career per say, but who knows.

So ZVON, it looks like I will be taking your same courses in Humber. I know that Humber has older equipment and that they are more Nikon oriented (they use D200 and D300), and Sheridan is more Canon oriented and have nicer lights and new equipment. I really don't care much about this since I already have nice equipment of my own, and they both allow you to use it in the classes.

Humber Certificate in Photographic Techniques:
- 6 courses to get the certificate
- 2 mandatory courses (Digital Photography 1 and 2)
- 4 elective courses (I like Portrait Photography 1, 2,3, Photographic Lighting, Fashion Photographer)

Sheridan Commercial Photography Certificate
- 10 courses to get the certificate
- 4 mandatory (Photography Digital Basic, Intermediate, Advanced and Theory and History of Photography)
- 6 elective courses (I like Picturing People, Portraiture and Algonquin Digital Workshop; I don't care much about Wedding Photography so it will be hard to chose the other 3).

So the PROs of Sheridan for me:
- I am an alumni there so I am familiar with the college
- Davis campus is the closest from home
- Cheaper individual courses
- Better equipment and Canon oriented

CONs of Sheridan:
- Trafalgar campus is quite far away from my home (and it's sure I will need to take some courses there)
- 10 courses to get the certificate which means more money at the end
- Only 3 out of 6 electives sound appealing to me, plus 1 compulsory (History of Photography) sounds like a very empirical course.

PROs of Humber:
- 6 courses to get the diploma so cheaper at the end.
- I like all the electives (I would even have to decide 2 between Lighting, Portraiture 3 and Fashion Photographer)
- Closer than Trafalgar campus.

CONs of Humber:
- Older equipment and Nikon oriented.
- Farther than Davis campus.
- More expensive individual courses.
- A little bit less reputation than Sheridan in the Photography program (but this could be for the full time diplomas and not the CE certificates).

So having evaluated all the PROs and CONs, I decided to give Humber a shot. I talked to the program coordinator and even if they promote Nikon more, he said I am welcome to bring my Canon 40D and learn with it (there is no way I am switching to the darks side just for the courses..LOL).

Sheridan might have a more recognized full time program for photography but CE courses might be different. Like I said having being an ex-alumni there and having been in full time and CE courses I can attest that the quality of teachers you get from full time programs to CE courses is night and day; so that made it easier for me to decide upon Humber.

Rafael T.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 29, 2008 13:56 |  #9

Rafael, I think for CE courses the concern shouldn't be too weighted toward the reputatio of the schools' programs if the certificate is to satiate your hobby. If you plan to indulge in a career at some point you'll still have some formal learning along with real life experience which can be just, or more valuable. I wouldn't worry about the Nikon propensity at Humber, just kick a** with your Canon gear ;) You're right about the History course...Mohawk has a requirement for the same and although I came away with a better understanding of the evolution of photography it was a **YAWN** and I know I would have enjoyed my Sundays far more outdoors shooting. At least I took it during the winter semester.

Sounds like Humber has some outstanding instructors - got there, listen, learn & most importantly "experience" it and come away with what you need.

Good luck!

Lindsey

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 29, 2008 17:10 |  #10

Thanks a lot for the advice Lindsey. Well I wasn't so much talking about reputation just because of the name of the College but more about the quality of education. But having only 3 courses out of 6 that sounds interesting to me at Sheridan kinds of defeats the purpose.

Plus I believe that real life experience is the real deal in learning any trade, be it engineering, computer programming and photography probably even more; but its nice to have solid knwoledge base.

Rafael T.

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2008 07:20 |  #11

I forgot to say Lindsay.. I will definetly kick some **s with my Canon gear :)

Rafael T.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 30, 2008 20:18 |  #12

telles75 wrote in post #5222796 (external link)
I forgot to say Lindsay.. I will definetly kick some **s with my Canon gear :)

Glad to hear it! ;)

Lindsey

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2008 13:41 |  #13

All setup for Humber. Starting classes in May 5th, I hope I did the right selection. At least I can still cancel before the 3rd class in case I found the first 2 classes a joke, or the instructor a rookie.

Rafael T.

Calbeee
189 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 01, 2008 17:58 |  #14

i support ryerson, cuz i go there :D
not that program though

Zvon
102 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 01, 2008 20:49 |  #15

telles75 wrote in post #5238828 (external link)
All setup for Humber. Starting classes in May 5th, I hope I did the right selection. At least I can still cancel before the 3rd class in case I found the first 2 classes a joke, or the instructor a rookie.

which class did you end up signing up for?

sponsored links

19,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best photography program in Toronto
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.